Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Time can't pass fast enough for the next month!

My wife and I are heading to Buffalo WY for a combo mulie/antelope hunt.

Can anyone give me some basic info on:

1) Weather to expect first week of October? Temp, wind etc.
2) Average Antelope for that area?
3) Average Mulie for that area?

thanks!

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
was in Sheridan,Wy last Oct and it was warm 70 most days
cooler in the morning, not a trohpy area for goats in my
mind, would be happy with a 15 inch buck.have not hunted mulies in that area.
will be near Sheridan at the same time this oct looking for
a nice goat, its a fun hunt as you know!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Average antelope about 14 to 15 inches. Dont know about mulies. We often get some wet weather right about then. Day time temps around 65 or 70, nights below freezing.

Half of the years I've lived in Wyoming, we've had a state wide blizzard on my wife's birthday, Oct 11.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob, I live just over the hill, outside of Worland. Can't give you a lot of info tho.
Weather: Probably hot and dry - But, can go to the opposite. Wouldn't't be too surprised to see lows in the mid 20's with highs in the high 70's.
Antelope: Anywhere in Wyo. you can kill a nice "goat". Private ranches may offer a better chance.
Mule Deer: Numbers are down throughout the west, but good deer are taken every year. Again, a limited(private) access area improves your odds.

If I read your dates correctly,you have very little time to be "picky"! Best of luck to you and your wife,and safe travel! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Farmer's Almanac has been pretty accurate this year. Sunny slightly below average temp early in week, 60's - low 70's, then showers.
Lots of whitetails in the area, usually on private land.
Would think it true for mulies. Hopefully you're prepared to put on your hiking boots, get way into the Nat. Forest above the private land. Beautiful area, but wouldn't be my favorite for deer hunting. Antelope, I see them early in the summer, then not. Private land? I haven't checked exactly what your area boundaries are, but I do remember seeing antelope in the meadows above Buffalo, near where I hunt turkey on public land. Best to have the GPS app or at least a Wyoming atlas, to know where private /public land is. If I was a nonresident hunting there, I'd look into an outfitter.

Last edited by Wyogal; 08/29/16.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Farmer's Almanac has been pretty accurate this year. Sunny slightly below average temp early in week, 60's - low 70's, then showers.
Lots of whitetails in the area, usually on private land.
Would think it true for mulies. Hopefully you're prepared to put on your hiking boots, get way into the Nat. Forest above the private land. Beautiful area, but wouldn't be my favorite for deer hunting. Antelope, I see them early in the summer, then not. Private land? I haven't checked exactly what your area boundaries are, but I do remember seeing antelope in the meadows above Buffalo, near where I hunt turkey on public land. Best to have the GPS app or at least a Wyoming atlas, to know where private /public land is. If I was a nonresident hunting there, I'd look into an outfitter.

If you check Wy Game and fish website, there may be Hunter Management Areas that you can register for, but they may get a bit crowded, and sometimes Game and Fish know landowners who want some depredation. But usually, its for whitetails.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Sorry, should have said, we will be on private land, via an outfitter/guide!

What they've said is focus on Mulie's in the AM/PM primarily in the Bighorns and Antelope midday, down near Buffalo.

Average antelope of 14 inches or so would be great, we won't be picky as we've never gotten either, but want to know what to expect. That matches what the outfitter said to expect, which is good to hear!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Are you hunting with an outfitter? Private or public?

Weather can be about anything. I would expect warm and dry with cool nights.

Montana MOFO
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
The goats are looking good this year. I've seen some nice deer but haven't been out really trying to scout yet.
The weather should be too hot for hunting the first week in Oct, but I've seen it snow 10" on the 1st. Bring coat just in case.
Who you hunting with in Buffalo? If you don't mind.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

South Fork Mountain Outfitters

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Really good folks.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Your about 13 miles up the mountain, bring a jacket. There could be a little frost on the pumpkin in the mornings.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As others have stated, it could be 80 degrees or 10 degrees:

October 1, 2013

[Linked Image]

October 5, 2013

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We'll be in Buffalo for a combo hunt Oct 1 - Oct 5 also. Bear Trak Outfitters. Will be hunting with Wilson or Scrawny, don't know who yet...

Trying to arrange a get together with Sendero Man, wyoming260 and Oregonmuley while we're there. Be nice to finally meet the guys face to face!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Be prepared for any weather...You're gonna love it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Snow packs and/or sneakers. At about 4,600ft, it can do anything any month.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
We'll be in Buffalo for a combo hunt Oct 1 - Oct 5 also. Bear Trak Outfitters. Will be hunting with Wilson or Scrawny, don't know who yet...

Trying to arrange a get together with Sendero Man, wyoming260 and Oregonmuley while we're there. Be nice to finally meet the guys face to face!

Yup, counting the days!! In the 10 years I've been huntin that area, mostly the 1st week of October I've seen it rain buckets, had it blizzard and had it be 80+ degrees so you never know.

Always a great time though!!

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 09/02/16.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I got married at the south fork 6years ago. Wayne and Holly are nice people. His land he owns up in the mtn is pretty nice. I've lope hunted down around Buffalo a few years ago seemed like lots of goats on private!!! You'll have a great time

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

I hunt in Buffalo almost every year. You will be satisfied. Lots of animals in the area.

Eat at Winchester Steakhouse in Buffalo. You can't go wrong.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks for the recommendation for food! We are actually flying into Rapid City SD on 9/30, spending a couple days there, then driving to Buffalo for a couple of days before we head to South Fork to hunt. So we will be in Buffalo for the end of a day, then a full day, then a morning, before we head to the lodge. Staying at the Occidental! Food recommendation will be used, love a good steak!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,551
Posts18,453,584
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.