Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

Looking at replacing my '01 Foreman with a new quad and been looking at the King Quad 750, Grizzly 700, and Kodiak 700. All with power steering. I can get the Kodiak for a full $2k below the price of the others so I am leaning that direction. Anyone have any opinions on the new Kodiaks with the 700 motors?

Usage will be clearing some snow, hunting bush & muskeg, and trail riding.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You will love the power steering

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Kodiak is bare bones compared to the others. The 4x4 lever sucks unless you get the SE, seat is different than the Grizz, ride height is lower, brakes and clutch are different.

That said, it's A LOT more comfortable than your foreman!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
suspension is not as good as the grizzly either.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I was in the market for a new quad I woukd look long and hard st the Kawasaki Brute Force. I bought one two years ago and have ran the snot out of it plowing snow and hauling trailers full of firewood. It hasn't missed a beat.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a Brute Force sitting in the shed with a blown motor. They are notorious for overheating and burning oil.

I've been looking at the Yamaha's. One dealer I spoke with said if you are going to use it for plowing or any type of work, get the Kodiak. According to him, they have better transmissions for plowing etc. and a sealed wet brake in the rear where the grizzlies have a piston style brake.

I don't like that the Kodiak has a lever and cable 4wd drive switch though. That is dumb IMO.

They both have the 700 motor and by all accounts has been an excellent motor for Yamaha.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just traded in my 459 grizzly for the 700. I was told by my dealer that the grizzly is better for plowing than the Kodak because of the limited slip feature in the Grizzly. I have had yamahas for 27 years and have never had any major problems with them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7

They both have the 700 motor and by all accounts has been an excellent motor for Yamaha.

I know several people with (well used)700's and haven't heard of any engine issues. Pretty much zero issues at all with the Grizzlies.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I don't like that the Kodiak has a lever and cable 4wd drive switch though. That is dumb IMO.

The Kodiak SE model has the push button 4wd switch like the Griz.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Grizzly has a higher clearence than the Kodak due to bigger tires. My dealer didn't see to be a fan of the brakes on the Kodiak.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ha! Just goes to show that opinions are like azzholes. Everyone has one. Even ATV dealers.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a Brute Force sitting in the shed with a blown motor. They are notorious for overheating and burning oil.

I've been looking at the Yamaha's. One dealer I spoke with said if you are going to use it for plowing or any type of work, get the Kodiak. According to him, they have better transmissions for plowing etc. and a sealed wet brake in the rear where the grizzlies have a piston style brake.

The dealer is FOS Jimmy. THey have the same transmission but different clutches.

The Kodiak SE has the push button 4x4/diff-loc. If you're going to spend that much money, you might as well get the Grizzly with more clearance, stiffer suspension, and better breaks.

I'd take a Grizz 10 of 10 times over the Kodiak, no matter if I had work to do or not.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ha! Just goes to show that opinions are like azzholes. Everyone has one. Even ATV dealers.

The Griz seemed to have a bit different set of plastics on it too. The seat on the griz is a lot more comfortable IMO, like a polaris seat.

You'll also get a bit bigger tires, though that doesn't do much for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bigger tires give you an extra inch clearance. It doesn't seem like a lot but it is if you are riding in rocky terrain.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm curious as to why the Kodiak and Grizzly have different braking systems. The sealed wet brake sounds like the better system...No?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think you get stronger brakes on the Griz, but the Kodiak sealed system is lower maintenance. If you are going through a lot of mud and water I would think the sealed brake would be a better choice.

Overall I think the Kodiak is designed for lower end torque, less bells and whistles, and more focused on work. From what I understand the engines are the same, but the Kodiak is tuned for lower end and the clutch system is different.

That all said, once you get to the Kodiak SE you are pretty much at the low end of the Griz price range. I'm holding off on getting a new one as Yamaha's finance rates are at 8.9% up here. Suspect that they will sweeten the deal towards the end of the year. They had 0%, a free winch, and a $49 plow last winter.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

The overheating issue only occurs if you allow the radiator to become clogged with mud. That's a neglect issue.
The same basic motor has been around along time and has a good reputation.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm curious as to why the Kodiak and Grizzly have different braking systems. The sealed wet brake sounds like the better system...No?

Price.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SamSteele
I think you get stronger brakes on the Griz, but the Kodiak sealed system is lower maintenance. If you are going through a lot of mud and water I would think the sealed brake would be a better choice.

Overall I think the Kodiak is designed for lower end torque, less bells and whistles, and more focused on work. From what I understand the engines are the same, but the Kodiak is tuned for lower end and the clutch system is different.

That all said, once you get to the Kodiak SE you are pretty much at the low end of the Griz price range. I'm holding off on getting a new one as Yamaha's finance rates are at 8.9% up here. Suspect that they will sweeten the deal towards the end of the year. They had 0%, a free winch, and a $49 plow last winter.

SS

The engine is the same. The clutching is different. You'll rev a bit higher on the Grizz before it engages. but not really a big deal from what I understand. The Kodiak is being sold as more of a work horse type of machine. I'm assuming thy're going after the honda foreman type of buyer.

The only reason I could see getting a Kodiak SE is because of the color. You do get a lot more machine in the Grizzly. I havent rode on both, but the seat to me is a TON more comfortable on the Grizzly as well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I agree. I looked at the 2016 Grizz and Kodiak holdovers the other day and the Grizz was way more comfortable to sit on. The Kodiak kind of had that Honda rancher feel to me.

They had the Grizzly LE with heated seat, grips and thumb warmer for $9k. MSRP is $10,900.(I still can't wrap my head around the prices these days)

It is sweet though:

[Linked Image]

The salesman "thought" that the extended 5 year warranty was around $880 and with that you got a free winch.

Last edited by Rooster7; 09/10/16.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 1eyedmule, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,284 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.