Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A month or so ago, I was at the Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby Montana. My buddy, who didn't shoot, and I, who did, noticed quite a number of people shooting Ruger single shot big bores who had trouble ejecting and loading new rounds into the chamber to fire their second shot. There was a lot of fumbling around and just plain messing up. I thought I would pass this on to you so that if you are so inclinded to shoot your number 1 or 3 or whatever next year, you might practice a bit under pressure to make sure that everything works as expected. This note is not to say that the number 1 shooters were less than excellent, they weren't. They were all excellent. It is only to pass on an observation and helpful tip.

Rolly
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a perfect reason to burn more IMR 4227 or SR 4759 (or maybe a more 'modern' number), to sling wheelweights (after a trip through a block of Lyman iron) down range. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well worded Klik...and agree whole heartedly. I run a bunch of reduced power cast loads through my 1B (.30-06). If I was really serious about using my Number 1 as a DGR though, I'd also have the safety modified / replaced for a clear ejection path.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
If I was really serious about using my Number 1 as a DGR though....

I would definitely have my head examined.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Haha...but where's your dedication to the single shot mindset? grin

This is the single shot forum after all..... whistle

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Many's the time that naught but a single ball has stood between me and the Gates of Hell..." - Burl Ives, "The Big Country"

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
If I was really serious about using my Number 1 as a DGR though....

I would definitely have my head examined.

The 'problem' with a good single shot as it applies to hunting, whether big, dangerous animals, or simply hunting in general, is mostly a cerebral exercise better left to hamsters IMO. wink I'll take a #1 any day over many of the run-of-the-mill rifle set-ups I see at the public range. Sure, they might require a bit more time in practice, but that's one of the best kinds of problems a person could have IMO. laugh

(BTW, my subscription to lands-kissing, steel-straining loaded ammo ran out even before I began to find an ever-increasing number of #1s in my gun safe. shocked grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Also remember that No.1's chambered in some cartridges will eject the case and it hits the safety. People have said tilt the rifle to clear it etc., but it shouldn't need that. The empty case should clear the rifle, like all other ejector rifles.

See the fun Craig Boddington had clearing his at the end of the African Rfiles dvd.

Had my 450-400 No.1 safety modified (actually new one made and inlet into top strap) to stop that happening.

Last edited by rockdoc; 08/30/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really wish the safety were shaped to allow brass to eject at the range. If I don't want it to eject I can just put my thumb there, that's what I do with bolt actions.

I run the phoenix version of the Libby shoot.
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html
I use No1 rifles and so do several of the regulars (even a coupla original Farkies showed up a few times!)

I have observed that ejecting the brass is one problem. I tilt the rifle to the side, or up.

Loading the next one is a problem if the rifle is not angled downwards. If you tilt the rifle up to drop the brass or when shooting over some structure, after ejecting you slip a new round into the chamber with your trigger hand, then bring that hand down to the lever, the loaded round starts to slide out, its partway out when you close the lever and the block grabs the brass and both stop moving.

The solution to that is to tilt the rifle downward to load, OR, open your trigger hand wide after inserting the round and keep the tip of the thumb on the head of the case to prevent it from sliding back, while squeezing the lever closed with the fingers. Doing it this way, you can load a No1 at any angle, even vertical.

Two aftermarket No1 parts I love to see would be a user-replaceable safety slide that allows brass to eject properly and a replacement "express" style rear sight.

Ya'll shoot good!

Poole

(by the way, the case "head" is where the "headstamp" and primer are, the thing at the other end is not called a "head", its called a "bullet", but folks on this forum know that.)

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Poole, I also had a fixed blade express sight made for mine.

Someone mentioned, somewhere, the the express blade of another Ruger model fits, must dig around to see if I can find which model it is. One of the recent bolt actioned rifles,

Prior to having the rear sight blade made, I tried to source the same sight as used on the Boddington series of No. 1's, to no avail.

Cheers,

Chris

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My early issue ('69 '70) Number 1's had no such issue while my later model (2001) did (the safety button is just not as well fitted). The modification was simple enough and I turn the ejector spring tension down so the case barely clears anyway. GD

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by greydog
I turn the ejector spring tension down so the case barely clears anyway. GD

Ditto....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by muffin; 09/06/16.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 86 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.