Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

About 9 years back I took the wife’s car to a local shop to have the fender repaired. Job looked great for years but recently a small area of paint flaked off (she also added a small scratch by it).

Car is a 2001 Mustang GT conv. we bought in 2002, wife drives 9k a year so the car just hit 150k miles. It looks and runs like it did new but this spot is bugging her so it is now bugging me (day and nite) smile

Before I take it to a body shop what is the process repair something like this?

Ted
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I should add I checked it closely and can not find any other area's were the paint is loose.

Obsessively wife is ready for a new GT conv but this one runs great and gets 24 mpg on trips.

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Selling and replacing with a new GT350R

Me

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A proper repair on base coat clear is to paint the whole panel.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
"Selling and replacing with a new GT350R'

^^^or this^^

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by teal
Selling and replacing with a new GT350R

Saw the GT350R on Spike TV, one sweet car but not in this years budget.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, if it's flaking off the panel needs to be stripped; you shouldn't paint at all over the existing paint. Prep work is the key to a good job, and taking off all trim is part of that.

Sometimes trim gets damaged removing it, and anything glued on should be replaced. As old as the car is, the pinstripes might not match perfectly with the rest of the side, but good vendors can usually get it very close.

Done right, it's a bit expensive.

Okie is absolutely correct about painting the entire panel.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dont' feel too bad. Repaint the panel.

You could have a ford like I do.... 01, everyone the color of mine I've seen, has done what mine is... clear coat coming off...

The whole damn thing has to be painted. Ford has zero liability.... [bleep].

I've had fords for a long time, first wiht a bad paint job though.

But I digress... I'll do it one day, or it'll just stay the way it is, I can't afford to pay someone to fix fords mistake.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was doing it and I had spot like that I would use a razor blade and try and peel it further. Some cars you could scrape the whole panel clean of base coat and clear coat. If you just feather that, prime and paint it will just peel again if it's not taken care of. Depending on how far it peels, you will likely get into blending surrounding panels to guarantee color match, especially silver.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most shops here, even back then offer lifetime warranty on paint or prep defects.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
6 pack of PBR, couple Pall Malls and a 99 cent rattle can and you'll be good to go.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Knew a guy that cut the top off an El Camino and overlayed his buggered top. Rattle canned and sanded, then clearcoated, looked like a $5000 paint job. Not clear on how much beer was needed to complete the project.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie
A proper repair on base coat clear is to paint the whole panel.

If you try to paint the entire panel I can guarantee you it won't match!

If the rest of the paint on the fender is solid, sand, prime and feather the spot, blend the base color in the area of the repair and clear the entire panel. If the edges of the flaked off spot are suspect, I'd test adhesion with high pressure air and then a razor blade. If it's loose, you will need to strip and base coat the entire panel, blend the base coat out onto adjoining panels then clear all panels that have been base coated.

Cancer Sucks
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey! This is the Fire! A bullethole decal will take care of that then you trade for another gun, er car. crazy

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Strip and repaint

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by old_willys
[Linked Image]

About 9 years back I took the wife’s car to a local shop to have the fender repaired. Job looked great for years but recently a small area of paint flaked off (she also added a small scratch by it).

Car is a 2001 Mustang GT conv. we bought in 2002, wife drives 9k a year so the car just hit 150k miles. It looks and runs like it did new but this spot is bugging her so it is now bugging me (day and nite) smile

Before I take it to a body shop what is the process repair something like this?

CALLING NORTHERN DAVE!!!!!!!!!

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was really hoping this was about body paint....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I was really hoping this was about body paint....

grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What you need to look for is someone who bills themselves as an "automotive reconditioner" instead of a body shop. They're guys that specialize in making small repairs and blending the paint. All new car dealerships will know who the good ones in the area are, they use them to fix little dings on the new vehicles that come in and got dinged up in transit. It happens a lot more than people know about on new vehicles and they won't tell you it's been repaired.

I had a 2013 BMW 535I with a little curb rash on the lower left front bumper cover. I called the paintless dent repair guy I'd used before and asked him who to take for it. He sent me to a guy that runs Deep South Automotive Reconditioning in Pearl MS. I know that doesn't do you any good in CA. He specializes in minor touch ups for new car dealerships. He had me in and out in a day and when I picked it up I was shocked, it was blended perfectly and I absolutely could not tell in any way that it had been repaired. Most perfect repair job I'd ever seen, looked factory flawless. I think he charged me about $250.

A regular body shop is going to want to repaint the whole panel. One of these reconditioning guys can touch it up without going to that extreme. Call a local high end dealership (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.) and ask who they use for their touch ups, they'll have a guy on speed dial because new cars are constantly getting dinged in transit & they have to fix them perfectly before they go on the lot.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
What you need to look for is someone who bills themselves as an "automotive reconditioner" instead of a body shop. They're guys that specialize in making small repairs and blending the paint. All new car dealerships will know who the good ones in the area are, they use them to fix little dings on the new vehicles that come in and got dinged up in transit. It happens a lot more than people know about on new vehicles and they won't tell you it's been repaired.

I had a 2013 BMW 535I with a little curb rash on the lower left front bumper cover. I called the paintless dent repair guy I'd used before and asked him who to take for it. He sent me to a guy that runs Deep South Automotive Reconditioning in Pearl MS. I know that doesn't do you any good in CA. He specializes in minor touch ups for new car dealerships. He had me in and out in a day and when I picked it up I was shocked, it was blended perfectly and I absolutely could not tell in any way that it had been repaired. Most perfect repair job I'd ever seen, looked factory flawless. I think he charged me about $250.

A regular body shop is going to want to repaint the whole panel. One of these reconditioning guys can touch it up without going to that extreme. Call a local high end dealership (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.) and ask who they use for their touch ups, they'll have a guy on speed dial because new cars are constantly getting dinged in transit & they have to fix them perfectly before they go on the lot.

Thanks to all who responded, Crow Hunter now that I think about I have seen work done by "automotive reconditioner" tech's before that came out very nice.

thanks!

Last edited by old_willys; 08/30/16.

Ted
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 1_deuce, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.