Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a glitch going with a rifle and hoping to get some advice. The rifle is a Rem 7mag, bedded in a McMillan swirly. Speed lock and Rifle Basix trigger set at 2.5 lbs. The history is the rifle is capable of great groups with several loads (at the present I'm working with 162 A max's and 162 ELD x's).

The trouble I'm having is that whether on a bi-pod with a rear bag, front rest and bags or bags alone the crosshair usually moves-generally up and to the right no matter how I position or hold the rifle (this is when dropping the pin on an empty chamber). As a result the groups will open up. Not always but more often than not.

I've checked the culprits I'm aware of like the bolt handle touching the stock, relieved the mag box to make sure there is no contact, the firing pin spring is straight and not dragging.

Any ideas of what may be the cause besides a loose nut behind the trigger? grin grin

Last edited by davidlea; 08/30/16.

Golden............
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by davidlea

Any ideas of what may be the cause besides a loose nut behind the trigger? grin grin

What about recoil control via NPA?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Happens when dropping the pin on an empty chamber. Don't know what NPA means.

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NPA = Natural point of aim.
How you need to be set up so as not to negatively influence the shot.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Happens when dropping the pin on an empty chamber. Don't know what NPA means.

Missed the part about the empty chamber. NPA affects how you muscle the rifle onto target, as well as how the rifle bounces off your shoulder, and can cause poor follow-through.

What scope and scope mounts?

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Make sure you are applying straight-to-the-rear pressure with your trigger finger.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
NPA can cause that when dry firing.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I've had a scope or two where something came loose inside that acted like this. Probably a good idea to at least try a different (known good) scope, to eliminate that possibility.

It could certainly be trigger technique too, as implied above.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I doubt this is a scope or mount issue, this rifle has worn a bunch over time but the scope now is a NXS 5.5-22x50 in NF rings. Last set up was a Leupold 4.5-14x42 with M1's in Talley lw's. I paid a lot of attention to finger position, stock pressure, etc. Doesn't happen with other rigs-even the very light ones. Someone mentioned bolt timing, and I was curious if it could somehow be related to the trigger. I have trouble breaking this trigger but it scales at 2.5 lbs.

Golden............
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The rifle wants to shoot, this is the set up
[Linked Image]

100yds with ELD X's
[Linked Image]

200yds with A max's
[Linked Image]

Golden............
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
your comment about having trouble breaking the trigger, and thats not related to weight, IE I had trouble with a 8 oz two stage once....

Would lead me to think you are developing muscle tension while waiting on it to break.

one solution, to shoot IE dry fire faster, don't take as much time and see if anything changes.

NPA can damn sure affect dry firing bounce.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you for the input rost495. That makes sense-the biggest puzzle is for whatever reason it is only happening with this rifle. A learning experience for sure.

Golden............
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get your firing pin bushed and I'll bet your problem goes away. You say the firing pin is not dragging, how do you know?

Last edited by jsthntn247; 08/31/16.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Get your firing pin bushed and I'll bet your problem goes away. You say the firing pin is not dragging, how do you know?

I meant to say the spring is not dragging-it's very straight.

Turns out the bolt handle was striking the receiver on the underside (I put some mole skin on it for now and the hop went away)

As for the trigger problem the Rifle Basix trigger was crooked to one side causing me to torque it. I replaced it with a take off from a KS and it's straight and breaks easily. I'm guessing the reason the RB broke at 2.5 on the scale was due to the narrow hook instead of a finger.

I appreciate all the input. Hopefully this one goes back to normal. I'm puzzled about the trigger-I've had nothing but good luck with Rifle Basix's, I thought at first it might have been a bedding issue that canted the trigger but that turned out not to be the case.

Golden............
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Put a fired cartridge that still has a primer seated into the chamber, dry fire the rifle and see what happens. You should be able to balance a quarter on the barrel at the muzzle that won't fall off when the pin falls.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.