Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
How about a DIY custom?

Shilen DGR action. Made by Stiller for Shilen. Has a 700 footprint and uses any trigger that will work on a 700. Will work in any stock inletted for a 700. Has a floating bolt head like a savage ensuring full lug contact. Has small firing pin and ejector plunger holes so handles pressures well. Comes with a double pinned PT&G recoil lug and can be had with a matching 20 MOA pinned rail. Uses a barrel nut like a Savage so you can easily install and headspace your barrel (or barrels) yourself.

One of several pre chambered and threaded barrels in the cartridge of your choice. Criterion and Shilen are the most readily available but if those don't flip your switch, there are plenty of others. I have a Criterion in 6.5x47 Lapua on mine and it put six shots with two different charges in about 2" at five hundred yards during load development.

Any stock of your choice inletted for a 700. In keeping with the DIY concept, I would consider a Manners with the DBM mini chassis or one of the many other chassis. I picked up a used HS Precision that had been inletted for PT&G DBM bottom metal as an interm until I get something a little nicer for it. It works well as is though.

Beauty of this route is that in an hour in your garage you can put together a custom rifle with a precision custom action and other components of your choice that will shoot with most custom rifles out there for hundreds of $ less than a full custom and you will have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. When you get the itch for another clambering, simply order another pre chambered and threaded barrel for $300, install it yourself and start sending rounds down range.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
If I were in the market you are I'd probably start with New Ultra Light Arms.

This. Seriously.

Chris
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Sako76
Guys--I've accumulated a whole bunch of nice rifles and I have a bunch that I never use, some are still NIB. I was thinking of selling them and buying one nice rifle and putting some Alpha glass on it and calling it good. This rifle would be used for hunting elk and mule deer out west with the max shot at 600 yards with the average about 250-300 yards. I've looked at Nosler, Cooper and Best of the West. I can't find any McWhorter, MOA Evolution, Gunwerks or LAW rifles to look at around here. Any suggestions and why? Thanks.

Buds SS SA 308 bolt face, ~$400 delivered, Rick's Edges $569, barrel of your choice $350, Diablo's action true, barrel install, ~$350. Rock on in 6.5, 7mm, 308, 338........or there are several sako actions for sale in the classified.

Or

Tikka SS lite Wittakers or euro.....~$550 delivered 6.5-55 or 708 or? And , Rick's Edge special......

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by pointer
If I were in the market you are I'd probably start with New Ultra Light Arms.

This. Seriously.

Quoting myself...this.

Chris
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by powdr
If I were in your shoes I would be talking to the little man named Echols or Mr.Kenny Jarrett. The guys here don't like Jarrett and think his rifles are too high but I challenge you to find a used one for sale. powdr

Agree on Jarrett rifles. I have 4 of them.

300 Jarrett
300 Winchester
280AI
264 Winchester

They are boring rifles as all of the ones I have shoot bug holes all day long. True there are other smiths that will give you the same performance for more or less money but this is the choice of the buyer and should not driven by the opinions of others who may have not shot a Jarrett.

I have custom rifles from most of the other well know custom builders also. McWorther, Gradous, Kampfeld, Surgeon Hill Country, Penrod, Borden, Banser, Kelby, KIDD etc.. They are all great builders and their rifles are lasers.

When and if you get ready to buy a custom talk or ask questions to the ones that have shot the ones that you are questioning about.

Good luck and drop me a message if there are any questions I can help you with. I may be able to help you along with saving you some money from the lesson I have learned from buying so many custom rifles over the last 20 years.

Last edited by andrews1958; 08/27/16.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hill Country Rifles.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Another vote for NULA. You get to choose caliber, etc. so it is right for you. My third NULA is on order, each of them significantly different from the others. If you have to have pretty wood in a heavy, shiny rifle, you will have to choose another builder.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would figure out what you are looking for in terms of action features, chambering, stock design and material. What LOP do you want? what kind of weight? barrel length, balance etc.

