Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I am looking at the Gold Ring 12-40X60 spotting scope. Is the HD model worth the extra coin? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I couldn't say as I don't own the HD nor have I compared the two side by side.

I do however have the non HD 12-40x60 and really like it.

It is compact and has very generous eye relief.

Mine is several years old but it has never left me wanting more as of yet.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the HD 60mm and I really like it for the shooting range. Pretty good glass, and I am a snob. I really like the codora cover and compact size.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had both and for me it was very hard to tell any difference between the two side by side. I kept the non-hd and have been very happy with it. These are easy to pack and use-I think if you can pick up a lightly used non HD for between $500 and $600 it's one of the best deals out there.

I also have a 20-60x65 Swarovski HD that I use side by side with the Leupold and with the same amount of magnification the Leupold is not far behind for a lot less coin.

Golden............
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the input. Anybody else?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have an HD. Like it quite a bit. Great eye relief.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I need to find one of those $500 used ones....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I need to find one of those $500 used ones....

They show up, I've bought 2 for $500 and the last one as new here from EHG for $550. Even at $600 they are a good buy.

Golden............
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 12-40x60 GR are a great little spotting scope, I say little because its dimensions made it fit perfect in my side pocket of my pack and it had great eye relief to boot.

I traded it and ended up with a Swarovski 20-60x65mm that is a better scope but for the money that GR was sweet.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to get rid of one of those davidlea?

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
You need to get rid of one of those davidlea?

Thanks for asking, I sold the first non HD to a friend and bought a HD kit that I later sold to joelbiltz here on the fire then bought another non HD from elkhunting guide to have as a back up/loaner. I think there was one that stayed for sale here from tikntak (?) for a while-it may have not sold. If I was looking to buy now is the time. If you can find what you're looking for prices are good (unless of course it's something I want-then the prices stay near the top grin )

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by davidlea
I think there was one that stayed for sale here from tikntak (?) for a while-it may have not sold.

tkinak ended up moving it to eBay. The link to the auction shows it sold.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only own (1),which is the MK4 67180 Gen2 FFP version and it's guts just fhuqking fell out,on the last pass. Bought it NIB and babied the bitch.

Thanks A LOT Reupold

[Linked Image]

It did fine out the front door.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kept it in a Custom Case too.

[Linked Image]

Will quit being nice to it now and flog on it right proper,to see how it literally weathers after being fixed. Should beat me home.

The fhuqking things NEED a sunshade and it'd be a great benefit if focus,didn't shift the ocular's position.

PVC'd the schit outta the objective,for flare management and a rain gutter.

[Linked Image]

My Zeiss never bobbled or missed a fhuqking lick and had been to hell and back countless times,wearing like protection.

[Linked Image]

Will R&D the 67180 against the newest Bushie FFP mildot spotter,once I get home,to see exactly WTF. From the cuff,the Bushie reticle is superior,as it's more finite. That as per early comparison offa the front porch,though I cain't get out much past the 2000yd line there. Be curious to see which pukes first.

Film at 11:00...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
DRD Offline
D
I have looked thru both and own the HD. It is better but not by a wide margin to my eyes. Wonder if it is just marketing sometimes. Sight picture and contrast are both very good. Haven't used it a couple years (draw point line keeps moving up for Mule Deer) and in excellent shape if you want to look at it. Could buy this used (from me) for about the same price as newer non HD. If interested lmk and I'll send you some pics. Either way if you like Leupold glass I think you'll like this spotter and probably won't notice much of a difference in HD and non HD.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have carried the same non-HD scope every years since they were first introduced and most of my guides use them as well. My son had his stolen and found a deal on the HD version. Maybe if you were using them as a camera lens you could tell a difference and to my eyes you will need a good imagination to actually see any significant difference. I have allegedly even been told that same thing by some un-named higher-ups at Leupold.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.