Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by teal
I would say - most likely a frisco-ish style bike, probably a shovel and a sportster. King/queen seat. Maybe a pan - depending on their financial status.

Lots of Pans till out there then.

You can strap a lot of schittt to a queen seat for x-country scoots.

Most likely they'd have a mexican blanket rolled and strapped to the back or the fork area.

[Linked Image]

Good looking old school pan head chopper but per Shaman's posted requirements I wouldn't think the hard tail frame and thinly padded seat would be the most desireable set-up for comfortable extreme long distance runs. The straight pipes would probably get tiresome listening to after a while too. The small capacity tank would mean the rider would have to stop for gas more frequently.

Originally Posted by shaman
Let's focus on details for a bit. These would be bikes that would be customized for extreme long distance hauls. I just don't know the details. Jim, you mentioned a chopper with ape hangers.

What would y'all think these chicks would have done to their bikes to make them ready for extremely long rides? Also, their profession demands that they be able to take passengers on the back. What sort of seats are we talking?

In 82 - there weren't near as much choice in the matter. He's not specifying how we'd build one today to look like it was then.

IMO - takes place in 82 - if they're bad azz biker babes - they've been riding a while. Not likely new bikes either.

So you're talking a bike that could be a 77 or older most likely. I tend to think they had a budget.

Most likely would have been hard tail - that's what was available the cheapest or as a used scoot.

Simply put - in 82 there wasn't the aftermarket there is today. Straight pipes or factory - that's all. King/Queen seat is VERY comfortable, particularly with forward/frisco style controls. I'll take that king/queen over a modern "badlands" seat I have on my bike right now if it made sense.

At that time - there simply wasn't anything available other than a king/queen or the factory little job which doesn't allow them to strap things on like the KQ does. Or the Buddy seat but not likely.

What we think as modern cruisers simply did not exist then. The FL wasn't what we think of today. I could see them MAYBE riding an older Super Glide - to fit the motif but in my mind - the KQ frisco style would have been it.

Me

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well if they're not lesbians they're not riding Harleys. I worked in motorcycle dealerships during that time period and we serviced bikes for a women's riding group from the Boston area. They called themselves W.O.W. Women on Wheels or Women on Women depending on who you were talking to. I would think that they would be riding 1982 Honda V700 Shadows one black and one maroon. Both with fringie leather look tie on saddlebags, KG luggage rack, plexi universal fit bolt on windshield and leather wrapped clutch and brake levers with the long hanging laces that we used to refer to at the bike shop as Wild Albanian Tassels. I don't know what we had against the Albanians. Actually any mid size Japanese cruiser bike from the eighties would work but I'm sure you get my drift.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jsj127
Originally Posted by whelennut
Originally Posted by KFWA

Care to guess what model and year that is?

Harley Davidson Wide Glide Softtail.

Wide glide and softail are 2 different models. Wide glide is part of the dyna family. It has a rubber mounted motor and the rear shocks are on the outside of the rear wheel. The softail is a hard mount motor with the rear shocks under the frame. The softail is designed to give a rigid frame look but give a softer ride.

You guys are talking about the "newer" bikes......

Back in the time period requested, the FXE Super Glide, FXS Low Rider, and FXWG Wide Glides were all 4 speed, solid mount, shovelheads. No rubber mount 5 speed Dyna anything yet......

I bought a new Low Rider in 1981...I could see a couple hot chicks doing the same....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dikes on Bikes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the 80's the best long range touring bikes were the GL1100 Gold Wings or BMW K100RT or R100RT. The Beemers were available from the factory in white. Have known a couple hot chicks that rode Beemers. My choice would be K100RT.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J7yuM8ZXd1MA8pknnIlQ?p=girl+on+bmw+motorcycle&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&fr2=piv-web&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

http://motoress.com/

IC B2

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have slept on the problem. What seems to be weighing heavily on my mind at the moment is this question:

You're a Marine, doing what Marine does, and you've done a good job of it. However, some fellow that smells heavily of goat has just blown up an IED in your general vicinity. The room goes dark. The sound of your buddies fades. You think that's it.

There is a dull sound in your head. It sounds like it might be the evacuation chopper, but's it's different. You strain to hear. The sound grows until it blots out everything else. It is the sound of 2 motorcycles approaching. At just the moment you expected them to run over you, the engines stop.

You hear 2 women talking. Finally one comes by and you hear a bag unzip, and the two most beautiful women you have ever seen are standing over you in the moonlight. They tell you time is short and ask you to go for a ride with them. It is then you look over to their rides.

What do you see?

My personal feeling, albeit a tad naive, is that no self-respecting Marine is going to want to show up in Valhalla and shake hands with the likes of Lou Diamond, Chesty Puller, and the Honker having just come off the back of a rice burner.

I think we need to restrict ourselves to domestic manufacture. My apologies for not thinking of this earlier.

Unless there is dissent, I say we concentrate on Mister Teal's suggestion, and the example I found yesterday evening. My remaining question is as follows:

Given a 70's build Custom Hardtail 1956 Harley Panhead Chopper as described, what modifications would you make in 1982 to make it an ideal bike for the purpose of retrieving fallen warriors?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have slept on the problem. What seems to be weighing heavily on my mind at the moment is this question:

You're a Marine, doing what Marine does, and you've done a good job of it. However, some fellow that smells heavily of goat has just blown up an IED in your general vicinity. The room goes dark. The sound of your buddies fades. You think that's it.

There is a dull sound in your head. It sounds like it might be the evacuation chopper, but's it's different. You strain to hear. The sound grows until it blots out everything else. It is the sound of 2 motorcycles approaching. At just the moment you expected them to run over you, the engines stop.

