Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image]

Was thinking cock when the boys went on point but I was able to keep it together enough to get 3 shots off.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Hey, finally got my dogs into some pheasants!!!! They were completely nuts for the first hours.. It was like Wheeeeeeee it's that time of year again!!! Kate knew the ropes, but Maggie caught on quickly.. She made a flush and retrieve on our first limit of the season.. Needless to say I was proud of her and Kate!! While they were a bit wild, if they could type they might say the old man missed a couple easy shots!!
We had a great time with beautiful weather!! Nothing to do but repeat it for a week or so!!!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rooster!!!! Or if you are with DeFlave Cock!!!!

Glad you got into them and the Dogs did well. Get some more and enjoy the week.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks battue,we got into them again today near the same spot.. will post tomorrow.. Happy hunting!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nice shooting boys.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Hey, finally got my dogs into some pheasants!!!! They were completely nuts for the first hours.. It was like Wheeeeeeee it's that time of year again!!! Kate knew the ropes, but Maggie caught on quickly.. She made a flush and retrieve on our first limit of the season.. Needless to say I was proud of her and Kate!! While they were a bit wild, if they could type they might say the old man missed a couple easy shots!!
We had a great time with beautiful weather!! Nothing to do but repeat it for a week or so!!!!

[Linked Image]

GREAT photo!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Three of us and 4 Dogs flushed or pointed around 15 today on Gamelands. Most ran and flushed out of range. 7 gave chances and 6 came out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice job battue.. They out foxed us today.. Miss a fair shot.. Maggie was trailing to my left, and Kate to the right. 180 degrees apart.. Maggie had the bird, but it jumped a bit far.. Some excuse is better than none.!!!! She is turning into a first rate dog.. She bores though brush like it is not there, and has and excellent nose.. I guess we all like to brag on our children... Katie is good, but I think Maggie is more aggressive.. Beautiful dogs there!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Again, not the real deal. But they have been out a bit. Couple Roosters took off real early, three we shot were sitting tight and 3 made a half decent game of it.

Glad your new Dog is coming along and bragging on them is what we do.

After Pheasant drove N to try for a last chance Turkey. No luck, but did run into this guy/girl who probably has just recently been kicked out of the family. I guess around 150lbs or so. We stared at each other for a bit and then:

"Whinnie the Poo, knew what to do...."

[Linked Image]

His hide was shining perfect, the pic doesn't do it credit.

Last edited by battue; 11/11/16.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool picture!! Were you shooting one of you doubles on the pheasant hunt? What loads do you use? I have found these RST loads just great... Right now I have for my 12
3dram -1 1/4ozs of # 5's. An easy shooting load that kills well.. When we are though hunting for a day or so, we are going to Billings... I want to pick up a couple bx. of WW Whitewing loads.. 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 -7's.. The old timers say it was a great grouse load!! Keep up the fine pictures!! Makes me a bit homesick for those mountains!!!!

Molon Labe
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, the old Parker that was my Fathers. It is heavier than what I like-especially in the thick for Grouse-but I have little doubt, that on Pheasants, where I usually have more time I shoot it better.

Load is a mild one. Estate brand-16ga-2.5dram-1oz-No6-1165FPS. Haven't stretched it past 30yards or so this year, but it has pretty much given nothing but head flops and they haven't gone far from where they hit the ground. There is another load of Remington 1oz, 5's. Out in the 4 Runner, so the rest of the particulars not currently sure of, but again it is a mild load.

Out in the more open real Pheasant country, I may want harder shot if I found the ranges were commonly further.

Could have done better on the last couple Bird pictures, but the two guys I hunt with are not much into pics or waiting around. grin

T
T
Great pics Battue. Can't say that I've run into a bear yet while birdhunting.

T
T
Wow...that's a crawl full of worms!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tgoode
Great pics Battue. Can't say that I've run into a bear yet while birdhunting.

Not all that uncommon here in Pa. Once in late Grouse season, followed a set of Grouse tracks to a blowdown. No Grouse, but the Dog started barking. Looked hard, and down in a depression was Blackie. He/she slowly raised it head-at which time, I jumped back-but then just as slowly laid it back down.

We moved off and let him be.

Couple other times we have crossed paths. Once in Spring turkey when I inadvertently got between a Sow and Cubs. This involved some teeth snapping, but I backed off and they went on their way.

Another time Dog put two Cubs up a tree and wouldn't come. The Sow sat down and watched about 50-60 yards off.
Finally I had to go and get him and she continued her sit. Got him away, stayed back and watched. They finally came down and off all three went.

Last edited by battue; 11/13/16.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, Great stuff about the bears.. They are far more common there in Pa. than 50 years ago.. Exciting stuff!! Never had anything like that happen in the 45 years I have been west..

We are still hunting pheasants.. First couple days were limits.. Now we are getting one or two a day.. But Maggie is still young.. When she is NOT being a PITA, she is wonderful.. Her joy at getting a rooster is something to see!!

Been shooting 5's, but they are about gone so will switch to Fed.. 3 1/4 -1 1/4 -#6.. A wonderful time of year!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Another single yesterday!!! Maggie is celebrating !!!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats and a head pat for Maggie!!!!

Three of us and 4 Dogs-1 four month old Pointer pup-roamed around some big fields for 5.5hours, almost hit 8miles, and ended up with somewhere around 20 points and flushes and came home with 5. Good day and the temps finally started cooling off. Toby shined with a couple long retrieves.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/14/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wyo, Battue, nice hunting and pics!

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Sam, thanks..

battue, your little guy is coming along fine.. Maggie gets a pat on the head, but tonight she was a little wild.. Found a honey hole missed by others.. Still for her first season, she is doing fine..

16 ga. Parker????

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He is coming along ok for his second year. Getting a lot of contacts, and sometimes seems ready to fly. Then the next you know he isn't. If he learns to work air scent better, then he should take off. Still with enough contacts, hopefully the switches will all turn on. Already getting solid on finding downed Birds. Kinda amazing really for a two year old. Retrieving is solid.

16Ga old Parker. Made to be a Pheasant gun and still doing just that.

Last edited by battue; 11/14/16.

Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 80 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.