huh? listed?

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by 700LH
70's worked with a guy that had a 30-06 like no other, would tell us how special it was.
Would shoot dead on at 800 yards.

That had to be Harold and his M742 Remington? Or maybe not. He always said 900 yards. laugh

I've been blessed with better, a fat man in overalls was telling everyone at the counter his 270 was dead on at 1200, but a little low out at 1300. crazy

I ask what kind of rifle?

Remington 760 pump he said.

I ask, what bullet you shooting?

180 'gram' he said.

I said, if you can shoot like that their are outfits that will pay you a a damn good wage for doing so.

him: HUUHHH? crazy

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
5 gun store clerks have failed to make a sale to my wife, who came into the store educated on what she wanted, with money in hand to buy onhand guns, or order the gun she was looking for.

They all slipped into, "honey let me tell you what a lady needs, show you a lady gun, thats too much gun for you , heres what you need... etc etc"

One purchase was a Sako Bavarian in .270, i was there for that one.. Fella REALLY muffed that one up good.

Her: this is NICE! (shoulders, works bolt to see how well she can do it wrong handed being a lefty)
Me: look, its priced a little high, but if it makes you happy just get it
Counter monkey: wait wait wait, thats a 270 dear, let me show you the same one in 243?? It'll be better for a woman.
Her: I shoot a 270 already
Him: what i mean to say is, 270 is too much gun for shooting deer around here! You would only need a 270 if you hunted deer in south texas!
Her: I hunt south texas, with a 270.
Me: you are on your own fella.....
Him: Im just saying most women think they can shoot a 270 and they cant.....
Her: hands beautiful rifle back across counter, says, "thanks , now let me show you what $1500 looks like walking away from you. "

This is a very well stocked store, sells mostly high end guns. They keep double rifles and such in stock, You'd think they'd understand how to close a sale! haha

And this is just ONE occurrence of the sort that shes had, in a few stores.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JoeBob
What about the flip side? You know the clueless gun store clerks, or the outright deceitful ones.

Yep, plenty of that too...I've seen my share. But that wasn't the intent of the OP's discussion...

Originally Posted by JoeBob
I remember watching a clerk talk a man out of a .260 or 7mm-08 for his very smallish ten year old son and sell him a .300 WSM. And I could go on.

Inversely, this reminds me of a guy that came in looking to get his (small) 14yo boy a new deer rifle. I nonchalantly asked where he would be hunting and he told me they only hunt the delta here (think brushy tangles, swamps, etc; no food plots or major clearings). I asked if he was interested in a .30-30 or a small chambered bolt action like a .243, 7mm-08, etc.

"Nope! We don't want any of those. We want to get him a .300 RUM. I don't want any animals gettin' away after we shoot 'em."

I asked if he was serious. That ruffled his feathers. I tried to explain that you don't need that much power for a >100yd shot on a 120lb deer. And when I told him if he was deadset we would have to order it...he succinctly stormed out with his boy in tow.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

What you see in an actual gun shop is bad enough as it is...but the people in those stores are usually there with every intention of going to a gun shop. Mix in the common public folk that fill up a cheap department store and you have the makings of epic stupidity.

Damn good quote there laugh

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jmd025
5 gun store clerks have failed to make a sale to my wife, who came into the store educated on what she wanted, with money in hand to buy onhand guns, or order the gun she was looking for.

They all slipped into, "honey let me tell you what a lady needs, show you a lady gun, thats too much gun for you , heres what you need... etc etc"

One purchase was a Sako Bavarian in .270, i was there for that one.. Fella REALLY muffed that one up good.

Her: this is NICE! (shoulders, works bolt to see how well she can do it wrong handed being a lefty)
Counter monkey: wait wait wait, thats a 270 dear, let me show you the same one in 243?? It'll be better for a woman.
Him: what i mean to say is, 270 is too much gun for shooting deer around here! You would only need a 270 if you hunted deer in south texas!
Her: hands beautiful rifle back across counter, says, "thanks , now let me show you what $1500 looks like walking away from you. "

This is a very well stocked store, sells mostly high end guns. They keep double rifles and such in stock, You'd think they'd understand how to close a sale! haha

Don't take this the wrong way fella, but I like your wife.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
...or the guy that REFUSED TO LISTED when advised against buying .22 ammo for his Glock 22.

Refused to listed?

As in he wouldn't lean to one side?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
...or the guy that REFUSED TO LISTED when advised against buying .22 ammo for his Glock 22.

Refused to listed?