You hear 2 women talking. Finally one comes by and you hear a bag unzip, and the two most beautiful women you have ever seen are standing over you in the moonlight. They tell you time is short and ask you to go for a ride with them. It is then you look over to their rides.

What do you see?

My personal feeling, albeit a tad naive, is that no self-respecting Marine is going to want to show up in Valhalla and shake hands with the likes of Lou Diamond, Chesty Puller, and the Honker having just come off the back of a rice burner.

I think we need to restrict ourselves to domestic manufacture. My apologies for not thinking of this earlier.

Unless there is dissent, I say we concentrate on Mister Teal's suggestion, and the example I found yesterday evening. My remaining question is as follows:

Given a 70's build Custom Hardtail 1956 Harley Panhead Chopper as described, what modifications would you make in 1982 to make it an ideal bike for the purpose of retrieving fallen warriors?

So now this has morphed into a military theme, out of body story, but with period correct custom chopper build details?

Ok, but to my reasoning, given Lou "Honker" Diamond's and Chesty Puller's, hard earned, well deserved, reputations as hard-core, old school, warrior patriots, it's my opinion they both would be most impressed by original, totally stock, early vintage Harley or Indian motorcycles.

Lou Diamond died in 1951, long before the custom chopper fad began. He never saw or heard of such a thing but he very well may have ridden some of the old stock originals, though.

Chesty Puller died in 1971 so he was still alive after it began but for just for a couple of years.

My personal belief, were it possible, both men would probably regard custom choppers as symbols of the non-conformist, outlaw, hippie/beat-nick movement of that era.

It's your story though, Shaman,...tell it how ever you choose.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good point. Frankly, I don't know, and I had good friend that was a Marine that died back in 92, and I can't really tell you what he would have said.

He had a BMW motorcycle when he passed. However, knowing Jerry, he probably would have wanted to show up at the gates of Valhalla in his 1955 Greyhound Bus conversion, entertaining the Valkyries in his hot tub.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With the mention of pearly fringe and pearly 'cycles, along with the proclivities of the ladies, I am sure that you will somehow work clams into the tale. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pair of 60's vintage BSA Hornets, ...tricked out as dual purpose "scramblers", 850 big bore kits, high pipes, wide flat bars large aggressive tires,....and cams that see the front tires bouncing off the ground at idle,in synch with an exhaust note that sounds like a well maintained BAR.

1982 upgrades ?,....ventilated discs, 1st gen Kerker "cams" on the high pipes, dual 38MM Delorto carbs, Joe Hunt magnetos.

Thin minimalist seats, and well worn leather bags / luggage.

Lever guns in scabbards, and razor sharp woodsman's axes thwartships.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check out my '76, it was made in 1976 the 200th birthday of our country that is why it is commonly called the Liberty edition. It has the red,white& blue reflector on the pannier bags, I added drag pipes, semi-buckhorn bars and police style windshield and leather tool bag and tank bag plus the high buck ($400.00 in 76) leather king queen seat that was VERY comfortable on LONG rids as well as around town. Although it was an Electra-Glyde I also added a kick stater.

Painted as you describe with Valkyrie instead of Harley Davidson on the tank and Valhalla Special in place of the E-Glyde on the fender would be cool.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 1982 the best motorcycles in the world were made in Japan. If you're doing any serious distance on a motorcycle in 1982, you're definitely not doing it on an AMF Harley, unless you're equal parts motorcycle mechanic/firefighter.

BMW had comfortably fallen behind the Japanese. The K series was an attempt at meeting the Japanese half way, and while it was a good bike, it still fell very short of the Japanese offerings.

The only people who were riding Harley's were the serious American bikers. People buying and riding brand new R series BMW's were the ones looking to ride anywhere in the world (BMW has always had an extensive dealer network).

For serious travel in the America's, most serious riders were riding Japanese bikes, mostly Honda's since they had the second best dealer network in the world.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I call BS on the AMF Harley's, mine went 126,000 miles with one rebuild, it NEVER put me on the side of the road! That included riding to to Sturgis and home 17 times, Daytona 19 times.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 12344mag; 08/31/16.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I put 86000 miles on my super glide with no issues.

There has never been any thing but ugly chicks on the back of a goldwing.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I went all over 6 states on my '73 FLH. But i wasn't as helpless as the dealer serviced, costumed "biker badasses" I so often see now days. Parked it for 15 years while my kids were still home and started riding it again. Remember, the EVO's were being developed during those "terrible" AMF years.

Last edited by ST50; 08/31/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
I call BS on the AMF Harley's, mine went 126,000 miles with one rebuild, it NEVER put me on the side of the road! That included riding to to Sturgis and home 17 times, Daytona 19 times.
You're a lucky man. I lived 200 yards from where the old Sacramento Mile was held. We had Harley's everywhere in that neighborhood, and every 4th Harley guy had an XR750. The AMF's were universally hated, and two guys had vibration so bad they had wires arc a fire. I also remember a Cycle World (IIRC) article around that time where the reviewer had the same issue.

Seems every AMF that I personally saw in the '70's and early '80's all had a rattle...not just vibration, but you could always count on something being loose and rattling.

No one liked the AMF's. I guess you got one that was built right. There wasn't anything wrong with the design of the bike, just the quality control.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Lever guns in scabbards, and razor sharp woodsman's axes thwartships.

GTC

I had not thought of that. Although, I'd think these ladies would not be chopping wood with their axes.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Viking tomahawks?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

What do you see?

Sounds like a Redneck version of Mohammad's 72 virgins.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (41rem, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,511 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.