Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Trigger warnings and safes spaces...what a bunch of whiney little momma's boys. There's nothing they deserve more than to be laughed at.

TRIGGER WARNING: physics, trigonometry, sine, cosine, tangent, vector, force, work, energy, stress, quiz, grade

Auburn University professor issues sarcastic trigger warning making fun of 'silly' trend

One Auburn University engineering professor has brought the national debate over trigger warnings into the classroom by posting a sarcastic warning near the top of the syllabus for one of his Fall 2016 courses.

Prof. Peter Schwartz's tongue-in-cheek take on trigger warnings – which have become ubiquitous on many campuses across the country – warns students that the course will subject them to such horrors as physics, work and quizzes.

It's an attempt at humor from a man who on Monday told AL.com that he finds trigger warnings "silly" and he would never issue a serious trigger warning.

"I think trigger warnings are a joke to begin with and I wanted to see what one might look like in an engineering course. Looks kind of silly, doesn't it? That (sic) because it is," he said via email. Auburn did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

Often defined as a means of letting students know that material being taught in a course may upset them, the trigger warning has become increasingly common – and controversial – in recent months and years.

Schwartz's joke takes a bold stance on a topic that has caused great consternation among the many students, professors and advocates of various stripes across the nation who support their widespread use. But the institution of trigger warnings and safe spaces at many universities and colleges has also triggered a backlash.

"TRIGGER WARNING: physics, trigonometry, sine, cosine, tangent, vector, force, work, energy, stress, quiz, grade," reads Schwartz's warning, which is emblazoned in bright red near the top of the syllabus for his Fall 2016 ENGR 2100 — Fundamentals of Engineering Mechanics course.

The trigger warning is back in the national news again as debate rages on over the University of Chicago's announcement earlier this month that it would not be issuing them going forward.

Proponents of trigger warnings argue that they are necessary for a number of reasons, the most important of which is to ensure that survivors of severe trauma like sexual assault or attempted suicide are not re-traumatized and triggered into reliving harmful emotions and experiences.

But opponents of trigger warnings – and their close cousin, safe spaces, which are closed environments created to allow people to feel safe from trauma and harmful language – claim that they coddle already overly sensitive Millennial students who will have no such crutches when they graduate and enter the working world.

Asked why he decided to delve into a topic as controversial as the trigger warning, Schwartz said it was something of a lark, and that this was the first time he had made such a joke on a syllabus.

"I did it just because I was feeling exceptionally mischievous that day and didn't have anything better to do," he said. "You're the first person to say anything about it. I'm surprised you found it."

He added that "Auburn has no policy that I know of" regarding trigger warnings, and that "[n]o, they have not responded" to his faux warning.

Link to the actual syllabus

From al.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, trigger warnings are kind of like the list of potential allergens on food, except they are designed to keep total pussys from being offended - in essence, making them even bigger pussys?

Last edited by RWE; 08/30/16. Reason: clarity
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, until last week I had no idea such a thing existed.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
stunning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love my Alma Mater!
A big middle finger to the Leftest education establishment.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My name on a course syllabus would have been a trigger warning, if that bullshit term had been in use at the time. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All my profs had trigger warnings back in the late 70's. Something along the lines of "if you don't like it you can get the **** out of my classroom." Very effective.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Auburn University continues to very conservative, as far as Universities go. Large ROTC program, big School of Engineering and Ag program. Engineers and farm boys as well as Army brats tend to be conservative. Engineering professors (as well as Physics and Chemistry profs really don't care about how the students "feel", but rather what they know. War Eagle!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Add math profs to that list.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

REALLY good thing the concept didn't exist when I was teaching college!

I subjected my students to such horrors as chemistry,light algebra,neuroscience (! ),genetics and lots of other stuff too horrible and traumatic to mention.

Last edited by ingwe; 08/30/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In lower division courses I committed atrocities like using the textbook chosen by the department, following, in pace, topics, and assigned problems, the syllabus made by the department, testing at the level of the worked examples and assigned problems from the syllabus, and even going so far as testing using a worked out problem from the review session the class meeting before the test.

Oooooh, bad stuff. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

I subjected my students to such horrors as chemistry,light algebra,neuroscience (! ),genetics and lots of other stuff too horrible and traumatic to mention.

Leopard print underwear?

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mac84
Originally Posted by ingwe

Leopard print underwear?

sick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
In lower division courses I committed atrocities like using the textbook chosen by the department, following, in pace, topics, and assigned problems, the syllabus made by the department, testing at the level of the worked examples and assigned problems from the syllabus, and even going so far as testing using a worked out problem from the review session the class meeting before the test.

Oooooh, bad stuff. grin

Better hope the Atty Gerneral and DOJ don't find out about this!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Often the result of a "student course review" for one of my classes was a bimodal distribution. Written comments from review sheets contributing to the upper mode were reasonably articulate. Lower mode contributors were mostly lacking in command of the language. Here's one I'll never forget: "He a but."

Not "He is a butthole."

Not even "He's a butt."

Nope, it was "He a but."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Proper reply is: "...and you another!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
All my profs had trigger warnings back in the late 70's. Something along the lines of "if you don't like it you can get the **** out of my classroom." Very effective.
That's right! Trigger warnings have been around as long as I can recall. Except they were never called that. First one that comes to my mind is; " If this seems like a bad fit you know where the door is".

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RWE
stunning.

Does or can anything coming from ,so called, academia surprise us anymore?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I heard they have one of those lists in their athletic dept. too. Among other things, it lists block, tackle, pass, catch...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Solve the quadratic equation.

Integrate using partial fractions.

Explain, or prove just about anything.

Find the derivative of f(x)=sqrt(x) using the limit definition.

All of these were terror triggers for some. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.