Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11404456 08/29/16
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
NO rush RE opinions, I was about to order a set for CArolyn and I, I missed that part of my notes from last year...

We've done smartwool, and Carolyn is sensitive to wool, but smart wool works.

Evidently its been some time since we ordered and didn't realize the bottoms were 100 bucks these days.

I don't mind spending money, but just wanted to see if there were better options, not always dollar wise but quality wise.

If smart wool is still "top of the line" IE good quality and all, we'll order some when we get back, or maybe drop into SW in Wasilla on the way home if we have time etc...

But looking for opinions. I know I did buy another brand once of merino, it was cheaper, don't recall the name, but it was certainly a bit itchier and Carolyn didn't care much for it.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not an Alaskan by a far stretch, but I have been buying First Light stuff whenever I catch it on sale. Midway has had end of season clearances on lots of First Light stuff over the past couple of years. Its good stuff. Its what I wear on any of my out of state hunting / camping trips. It really softens up after a wash. Though itchiness is pretty subjective...good luck finding whatever works for her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, check Core4Element, I know they have merino wool base layers just not sure about size.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Why core4? Price? softness? longevity?

Off to google.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a couple of pieces of base layer merino wool garments and they've held up well for about 3-4 years now. Price was pretty good too.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
cool, thanks, price was sure better than 100 a piece. I guess we got likely 10 years out of the smart wool so not a bad deal...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for First Lite. I have several pieces and like it alot. I've also bought some Icebreaker and have been happy with it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've layered KUIU's Merino wool from Alaska to New Mexico - great stuff.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
First Lite is amazing stuff. I take it to some bad places in really bad weather and I won't hunt with another type of base layer.

It is expensive but its worth it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've got a set of woolpower used to be called ulfrotte. Good stuff. I don't notice any itch.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The Minus 33 stuff has been great for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the smartwool and the ice breaker stuff.

I like it all. I think the smart wool is better, but I've been able to find the ice breaker for half at STP.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Another vote for First lite. If looking for Core4 element i believe Camofire has a lot of Core4 on sale.

Also like Kuiu stuff.

Both brands i dont think are itchy.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Might not help at the moment but a long distance shopper might keep an eye on sierra outdoors. Kind of a clearing house for all kinds of stuff. Ranges from hardcore granola hiking to hunting stuff. Have scored Merino on there 50-70% off several times...but again, not when you want it but when its on sale...depending on the day, any of the brands mentioned might appear.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not an Alaskan now, but

I have an older pair of Thermawool from Terramar, purchased from CampMor I believe. Not sure how their newer stuff stacks up. Mine is 100% merino or close to it. One of their newer products is 70% polyester fleece with merino.

Their website shows merino long bottoms for $35:

http://terramarsports.com/catalog/mens/m-bottoms

Mine have held up for over a decade, numerous hunts down into single digit territory. I have no problem with itching, they work for me as I sweat with synthetics next to my skin.

Good luck,
Geno

PS, keep us informed if you find something nice at a decent price.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Ibex...buy it on sale or at the outlet on sale. Top quality

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Not an Alaskan now, but

I have an older pair of Thermawool from Terramar, purchased from CampMor I believe. Not sure how their newer stuff stacks up. Mine is 100% merino or close to it. One of their newer products is 70% polyester fleece with merino.

Their website shows merino long bottoms for $35:

http://terramarsports.com/catalog/mens/m-bottoms

Mine have held up for over a decade, numerous hunts down into single digit territory. I have no problem with itching, they work for me as I sweat with synthetics next to my skin.

Good luck,
Geno

PS, keep us informed if you find something nice at a decent price.

Thanks! This will have a year to accomplish... terramar is the cheaper brand now that you mentioned the name I rmeember, it was more itchy than smartwool FWIW. DIdn't bother me any though. Carolyn was sensitive to it though.

Silk is the other thing we'll have to add some to by next year too.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Ibex
Is great stuff!!
I love first lite as well, but am wearing holes in them quicker than most.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
An option might be a thin silk layer under the "cheaper/scratchier" merino layer? That gives one the option of just using the silk in slightly less cold situations.

Good luck again,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had asthma and allergies since i was 6 months old,56yrs old now.I could not even be around wool. I started with merino socks and moved on to base layers ages ago Merino wool does not bother me, I met 1 guy on a caribou hunt that merino made him itch but real wool did'nt.

Callin Varmints
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.