Hop To
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by skinner
On more than one occasion I have had someone bring in a disassembled gun with the parts in a shoebox. After getting everything back in its proper place I find more parts(screws,springs,etc.) still in the box. Thinking I may have missed something, I take it apart again and then reassemble. I finally give up and call the customer. He tells me that he wasn't sure if all those springs,screws,etc. went with that gun so he just put them in th box to be sure.

Geeze . You too? smile

I had probably a dozen guys come into the shop with a box of parts and "My kid took this apart.".....yada.

The ONLY guy that ever came in with " I took " etc got a discount!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by tedthorn
A young lady dropped by my shop and asked if I could fix her handgun.

She had been shooting one day and forgot it inside her open truck bed....for about 3 weeks

I looked it over and told her she had been rewarded a $400 lesson in responsibility

I offered her $50 for it but sent her on her way..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little Break Free, and some 0000 steel wool would have that looking brand new............ wink

Yep. That will buff right o.....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by las

She had been shooting one day and forgot it inside her open truck bed....for about 3 weeks

I looked it over and told her she had been rewarded a $400 lesson in responsibility

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little Break Free, and some 0000 steel wool would have that looking brand new............ wink

Is that what they call rust bluing? Ain't been around guns much but hear'd that rust bluing can make a gun valuuable.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Once had a guy answer "yes" on the "are you a fugitive from justice?" question on the 4473.
I looked at him and asked if everything on the form was correct.

"Yes" then he shrugged his shoulders and said "I'm already in enough trouble, I figured I didn't need more"

I grabbed the gun off the counter and told him to GTFO

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another guy came in with his buddy, playing Mr know it all. They were looking for a 30-06, but wanted one with a 26" barrel. I said we don't have any with 26" barrel's, we have 22 or 24"
"well he wants a 26", because they're more accurate"

I tried to explain how he was backwords in his thinking but he just laughed and told his buddy, "lets go find somebody who knows something"

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many moons ago I ran a large west Texas gun store during the height of the Brady Bill pre-buying panic, so we were super busy.

Couple of nerds come in one day all dressed up in new suits and new shiny shoes and one of them is carrying a AR-15 with a mag inserted in the mag well.
I moved quickly towards the door to grab the rifle and both nerds flip out their BATF ID's. So I ask dufus #1 if it was loaded, and he said he "forgot" to check.
Said they had just confiscated it in a " raid" and they wanted to know if our gunsmith could take a look at it and tell them if it was a "machine gun" or not.???
I took the rifle and pulled the mag, racked the charging handle. at which time a live round hit the floor! Handed it back to him and told him no it's not!

He said "How can you tell" ? I said it has no selector switch & he said "What's That" ?

I motioned for him to follow me to the gunsmith shop in the back of the store, replaced the mag, charged a round, stuck the barrel in our discharge tank, and said "watch this! "
I then flipped the safety off and asked him to step back and let two rounds go in the tank.

I then removed the mag, cleared the rifle and told him next time he should just fire the rifle & see for yourself. I pitched the loaded mag into our trash can, handed him the rifle and showed him the door. cool
Funny thing though is that we had a big BATF audit at the Store the very next week! shocked
Never saw dufus one or dufus two again though. grin

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/30/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I get asked all the time..."Got any 7mm ammo?" When I ask, which one,...deer in headlights.

Had a guy tell me he is 257 Wby shot 7mm bullets...didn't believe me when I said that the 7mm was 284 caliber.

Plenty of people claim the AO is either a range finder or a drop compensator.

Had a girl tell me she shot her first mulled deer buck,with a 243 win, at 600 yard...off hand. Same girl, same gun, and an elk at 400. Offered to go shooting with her, I wanted to see her technique and improve mine...never made it.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It was really bad at the Walmart in Tomball. No clue.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
It's not always the customers or the counter help, sometimes it's the owner. Went into a small LGS a couple weeks ago to look at a Glock 43. Guy has one and brings it out so I can see it. He gets out a Shield and a Sig P238 so I can look them over as well. When I pick up the Sig, he proudly announces, it's a 1911! I nodded affirmative and moved on out the door.

I had a number of customers over the year proudly proclaim their Remington was a Pre-64....

Well, it might have been a Rem 700 built by Remington in 1963! smile

Tell them about the ultra rare Pre-64 Glock.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
...or the guy that REFUSED TO LISTED when advised against buying .22 ammo for his Glock 22.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dang - these stories have made me laugh more in the last few days than I would have ever believed...

They're priceless.. laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coyote268
Many many years ago this short stocky guy came into my shop. He opened up a gun case and inside it was a FAL. He asked me if I had a magazine for it. Looked at it and sure enough it had the selector switch. Told him it was illegal to have and I went into the house after telling him to just leave it and I would take care of it for him. He left and took it with him but I got his license number. Phoned ATF in San Francisco and told them what happened. A month later a ATF agent I knew very well came in and told me I did the right thing. Apparently they were setting me up. The head hauncho at that time was a real Pr--k. Good lesson learned though.