As in he wouldn't lean to one side?
I don't know if it's the campfire or my computer (on which I upgrade the software each time it's offered), but the spell check is driving me nuts when I am trying to post on this site. On my last post (one on this thread), it substituted another word for the word I was typing four times. Unfortunately, I only caught three of them and had to edit the post to correct the fourth (I typed 'he" and it corrected it to "the"). You have to proofread your posts carefully.

(I just reread my post here and saw that the spell check removed the word "on" in my second sentence, apparently thinking that I had typed "one" twice.) mad

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ben, I blame that kind of thing on "terminal dyslexia"

Sounds much better than the truth - "terminal stupidity" in my case. smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Long time back when I worked at Walmart and I always felt sorry for the older lady who was in doing her regular shopping and was told by her husband to bring home a box of shells. She would produce an antique flap from a box of shells and ask for "that kind" no matter what I did to explain that Western was no longer an ammo brand, but an identical load in Winchester was available, she would not take it and then give me lip because she knew her husband would be nasty when she got home empty handed. I learned just to say, "sorry, but the state of Illinois requires all ammo to be sold only to FOID holders so your husband HAS to come in for himself to get the shells unless you have a FOID."
Then about an hour later some old coot would come in looking to give me schit with the same box flap and after a short argument I suggested that he visit the locally owned gun shop because they might still have a box sitting on the self of exactly what he wanted.
Oh, and the shells were for just a standard 12 gauge 6 shot load that the guy was going to shoot squirrels with....

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by jmd025

Don't take this the wrong way fella, but I like your wife.

Hey i like her allright too ha

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
gunshop prostaff tackleberrys are da chit!!!!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No wonder we have to read 7 pages of manufacturer warnings before we get to the operating instructions for a Frisbie.

There are really stupid people out there!

1Minute
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Scott F
It is getting hard to find someone like you gentlemen who actually know what you are talking about behind any gun counter today. I have lots of stories from my side of the gun counter that keep me from shaking my head.

One of the most recent involved someone asking for 410 powder who was rudely informed there were lots of powders that would work in a 410 and he needed to go home and learn about reloading before he came back.

I went to Cabela's and asked is they carried Accurate powders and was told any powder could be accurate if I knew what I was doing. It was my last trip to Cabela's.

Now that's a good one!

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't go in and ask questions at a store anymore. Lots of them have their own ideas.

Local store down the road used to be like that, until I finally pulled the owner aside one day and said look, I've done this a bit too, and I don't agree with what you like. I like my own, you don't need to "sell" me anything, when I come in, I have something specific I"m after. You have it, I"m buying it. No sales pitch or loss of time needed. If it doesn't work out its on me, not on you. And if you started carrying Barnes bullets I'd buy all of mine from you to instead of mail ordering them.

The very next time I walked in, I asked for a specific, Rem rifle, low quantity 300/221 threaded... he didn't have, he would start looking for it that day... wife called me a few weeks later, gave me a price and I asked if she wanted my CC number... nope good enough.

We've been fine ever since.

Just don't try to sell me 150 ballistic tips in 300 wtby ammo for my deer ammo again... LOL.

BUT having worked the inside counter side of this when I was in school, I know plenty of the flip side too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by skinner
A couple of years ago I heard a Cabelas employee tell a customer that the scope he just bought would fit on his rifles picadilly rail.

LOL What a doofus! Everyone knows it's supposed to be called a PICANINNY rail, right?!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
" The Sh*t You See Working In A Gun Store.."

So Walt walks in to a gun store.........

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Raeford
" The Sh*t You See Working In A Gun Store.."

So Walt walks in to a gun store.........

Is he going door to door in the neighborhood he just moved into to notify them of his pedo sex offender status?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep had the BATF undercover try to sell me a "Schmiser", speed dialed the S.O. and said I need backup NOW, then drew down on him and floored him and cuffed him.

Two agents ran in the door cred packs out yelling stop. After we got it sorted out I asked if they might just be a bit dumb pulling that schit on a sworn deputy of the county!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine's father ran a small gun shop for years in PENN and would tell us all kinds of stuff from over the years. When the 7MM REM MAG came out in the early 60s and everyone had to have one, he had all types of Mausers and a few rolling blocks come in with the owner wanting it rechambered or rebarreled to 7MM REM MAG. He said he rebarreled a few M70s, M721s, and FN Mausers but not many. He turned down all other rifles and explained to them that the old rifles wouldnt handle the new cartidge. Most understood and bought new guns.

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.