Once you know those things you can see if one of the off the shelf rifles fits your desires, if not you will have the specs thought out for a custom builder.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is Dakota off the table? I don't see them mentioned much, if ever. Any reasons?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Is Dakota off the table? I don't see them mentioned much, if ever. Any reasons?

I have a Dakota 76 African in .416 Rigby. It came with a Douglas SS barrel and consistently shoots under an inch with factory ammo. XXX Englsh walnut, Swaro scope, Recknagel QD scope mounts, all metal surfaces coated in Roguard with bolt and internals done in NP3. It has taken dozens and dozens of African game animals, including cape buff and lion. If I could only keep one of my rifles, this would be it.

That said, I have friends who have bought Dakotas and complain about the lack of accuracy. My local Dakota dealer discontinued carrying them because of too many complaints about inaccuracy from customers. This is contrary to my personal experience, however. Just saying....

BTW, I have never owned an HS Precision rifle, but have several friends who do and enjoy them a great deal. HS guarantees .5" 3 shot groups. They are push feed and have detachable magazines, two features I could never abide with on a DG rifle, but am considering one in 7-08.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This may sound a bit out of left field but, why not get a BRAND NEW double square bridge Mauser from SARCO for $349?

Dumoulin Mauser Action

Sunny Hill makes high quality scope rings for it(only domestic source that I am aware of)

Send it out to the smith or barrel maker of your choice and get it done right with a premium barrel.

Then off to McMillan or maybe Macon Gunstocks, either one will put on a nice stock for under $700.

That's what I would do anyway.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Guys, thanks for all the advice, keep it coming.

I tried this same thing 2 years ago. Sold 12 custom rifles and decided on a semi custom 270 for shooting and hunting the lower 48. Now two years later I have 17 rifles in the safe and can't break the addiction. My advice? Keep your current favorite. One the the most satisfying experiences for me was having a pre 64 300 h&h refinished by a well known Seattle gunsmith. The bore was excellent, got a new crown machined, tuned the trigger, glass bedded the stock, new matte bluing, oil finished stock, and recut the factory checkering. Loved that gun, gave it to my son

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Guys, thanks for all the advice, keep it coming.

I tried this same thing 2 years ago. Sold 12 custom rifles and decided on a semi custom 270 for shooting and hunting the lower 48. Now two years later I have 17 rifles in the safe and can't break the addiction. My advice? Keep your current favorite. One the the most satisfying experiences for me was having a pre 64 300 h&h refinished by a well known Seattle gunsmith. The bore was excellent, got a new crown machined, tuned the trigger, glass bedded the stock, new matte bluing, oil finished stock, and recut the factory checkering. Loved that gun, gave it to my son

With a rifle like that 300 H&H, you wouldn't really need anything else.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use the rifles you have now. More than one rifle is a back up for the current favorite.

The 'special' best rifle may never come!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kinda depends on what you want, Lightweight, vs pretty wood, vs heavy semi-target rifle etc etc etc.

I would say that IMHO the best current action available is the Mausingfield. It combines the best features of other actions and is very precisely made. It fits in 700 pattern stocks so you could have a wood stock made for it or use a McMillan or other Rem pattern stock. With a reasonable barrel contour you could probably make a 8.5lb or so rifle but not an ultralight. Still the feeding, ejection, strength etc are worth it. :-)

If I had to pick one current factory rifle it would be one of the Sako 85 Carbonlites..............dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’m pretty impressed with a newly acquired Christensen Arms Ridgeline. Showing promise within its first 40 rounds. Might be worth a looksie.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
NULAS are no where at all visually appealing to me which is part of what you are paying for with a custom rifle. If not go buy a Tikka. I would rather have my McWhorter or my MG Arms ultrallight which take a fraction of the time to build than a NULA.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Who said there is no resurrection!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This custom 30-06 with an octagon barrel came by chance. The shop was about to put it in the rack and I said "Let me see that rifle."

It's a fabulous custom that we only hope we will ever get by 'ordering' it!

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington 700 KS Custom shop rifles are outstanding in ergo's, quality & accuracy, especially the ones made from about 1985 to about 2010.

MM

270 Win
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.