Having a selector switch, even one that moves to the FA position, does not make a FAL NFA. In order to be NFA, it has to have a sear cut receiver.
If you look closely, you'll notice that DSA FALs retain full selector movement, but are not NFA.
http://www.dsarms.com/p-14141-dsa-f...ium-threaded-barrel-fixed-buttstock.aspx

How nice of you to narc on a fellow patriot. mad

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I get asked all the time..."Got any 7mm ammo?" When I ask, which one,...deer in headlights.

Plenty of people claim the AO is either a range finder or a drop compensator.

Had a girl tell me she shot her first mulled deer buck,with a 243 win, at 600 yard...off hand. Same girl, same gun, and an elk at 400. Offered to go shooting with her, I wanted to see her technique and improve mine...never made it.

All of these.

On a daily basis.

Seriously.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC

Having a selector switch, even one that moves to the FA position, does not make a FAL NFA. In order to be NFA, it has to have a sear cut receiver.
If you look closely, you'll notice that DSA FALs retain full selector movement, but are not NFA.
http://www.dsarms.com/p-14141-dsa-f...ium-threaded-barrel-fixed-buttstock.aspx

How nice of you to narc on a fellow patriot. mad

As it turned out, he was being set up by an overly ambitious ATF supervisor. He was correct to be suspicious, and he kept his FFL. If he was buying the firearm, it certainly would have been his responsibility to examine the receiver more closely, but he smelled a rat and responded appropriately.

Last edited by mudhen; 08/30/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Several years ago, a friend called me and asked me if I knew a gunsmith who would work on the trigger on his new gun, a trigger job to make it lighter and crisp, thompson contender or one of them single shots, don't remember exactly which one, but it was chambered in Lazzeroni 300 warbird. I sent him to the best gunsmith I knew. He called me back, cussing, raising all kinds of heck and told me the gunsmith was an idiot. The gunsmith would not touch it. Gunsmith told him there was no way the gun he had could stand up to the 300 warbird.

A couple weeks later, after the gun blew up, he still has a scar where waht he believes was the casing hit him in the forehead, my friend purchased a ruger no 1, chambered it in 300 warbird and had the "idiot" gunsmith work on it. He has never had an issue with it.

Last edited by headhunter130; 08/30/16.

NRA Benefactor life member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Mudhen, yeah I knew something was up. Little chubby guy in a VW wagon plus he was handling the gun like he knew what he was doing. Better to be safe than sorry.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
During my college years (about 15 years ago) I worked at a local K-Mart in the sporting goods department. Of course that meant manning the counter, filling out hunting / fishing licenses and selling guns / ammo.

What you see in an actual gun shop is bad enough as it is...but the people in those stores are usually there with every intention of going to a gun shop. Mix in the common public folk that fill up a cheap department store and you have the makings of epic stupidity.

Anti-gunners who always berated you (the company) for selling guns and ammo. The anti-hunters who did the same when we would roll out our hunting gear. The guys who always knew EVERYTHING about guns because their 'pappy' had raised them as a shooter since they were in diapers.

The constant use of "grams" instead of "grains"...
Anyone that showed up with a buddy (or girlfriend) in tow was the best shot, never missed, and always killed the biggest animal of the hunting group.

EVERYONE is an ex military sniper--EVERYONE. And if they aren't, their buddy is. No info about their military career though...they did 'secret' stuff and couldn't talk about it. They also can't tell you anything about muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficients, or minutes of angle, but they can make one shot kills out to 1K yards on demand....without practice. And the really good ones do it offhand.

One of the regular ex-snipers would always talk about his prowess with his .22-250 and how he would just bang the 800 yard steel, one after another. Of course, it was offhand....and this was long before the .22 cal fast twist craze. One payday when I had some cash in my wallet (rare), I offered him a bet. You show me your shooting skills and prove what you're saying and I'll give you $300--even showed him the money. He was "too busy for all that".

It got to the point that I dreaded walking up to that counter because I feared what the next idiot was going to ask me...it was nice being in that department though because I got to stay on top of all the clearanced stuff. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by las

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that what they call rust bluing? Ain't been around guns much but hear'd that rust bluing can make a gun valuuable.

Isn't that the latest rage: Desert Camo Case Coloring....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Isn't that the latest rage: Desert Camo Case Coloring....

laugh

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
What about the flip side? You know the clueless gun store clerks, or the outright deceitful ones. I remember looking for a 7mm-08 one time and the clerk, who I know knew better, trying to sell me a rifle chambered in 7.62x39 and telling me it was "basically the same thing". I remember watching a clerk talk a man out of a .260 or 7mm-08 for his very smallish ten year old son and sell him a .300 WSM. And I could go on.

Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.