Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Gun shops don't have a monopoly on "Sh*t you see"....

Try working as a range officer right before hunting season opens.....

Everything from new guns with scopes on backwards to old timers with a dusty box of shells checking the old ought-6 for minute of paper plate accuracy.....

Amusing...frustrating...and down right scary...all at the same time...

I did it for three years when I first retired.....that was enough to last a lifetime.....

I was working sight in weekend one year at a range. A good friend was working at the bench with me and his shooter could not hit paper at a hundred yards. My friend looked at the scope to make sure it was tight and checked out the rifle then discovered the shooter was shooting 25-06 out of a 30-06.

From then on we all checked the rifles nd the ammunition before letting anyone shoot.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Sycamore
... Now if I could just find a deer wearing a paper plate during hunting season!

Sycamore

Our off-season practice should definitely consist of shooting actual deer.

And some people figure being able to hit a paper plate at 100yrds is good enough....
Sounds like you're one of em.....

Not to quibble, but hitting a paper plate at a hundred yards would suffice for about 99% of the deer killed.

Depends on where you hunt. Some places you can't see a hundred yards while other places three hundred yars is an average range.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Everything from new guns with scopes on backwards to old timers with a dusty box of shells checking the old ought-6 for minute of paper plate accuracy.....

I did it for three years when I first retired.....that was enough to last a lifetime.....

BIL got invited to go to a hunt camp with some old timers. Said old boy shows up with a beat to death Mark V Weatherby and a box of minimum 25 year old shells. They all take a shot or 2 when they get there just to make sure rifles are GTG except old boy. BIL asks him if he's gonna shoot and dude tells him he doesn't have too. He bought 2 boxes of the exact same ammo when he bought the gun X years ago and sighted it in then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by k20350

BIL got invited to go to a hunt camp with some old timers. Said old boy shows up with a beat to death Mark V Weatherby and a box of minimum 25 year old shells. They all take a shot or 2 when they get there just to make sure rifles are GTG except old boy. BIL asks him if he's gonna shoot and dude tells him he doesn't have too. He bought 2 boxes of the exact same ammo when he bought the gun X years ago and sighted it in then.

Maybe his mark V is like my Dad's Winchester 88.
It was made in 59, he bought it new a year or so later. Borrowed a scope from my uncle for a couple of years, then bought a Leupold 3X9, and had it bore sighted.

He also bought a buncha Federal, and when he checked it at the range it was dead on 1 1/2 inches high, just what he wanted.
About 40 years later he ran out of the Federal ammo he had, so I provided him with reloads.

When we checked they were about 1/2 inch to the left of what he had been using, so he told me to leave the scope alone, and I did.
Been a year or so since I shot that gun but it was still right on the money for well over 50 years now..

Still the guys a idiot for not checking, we did that 88 before every hunt.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Another one was many years ago when the guy asked if the gas operated shotgun he'd just bought took regular or unleaded and asked where the "tank" was, and yes, he was serious...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not always the customers or the counter help, sometimes it's the owner. Went into a small LGS a couple weeks ago to look at a Glock 43. Guy has one and brings it out so I can see it. He gets out a Shield and a Sig P238 so I can look them over as well. When I pick up the Sig, he proudly announces, it's a 1911! I nodded affirmative and moved on out the door.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was talking to the WalMart gun counter fella today to find out if they had the 199 RARs. They don't.

They do have one with a "pica ninny" rail. It was all I could do....

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Google picaninny and obama's picture is right there.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by EdM
Anyone one buying any thing should know precisely what they are buying and what it is worth. If not, they deserve to be hosed.
Well yeah, if the seller has no character.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who was always so proud of himself when he buys a $5000 shotgun or rifle from a recent widow for $300.

I'm making a list of which guys my wife should sell my stuff to if I croak... grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Sycamore
... Now if I could just find a deer wearing a paper plate during hunting season!

Sycamore

Our off-season practice should definitely consist of shooting actual beer.

I thought that was for the college guys, or is my computer just being dyslexic again? wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by poboy
Google picaninny and obama's picture is right there.
laugh laugh laugh

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good catch!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
back in the sixties i used to go in to a small shop in cali.
the owner was a done it more, better and first type of a guy.
one year after he returned from a hunting trip to Colorado i asked him how he did.
he puffed up and said he got a 40 inch mulie with one shot 600 yards across a canyon. said deer was running flat out cross hill, held on its nose, and broke its neck.
i asked for years what load he was using but he never would say.
would love to load some of those miracle rounds.
oh yeah that 40 inch rack got stolen by the outfitter and the butcher stole 150 lbs of meat off the 300 lb deer.
it was fun to listen to him though.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
It's not always the customers or the counter help, sometimes it's the owner. Went into a small LGS a couple weeks ago to look at a Glock 43. Guy has one and brings it out so I can see it. He gets out a Shield and a Sig P238 so I can look them over as well. When I pick up the Sig, he proudly announces, it's a 1911! I nodded affirmative and moved on out the door.

I had a number of customers over the year proudly proclaim their Remington was a Pre-64....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Another one was many years ago when the guy asked if the gas operated shotgun he'd just bought took regular or unleaded and asked where the "tank" was, and yes, he was serious...

LOL, I DO believe you. Guy I worked with started talking about how he loved to deer hunt. That year I was using an AR and he wanted to know what makes an AR. I said, "well, it's a gas operated, semi-auto rifle, like most Semi's"

"Well see, that's the problem, why do you feel you need THAT much firepower to shoot a deer. Gas operated, seriously, a gun so powerful it has a motor. See, I'm for basic firearms rights, love hunting but this as where you gun nuts go off on your own."

I tried, briefly to explain, but realized futility and said the serenity prayer and let it go. Worst part of owning an AR is that gas motor, the recoil keeps going out and if you forget to put stabil in it or use ethanol it is a BEOTCH to get started...make it even better his dream (not hired yet) was to use his biology degree to work for the DNR!

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
It's not always the customers or the counter help, sometimes it's the owner.

Stopped in a LGS in Texas and was eyeballing a raghorn bull elk on the wall. Owner comes up, tells me he got it in New Mexico...with a 600 yard shot, no less. And when they were done packing it out and processing it, he had 800 pounds of meat...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dang, i'm going to New Mexico.
been many a elk that weighed 1k lbs by the time i had them packed out but strangely i only got 200 or so lbs of meat. heavy bones i guess laugh laugh

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Many many years ago this short stocky guy came into my shop. He opened up a gun case and inside it was a FAL. He asked me if I had a magazine for it. Looked at it and sure enough it had the selector switch. Told him it was illegal to have and I went into the house after telling him to just leave it and I would take care of it for him. He left and took it with him but I got his license number. Phoned ATF in San Francisco and told them what happened. A month later a ATF agent I knew very well came in and told me I did the right thing. Apparently they were setting me up. The head hauncho at that time was a real Pr--k. Good lesson learned though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
70's worked with a guy that had a 30-06 like no other, would tell us how special it was.
Would shoot dead on at 800 yards.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 700LH
70's worked with a guy that had a 30-06 like no other, would tell us how special it was.
Would shoot dead on at 800 yards.

Gawd your a cynical one. Maybe it had a good barrel.

Did he mention how much holdunder at 100 yds?

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.