Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know I'm bound to not be the only one to do this, but since I still hear questions about what height rings fit what scopes on what rifles, I thought it might be worthwhile to illustrate this handy method. I also still run into people who don't necessarily understand the concepts of cheek-weld and non-critical eye relief, they just know that their scope/stock combo doesn't fit their face and eye correctly. For me, I typically like as low a mounting position as possible, depending on the stock choice.

Since many manufacturers list ring heights online these days, a person can easily find out what best fits them with nothing more than their rifle, their chosen scope, a set of calipers, and a handful of pocket change. If using a weaver, piccatiny, or dual dovetail base, it is best to go ahead and get the base mounted on the rifle. Put the rifle in your vice and start stacking quarters where the rings are going to sit. Gently place your scope atop the coin stacks and see if the bell clears the barrel and your bolt handle clears the occular. If need be, a strip of scotch tape across each coin stack will help keep it from toppling. Fine tuning for height can be done with thinner coins or combinations of multiple coin types. Pay attention to eye relief length to make sure the test positioning isn't way off from front to back, as a rearward position may often have increased likelihood of the objective bell making contact with a tapering barrel shank.

[Linked Image]

This stack of coins measures roughly .250" with my calipers and when situated atop the Burris bases, provides just enough clearance to allow the 4-16x50 Viper PST. Looking around at rings in the desired price range, SWFA 30mm lows are .250" in height. Who'd think that low rings on relatively slim base would clear that scope? Not me, but the coin measurement proved it. It works. I can fit a couple of business cards under the front of the scope, but that's about it.

[Linked Image]

On the flipside, a person can also look at available listed ring heights for the rings they want to use and do mock-ups before ordering. Mixing and matching coin combos can get very close to nearly any available ring height. If a one-piece unit is desired, such as the Talley Alloy, the coin stacks are simply placed atop the naked front and rear action bridges. Scotch tape does come in handy when working with round top actions and it bears remembering that front and rear heights are different on many actions. A few long strips of masking tape across the scope and down onto the stock can allow you to shoulder the rifle to check eye-relief. I did this one just last week and found that Talley 30mm Extra Lows should work on my 223AI #4 contour M700 with my 2.5-10x42mm Nikon Monarch X. That's what I ordered and cheek-weld is great.

[Linked Image]

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here are a couple more that don't allow much daylight between the glass and the barrel. They fit my face well.

Leupold VX-R 4-12x50 on Sendero contour M700. (Measurements showed the .250" SWFA rings would be a touch too short, and it turned out to be true. Those are Weavers that are a touch higher.)
[Linked Image]

Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on a factory sporter M700 with Talley Extra-Lows.

[Linked Image]

Leupold 3.5-10x40 in lowest possible Ruger rings with Lilja #3 contour on a M77.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Now somebody is going to make packs of varying width shims for just this purpose.

grin

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good tip by the way.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You might very well be right, and shims may already be out there just for this purpose. But coins are dang easy and who doesn't have a bucket of change lying around? wink

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gage blocks....Jo-blocks

But they cost more than a handful of change

This is a nice tip. Thanks for sharing

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cool idea. Thanks for sharing

I've found people usually think they need higher rings than they really do - especially on short action rifles and with 30mm tubes

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great tip. I use gauge blocks or pins, because they're in the drawer. This is the best use of pocket change I've seen in a while.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for sharing.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
D
DRD Offline
D
Spent an hour trying different Warne rings last night (and they are a pain to take on and off) to get the right height. Great tip and thanks for sharing!!!!.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some times you learn good stuff here... thanks

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good tip, don't forget the Butler Creek cover if you use one.

Be Safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good tip. Never tried this but it makes sense. I used a taper gauge for a long time. Loaned the set out and have not got a new pair since.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great tip. I just recently used this method for for ring choice on a new rifle and it saved me the hassle of returning medium height rings when the lows were sufficient.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stacked pieces of strips cut from index cards or other, (file folder), do well also and offer plenty of accuracy.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good tip! Thanks for posting.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like it. Thanks!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by twofish
Stacked pieces of strips cut from index cards or other, (file folder), do well also and offer plenty of accuracy.

twofish

[Linked Image]

twofish.

*Master of random precision*
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I really want a scope to sit low, I take the barreled action and clamp it to the Bridgeport mill table sideways and feed it into a 1" or so end mill. I can drop it an 1/8" easy without compromising any strength. Got this tip from David Miller in Tucson.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice tip. Followed this one all the way through. I keep screenshots of this kin of helpful kind of stuff - does a pretty good of a backup for the old memory.

Thanks Jpro.

Last edited by Akbob5; 12/21/16.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.