Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11408478 08/30/16
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who here has Catahoula's and what do you use them for. My neighbor has a litter that is about ready and I'm wondering if they make good squirrel dogs, no hogs around here. How about temperament, brain power, and hunting drive?

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hunting buddy has one. He uses her for Squirrels and just and all around dog. Great dog, very good disposition, loves kids.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xverminator
Who here has Catahoula's and what do you use them for. My neighbor has a litter that is about ready and I'm wondering if they make good squirrel dogs, no hogs around here. How about temperament, brain power, and hunting drive?

X-VERMINATOR

The "Breed Standard" for all the Cur breeds is in the mind of each breeder or "breed organizations" formed by [mostly] puppy mills.

"Treeing" climbing game is an unnatural trait for dogs and is only achieved by selective breeding, so, if at least one of the parents will tree, there is a chance [NOT 50-50] some of the pups will tree.

Whether true, or not, one persistent "knock" on Catahoulas is that they are dog fighters.

Last edited by curdog4570; 08/30/16.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If I wanted a dedicated squirrel dog I would get a mountain cur.

Our Catahoula is a great dog and will really get after the varmints. They will hunt anything you want them to. Ours even retrieves pretty well. They have a lot if gusto and make good pets with proper socialization. They are a bit rough so they take some work to make them good all around pets.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had 2 that I trained on lions and other predators.

The only rub with them was that once you turned on that kill switch in them, there was no turning it off. Anything was fair game to them.

I gave them to a guy that hunted lions with dogs.

They worked well for him.

It just wasn't a good fit for what I wanted out of a dog.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a Catahoula cross( McNab), used him as a brush dog. He would find cattle and hold them up till I got there. He was a little tough on a cow if she was prone to fight. He was a good dog and got along with the rest of my dogs. I gave him to a friend when I changed country ( moved to open country lol). Other than that one dog I haven't had any experience with the breed. I do know a lot of the hog hunters out here use them. Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, what happened to American Hoggers? That was a damned good show.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by xverminator

X-VERMINATOR
Think about a Blue Tick. They make a danged good family pet IMO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I used to talk to Ronnie pretty often. Not heard from him in a year or so.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I work with people that use them for hog catching. One of the guys at work catches wild hogs with them , ties their legs together and loads them in a trailer or on horseback sells them to a commercial high fence hunting operation.
As he says for city people to shoot. They are smart tough loyal to their owner dogs. I think some of them tree.
Treeing curs are usually preferred to hounds for squirrels because they don't bark as much trailing on the ground. Squirrels are more likely to go in a hole when the dog barks from a long way off like hounds do.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

He was funny as hell, especially when he started pawing at maw. lol

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a lab for the family pet. She's a big sweetie! Looking for something to either tree squirrels or decoy coyotes. Anybody ever decoy coyotes with a Catahoula?

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Saw him at the LGS in Brownwood 4 months ago. I don't know him but I'm down in Brownwood a lot.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Saw him at the LGS in Brownwood 4 months ago. I don't know him but I'm down in Brownwood a lot.

He was probably chasin' the dry cows when you saw him! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Were you in Weakley Watson's Gun Store? I stop in there pretty often when I'm headed to the hill country ranch I manage. Nice little small town store.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.