Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd like to steal that little white dog and let it live in the house.
(and take it hunting)

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/14/16.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sam,

You let that little white Dog live outside, and he may somehow find his one mean gene and turn into a biter. Must admit, I'm sure you would find him more than a little fun to ride along with in the truck while checking things out. Curious is one of his strong points, and nothing is allowed to track his yard. Almost ritual for him wake up and then go stand up at the window to look out and see if any have violated his space overnight.

In addition, a horny little toad. For some reason he took a liking to a Buds big Pointer. He was looking for a hole; any hole. Eye, ear, you name it, didn't matter.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like my kind of dog!

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Last evening we found a honey hole that had been over looked til we stumbled in there.. What a find..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm batting about .300 on huns this year for some reason

Good shooting

Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
[Linked Image]

Was thinking cock when the boys went on point but I was able to keep it together enough to get 3 shots off.
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
[Linked Image]

Was thinking cock when the boys went on point but I was able to keep it together enough to get 3 shots off.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think the reason is they're Huns and not easy.

That triple surprised me.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Great pics everyone.

Been really enjoying this!

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by battue
Rooster!!!! Or if you are with DeFlave Cock!!!!

I named my dog Rooster so the guys that come hunting with me have to yell COCK! You know...so they don't confuse the dog and stuff....It really has nothing to do with me giggling like a 12 year old when they yell COCK!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There are some really great pics on here guys! Love it!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Giving my new Model 11 a workout in New Mexico.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Last edited by battue; 11/18/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They must have recently put Birds out because they were everywhere. Also should have been four Cocks in that bunch, but there was some missing going on.

Two Buds and four other friends that tolerate us.

4-month-old pup in the background pointed his first Bird.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
YO
Originally Posted by battue
They must have recently put Birds out because they were everywhere. Also should have been four Cocks in that bunch, but there was some missing going on.

Two Buds and four other friends that tolerate us.

4-month-old pup in the background pointed his first Bird.

[Linked Image]

NICE

always great to witness a dogs first point

dogs hunt together well?

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!!! Looks like good cover.. Parker????

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ribka,

I didn't get to see the point. However, from the details, it was on a Hen that was willing to wait. Brian, the guy on the left who also has the other Pointer, said she stopped and fortunately he was close. The bird flushed and naturally the pup broke.

On the whole, they work well. The adult Pointer is usually out ahead of mine. If their beeper goes off, then I can usually bring the flushers in and not mess up the point. Toby the black Springer pretty much would hear the beeper and stop. However, with the new guy the jealousy gene has kicked in and he wants to be the first in on a retrieve.

If the flushers pick-up the scent first then it is theirs to go for it.

Often if they pick-up scent, I let them work it and I catch up to the guys down the line, if it is one they don't put up quickly.

Flushers Toby and Merlot do almost all of the retrieving and finding down birds.

Didn't have many big runners today in that these Birds hadn't been out that long. However, a Bird that gets up and is crossing or going away at 30 yards isn't all that much different than the real thing. The GC does a better than good job of having the Birds flight conditioned.

WCH:

Brian on the left uses a Beretta Ultralight O/U. Sam on the right was using an SKB SxS 20Ga. Usually uses a semi 12.

I used the old Parker 16 again.

Addition: on that place, I could only guess the acreage of cover like that planted exclusively for Pheasants. Maybe a thousand. Different pieces all over. Some of the individual pieces, it takes 4-5hours to hunt the majority of it. Great place to introduce a Dog new to the game. They should get a gang of contacts that speeds up the learning curve.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gear update:

Had two pairs of pants that pretty much gave up the ghost at the same time. Frayed, buttons falling off, holes in pockets, etc. Picked up a pair of LL Bean "Uplander pro Brier pants". A little heavy if it is warm, but a solid pair of upland pants.

On sale, 20% off.

K
kcl Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Great pic Harry! Is Brian's pup from Gary's Line?

Go hard or go Home!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ken,

Yes, the Pup came from Gary. Don't know much about the male-but you can bet he has proved himself-but the female is one Ruffed Grouse finding machine. The GL Pheasants wouldn't stand a chance. Not much to look at, but has everything else. The sad part is she hit 5YO and that is the end of the line for Gary. If I was into Pointers I would bring her home. In addition, a gentle soul. Unfortunately, she is going to a shooting preserve. Damn shame, she deserves a home.

Thanks for the weather heads-up. The rain and wind arrived. frown

Last edited by battue; 11/19/16.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, not birds, but saw you got your old hunting grounds back!! Great news enjoy!! We are heading home tomorrow,, Great pheasant trip.. Some goose hunting, maybe some elk hunts then off to the south for birds.. Great luck with Pa.s deer season.. Maybe next year!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes it is good news, for me anyways, not so much for someone else who lost a chunk of cash. Could have done fine without it, but looking forward to roaming around on it again for Deer. Used to be Grouse Central, now I hate to shoot one there.

There is a big lake/swamp close by where we were hunting Pheasants; from the sounds of it, the Geese were being hit fairly hard. Those big boomers were ringing out frequently early.

Good luck with the rest of your hunts and keep us up to date with what is going on.

Winter blew in overnight. Took a long time to get here.

Last edited by battue; 11/19/16.

Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.