Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
humdinger-

Give the Remington AccuTip a whirl.

When it comes to vetting slugs, unless you get lucky, there is simply going to be a reasonable investment.
And worrying about the cost per boom isn't going to aid in your sanity. grin We purchase multiple powders and various bullets for rifle reloading and don't think much of it.
Buy a bunch of them, shoot them, find one that works and be done.

Once you find something that perks, buy an ample supply before they come out with a "new and improved" version.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SKane
humdinger-

When it comes to vetting slugs, unless you get lucky, there is simply going to be a reasonable investment.
And worrying about the cost per boom isn't going to aid in your sanity. grin We purchase multiple powders and various bullets for rifle reloading and don't think much of it.

Once you find something that perks, buy an ample supply before they come out with a "new and improved" version.

+1

I'm buying 2 varieties at a time and that gives me an excuse to go to the range. Its an interesting experiment so far.

And limiting it to 2 also keeps me from jack hammering the shoulder too much.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tested a slew of them a number of years ago. IIRC the most violent of them all (by far) was the 3" Winchester Partition Gold. 385grs and 2000fps.

From an 11/87 it still felt like a 3.5 turkey load from a pump. shocked shocked

Stay away from that one. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Should also point out: once you have found a slug that gives acceptable performance - QUIT! You can dislodge your retinas and go deeply into debt searching for something that is marginally "better".

This.

My 12 gauge kicks like a mule with slugs.

My Savage 220f is a pleasure to shoot with Remington AccuTips in comparison.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP again...

I'm starting to feel the light on the 20 gauge slug thing!

I see several of those savage 212 and 220's on the range each fall and they really dial in nice. The funniest thing of the cheap scopes they put on and the poorly assembles scope mounts rattling apart.

This cantilever barrel fell into my lap @ $50, otherwise I would look at a savage bolt.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
You wouldn't be sorry with the 220f. They are very accurate.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My group of 5 guys all shoot rifled barrels. 4 of the 5 are mounted on Beretta's. 4 of the 5 have Hastings Barrels. One guy uses a Beretta barrel with a slower twist. Accuracy runs about 2" at 100 yards for all of them. Take note of the twist in your barrel. Faster spin means faster slugs fare better. We shoot Federal Barnes Expanders at 1900 fps (out of production now, but Federal Trophy Copper are very close to the same). The Beretta barrel is a slower twist thus that guys shoots the 1500 fps version.

And to the guys who are afraid of the recoil? My now 12 year old daughter has shot 2 deer with them without complaint the last 2 years. So if a 10 year old can shoot them, they arent just too bad.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been shooting these for years. They're designed to run through a rifled barrel only.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never liked the recoil of a 12 with slugs so when I ran a slug gun for a bit I bought a 20 gauge barrel for the Encore.

5-6" groups with Hornady SST and 2" groups w copper solid Remingtons.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Remington copper sabot 2.75" 1 oz

This!

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
humdinger-

Once you find something that perks, buy an ample supply before they come out with a "new and improved" versi

Sorry, but $5.00 a shot is just too much for this ol' boy.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to run a slug from an outfit called DanArms that had the wad attached to the slug. In the smoothbore barrels it was very accurate, but man, the recoil was painful.

My heart doctor told me to be careful about recoil since I had the defibrillator/pacemaker installed, so my little 20 gauge Mossberg with the ported barrel works well for me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used to start with federal true balls to sight in then dialed in with light fields

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I sold my 870 slug gun when Winchester dropped the Hi Impact Supremes (BRI style). They really shot well and hammered the deer. My brother in law shot regular Winchester BRI and they left a weak BT, deer ran a ways.

His solution was to keep shooting the cheaper version, but let them get to 50 yards or closer and shoot them in the head. He ran a M500 Trophy Slugster and did not buy his ammo from one lot #.

Worked OK for him though.

Actually, I had two 870's drilled and tapped, running rifled bbls. The first one my cuz still has.

He missed a deer with it (I never did) so sometimes bring that up on the drive to our hunting spot smile

Last edited by hookeye; 09/06/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington copper solids

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington 3" 385 Grain AccuTip Bonded is what my 11-87 likes...went through quite a few others before settling on the AccuTip. That was a long day at the range and the one one only time I've ever visibly bruised my shoulder. I second SKane's opinion on the 3" Partition Gold. Inaccurate and punishing in my shotgun.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My 1187 Hastings bbl likes Rem Copper Solid 3" and Win PG 2-3/4in. My 870 with Rem CL bbl likes Rem ATs.

Accutips are not bad online. Try Ammoseek.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington Copper Solids out of an Ithaca fully rifled barrel slug gun.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I get 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 with Remington Copper Solid slugs out of my Mossberg 500.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're looking to start on the low end price wise, I was just in Fleet Farm this weekend and saw some blue box Federal saboted slugs for $7.99 per box. I don't think they had these when I started working on my slug gun, or I'd have tried them. The least expensive option I found at that time was the Hornandy SST load and they were $11.99 per box. I got lucky, in that they shoot about an inch and a half group off the bench at 100 yards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.