Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HogWild Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking to replace my old Chronograph. What should I get?

HogWild
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

The Oehler 35P is simply excellent. GREAT chronograph with decades of chronograph-making experience.

Dr. Ken Howell is one of us and, at least as far as I'm concerned, he makes the finest chronograph available.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have no complaints and love the ease of use with my Magnetospeed. Super simple to set up and no need for ideal weather conditions. Only issue I know of is it affects point of impact.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have been in love with my Labradar. No POI shift and it tracks your velocities out to 100 yards or so. I save ammo and shots on my barrels having switched from the magneto speed...no POI shift means I don't need to obtain velocity data separate from my normal shooting.

HogWild Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't want one that affects POI. I like to measure velocity while testing loads for accuracy.

HogWild
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The Oehler 35P is simply excellent. GREAT chronograph with decades of chronograph-making experience.

Dr. Ken Howell is one of us and, at least as far as I'm concerned, he makes the finest chronograph available.

God Bless,

Steve

This ^^^. Wish I'd followed this advise years go while wasting time with the others.

LabRadar piqued my interest when it first came out, but since then I understand that there have been some issues with small calibers. I'll stick with the Oehler 35P - it's like a Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Have yet to have a round not register a reading.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I love my Oehler 35P.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I voted for Labradar with my money...

[Linked Image]

HogWild Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is that the doppler radar model? How does it perform? Price range?

HogWild
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HogWild
Is that the doppler radar model? How does it perform? Price range?

It is. I've shot 223-300 WSM with no problems. Depending on the caliber, it will read velocity out to 100 yards or so at whatever intervals you set up.

You can get them here.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking to replace my old Chronograph. What should I get?

I've used a Prochrono since around 1990... can't find any reason to change.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my Prochrono also. It's not very tempermental.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've owned a number of different chronographs, and the ProChrono Pal is definitely the best bargain I've found in an "affordable" model.

If willing to spend more money the Oehler 35P is still the gold standard. The Labradar may end up competing but right now apparently a little limited as far as smaller-diameter bullets and really fast velocities. I haven't encountered either problem with the ProChrono or Oehler.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
J
actually I'm trying to sell a mountain lion pelt. It is very well kept authentic in mint condition I was wondering if you guys might be interested in purchasing it or maybe you can give me some leads on how or where I can put it up for sale?

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeDaSnake
actually I'm trying to sell a mountain lion pelt. It is very well kept authentic in mint condition I was wondering if you guys might be interested in purchasing it or maybe you can give me some leads on how or where I can put it up for sale?

Try the closest pawn shop......

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeDaSnake

And what does that have to do with this discussion in this sub forum?

I have the Prochrono and have been happy with it. I'll spend the savings on bullets and powder.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't want one that affects POI. I like to measure velocity while testing loads for accuracy.

You seriously can't spare a few rounds? I have a magnetospeed and it is the bees knees. It doesn't bother me that I might have to shoot a few rounds to find out how fast my best loads are going. It works in all weather too.....

To each their own I guess

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have the Lab radar, ohler 35P, two different Chrony's.

You will be hard pressed to beat an Ohler 35P. I shoot several barrel tuners, and if you attach anything to your barrel, it will change the harmonics. Very, very small changes in the tuner will change a load. So, I am very skeptical of a Magnetospeed, but my fears may be unfounded.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dogzapper

God Bless,

Steve

Ken Howell is no longer "one of us". He passed away a while back.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think Steve meant to say Ken Oehler.....

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
396 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.