Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a few questions about your overall tax burden. I know there is no state income tax. what are your property taxes like? what are property taxes like on a 400k home?

the other is vehicle registration. from what I am seeing it costs $900 to register a pickup truck, is that correct??

what is the sale tax in your area?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sales tax is county dependent. In Teton County (Jackson Hole) it's 6% in Lincoln County it's 5%. It's the same situation with registering a vehicle. You pay tax on the blue book value of the vehicle. Property taxes are again county dependent. Teton County is more than Lincoln County which is more than say, Sublette County.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Sales tax is county dependent. In Teton County (Jackson Hole) it's 6% in Lincoln County it's 5%. It's the same situation with registering a vehicle. You pay tax on the blue book value of the vehicle. Property taxes are again county dependent. Teton County is more than Lincoln County which is more than say, Sublette County.

so if a guy has a 1 year old f150 that is worth 40k what is it going to cost to register the vehicle? I know it will vary by county but the difference should not be that much. is $900 totally off??

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Call a county courthouse in Wyoming and ask them.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I pay $181.00 on my '03 Duramax if that helps.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the statewide sales tax is 4% and then whatever the county adds on. I think it is 5% total in Hot Springs.

Groceries and prescriptions are not taxed with sales taxes.

Most of the counties have a mapserver website. Google the name of the county followed by "map server" and it should come up. Then you can zoom in to a specific property and find out all kinds of info on it. From size, owners, exact property taxes etc. It's a pretty cool feature. Most have pics of the property too.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
what are you guys paying to register vehicles? is it an insane amount like $900 for fairly new vehicles?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of years ago my wife and I bought a 34 foot 5th wheel RV, 8 years old, paid $20,000, paid $1000 tax and licensing for tags. Now annual cost is $185.

All my vehicles are older and now at fixed cost, none over $185.00

If you are interested in the taxes for a specific vehicle, call the court house in the county where you will be residing. If you buy a vehicle, you are going to pay sales tax on it.

Last edited by jnyork; 08/30/16.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have any vehicles new enough to know.

I think once they are older than 10 years it stays the same every year after that.

It would be easy to call the county clerk's office, give them the vehicle specs and they'll tell you exactly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Real estate taxes are not bad, local taxes lower than most places, no state income tax. Sounds good, but wait, they'll get you in other ways. Annual license fees(vehicles,trailers,ext.) are painful if you own anything newer or expensive. Example: our 12 year old camper license plate cost over $430.00, annually.Oh,and we get to pay an additional $50.00/year, because it's heavy!!! The fees do reduce annually for the first 5 years then remain at that value forever( my 84 Ford PU is $72.00/year)Then there's the extra "sticker" you buy annually for all watercraft(even required on my d"#$ canoe)! Then there's the ORV( off road vehicle ) sticker,for your 4 wheeler/side by side. We're paying a total of $ 1550.00 for all of our vehicles,rv,boat,utility trailers, ect. And of course Wy. is pretty d@:" proud of their hunting/fishing licenses as well! We used to have some of the cheaper fuel(gas/diesel), but higher fuel taxes and local entrapanuers " price gouging ",has gotten fuel pretty pricey! There's plenty more, but I'm having difficulty typing when trying to see through the anger!!! So,in summary, if you don't want expensive toys,vehicles, travel in state,or enjoy the out of doors ect. it's really reasonable living expenses! mad memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/30/16.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny you should ask. This posted today.
Wyoming is #1.

Best Tax States

Last edited by NVhntr; 08/30/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It looks everything is great Wyoming skins you alive on vehicle registration. I wish someone would confirm. I pay I think 290 for my truck in Utah the same truck would be 900 ish there.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cumminscowboy: Here in Montana once your vehicle gets to be 10 years old you no longer pay vehicle registration taxes (excise tax?) on it.
Out of the five vehicles my wife and I own we no longer pay any taxes on any of them.
We planned this and keep our vehicles in tip top shape (so we won't have to buy new ones!)!
I have a Dodge Cummins 4x4 Diesel, a Cadillac, a Jeep and two Chevrolets - again zero yearly taxes on our small fleet.
By the way there is NO sales tax in Montana!
I hope someone can answer your question with more specificity.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It looks everything is great Wyoming skins you alive on vehicle registration. I wish someone would confirm. I pay I think 290 for my truck in Utah the same truck would be 900 ish there.

I can confirm... It goes off the original purchase price of your vehicle. I bought a new truck in 2013 and my plates were $980. It goes down every year. They were $550 this year.

Public landowner...
R
R
cunmminscowboy - I live in Cody (Park County), plate fees: 2016 Ram Power Wagon: $690, 1997 Ford F250 4x4 diesel: $143, 1996 F250 4x2 gas: $108. Can't remember what my wifes 2015 Lincoln MKC was but I think around $600.

Property taxes on my house (current value $270K) runs $1228 but we've lived in it a long time so not certain if that's why it's so low. Guessin' if you bought it at that price the taxes would be a tad higher!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Property taxes are not bad at all. Here in Cheyenne where I live, it's about 0.7% of property evaluation

R
R
Sales tax in Park County is 4%. I goofed on my property tax, it is $1288 per year - darned cheap compared to surrounding states!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Funny you should ask. This posted today.
Wyoming is #1.

Best Tax States
Depends on where you look..

According to the Tax Foundation, WY is 48th.. http://taxfoundation.org/state-tax-climate/wyoming

SD is 49th, and I can license my truck, car, bikes and campers for about TONS less than WY.. http://taxfoundation.org/state-tax-climate/south-dakota

It's the vehicle license fees in WY that have precluded considering a move there..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My non-expert thought on the vehicle tax in WY is that it functions like a luxury tax. People that drive inexpensive or older cars generally don't get gigged very badly.

I should add to what others have said that there is no sales tax on food bought in grocery stores, but you would pay it on prepared food in restaurants.

The state is in the middle of a revenue crunch, so things may change in some respects in order to raise revenue. Only time will tell.

Now I'm off to hunt elk and deer on public land with a $52 resident elk tag, a $38 resident deer tag, a $16 archery license, and I need less than a tank of gas per round trip. (Also need a conservation stamp, but I bought a lifetime stamp a long time ago.)

Trade offs. . . .

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also would suggest as part of due diligence looking at other taxes that aren't styled as such. For example, my car insurance today is still only about half of what it was costing me 20 years ago in New Orleans. That was a DUI/uninsured motorist tax. For someone with kids, the cost of educating a kid there ranges from $5,000 a year for kindergarten to around $15,000 for your run of the mill Catholic high school. Nobody in their right mind would send a kid to public school there unless it happened to be in a super cool high end district or the school was one of the ones for gifted and talented kids. Then there was crime, which is a tax levied by an individual upon another.

Look at the total package.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08/30/16. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 69 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.