Print Thread
Hop To
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Being an "old man" now, I can hunt whitetail with a crossbow. I got a deal on a TenPoint TitanSS and so far I like it, it shoots well. Gonna try QAD Exodus broadheads dont like mechanicals. My question is...I was thinkin of trying to quiet the bow a bit and wondering if I should try the rubber Bowjax string silencers, or try the TenPoint dampener which attaches to rail and you adjust it so string hits it I guess. All new to me.
So wondering what y'all use or tried and were you happy with results.
Worth the money? Leave it alone? I dunno. What say ye...

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have yet to see any crossbow quieted enough to make a difference to Bambi. As far as making it suit you better, That's a personal thing. I shoot an Excalibur Matrix 330. It's loud. It annoys me. Because it is very, very accurate, I did some precise shooting on four deer last year. At 20 yards none of the four so much as twitched before the arrow went through. All four were relaxed at the shot. All four knew I was there (neighborhood deer).

If you're going to shoot twitchy deer at fifty yards, everything you can do will help, but I would doubt you can do enough without taking a serious speed hit to matter one iota at that range.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
First, Miles is correct, "quiet" and crossbow are in opposite directions. Some are better than others, but they all are louder than you would hope.

Use the TenPoint Dampener, it will help some to stop the string, and slow the rebound viberations.

I wouldn't use the Bowjax, the bowstring on the crossbow tends to cut/squeeze the in-string silencers in two in a short amount of time. Your average x-bow poundage is 150-175, and the tension on the string is intense. Anything between the individual strings in the string bundle doesn't usually last long.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you've never killed deer with a bow before, Take your binos and go where you can study them at length. Learn to see the muscles bunch in the front legs and he angles of the humerus/shoulder as Bambi loads the muscles to move quickly.

A relaxed deer is easy to kill at 30-35 yards. A deer that's loaded up will be closer to the ground and the shoulders are easy to see the loading. Shooting a deer ready to depart is very risky with a bow and even a very quiet bow is still going to be a problem. I couldn't hear my No-Cam HTR at 50 yards I am certain. I am also certain Bambi could hear it. With 50-60 FPS speed difference between the Matrix 330 and the No-Cam, shooting at an alert deer at 30-35 yards probably will have less perfect results with the No-Cam. At 20 yards I am dubious that a deer, even an alert deer has enough time to turn a good shot into a bad one with the Matrix. Maybe one all set to go could, but those deer are unmistakable and you just do not shoot them with a bow. At 20 yards a relaxed deer needs time to hear the bow, recognize it as a threat, recognize where it came from, start to load the muscles and begin to move BEFORE it can affect a good shot.

Just because a deer smells you doesn't mean it's alerted and ready to go. Almost nowhere are the deer unfamiliar with people. Even heavily hunted deer are quite used to just sitting still and letting you walk by. Pay attention to deer doing this and you'll soon learn the noise issue is just another small thing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.