T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dow was doing fine, until it became Parks and Wildlife.
I knew from day one that Wildlife would generate income and Parks would get the funds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"They're hoping to solve the problem by doubling the cost of in-state hunting and fishing licenses. Those fees haven't increased since 2005."

That's crazy talk! Only non-resident licenses should be increased.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tracks
Dow was doing fine, until it became Parks and Wildlife.
I knew from day one that Wildlife would generate income and Parks would get the funds.

Tracks, I think you are probably right. As an example, the Lake Pueblo State Park has been busy this summer pouring brand new concrete bike and hiking paths, re-paving roads, replacing foot bridges, etc.- none of this benefits wildlife, and comes at a cost, for sure.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have separate budgets, funds are not mixed. I can see an increase in some licenses. IMO a $45 elk tag is pretty cheap, $90 seems OK. I think that they should have a tiered price tag----cow vs bull/either sex. Doubling the cost of deer tags---that's a little bit different. I will probably give that up and just hunt elk.

There is the law of diminishing returns. No way is a doubling of a small game license worth it. I buy one now just to carry a gun looking for a grouse, when I'm actually scouting for elk. Instead I will just hike & enjoy the changing of the aspens. No way is a spring gobbler worth going from $20 to $40. No way is a fishing license worth going to $50.

But doubling the cost of bighorn sheep. mtn goat & moose will make them money. I'll pay $500 for those tags.

The DOW is in a bad spot. Raising the cost to get more money may end up costing them money. The cost of Colorado's wildlife needs to be born by every citizen of Colorado. We sportsmen have carried the total cost long enough--there is no free lunch.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If the CPW got all the money back that was put into the general fund or wherever it goes,you would not see a problem.The CPW requests a budget with so much money and the legislature gives back what they want to give.

Then you have the CPW Wildlife doing dam and maintenance work in state parks like Pueblo in the name of doing wildlife habitat. Just how in the heck do bike paths benefit wildlife. CPW should not be in the business of property maintenance, building shooting ranges, and a host of other expenditures that private entities should be doing.

If someone thinks $90 is OK for an elk tag, go talk to families that are trying to fund 3-4 kids on an elk hunt, even if the tag fee is reduced for youth. Maybe if a person is on good payroll but many hunters, like myself,being retired are on fixed income and although I support n maybe 10 or 15% increase in fees,I sure as heck don't support doubling them. Charging $500 for a sheep,goat or moose tag is only going to make 50% at least stop applying and then you get into the situation that all hunting is a rich man's sport. Of course those who can afford it have no qualms about it

If everyone on this forum would go to the link provided in the initial thread post and from there go to the survey page ,fill it out,then you might see some response from CPW. As it is now, those statewide meetings are attended by maybe a 100 people at each meeting.So input is limited. Of course,CPW is going to do what ever they want.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try being from out of state. My Bull license is $600 and cow another $4XX something. We are also forced to purchase fishing licenses as well. Many of us are also retired, so any additional increase in out of state licenses will really hurt. When you factor in hotels, food, gas and licenses it costs me over $2,000 a year to come up there for one week a year. When I started coming up there in the 80's it costs us around $700. But, I do not pay state income taxes, property taxes, fuel or sales tax all year long. Since residents do, I believe for CPW to double your fee's seem unreasonable. Even though the cost of your Elk license is less than the cost of my instate deer license of $78. Unless I want to hunt with a muzzle loader, that is another $34 and archery is yet another $34. That is until we turn 65. At that time we can get a lifetime combined license good for most hunts for $50. Maybe Colorado should consider something like that. Let those who are still working and under 65 pay more and then reduce the costs to those of us over that age.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Start taxing the kayakers, bikers, hikers, 14'er climbers, etc. I'm tired of having to foot the bill for every outdoor enthusiast out here.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 30338
Start taxing the kayakers, bikers, hikers, 14'er climbers, etc. I'm tired of having to foot the bill for every outdoor enthusiast out here.

I've said this for a long time. Usually met with "well then they will have a seat at the table and a say in how wildlife is managed".

Well guess what, they already have a say, a big one. Might as well pay for the privilege like hunters do.

BTW, anyone know who got the 55 4th season re-issue this morning? I think that system is rigged.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every state should adopt a version of Missouri's "Design for Conservation." Years ago, Missouri voters passed a initiative that created a constitutional amendment that directs 1/8th of one percent of the money gleaned from the state sales tax to wildlife and conservation. As a result, Missouri's game and fish department is the best-funded such organization in the country. The cost is borne by all of the citizens of Missouri, not just hunters and anglers.

It generated so much money that the state legislature passed legislation allowing it to divert some of the funds to other needs, but the Missouri Supreme Court ruled that the funds could only be used for the conservation purposes included in the constitutional amendment. It has been imitated in several other states, as well. It effectively removes the entire burden of supporting wildlife, fisheries and parks from the backs of hunters and anglers and spreads it lightly (one penny out of every 8 dollars collected) to the entire population.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree completely with you Saddlesore. It's getting to be ridiculous and the hunters foot the bill for everyone. Doubling the price of a fishing license won't amount to much, but doing it with all hunting licenses and they'll see plenty. I sure don't see my access to hunting property increasing, or my seasons getting any longer, and my odds of drawing a hunting license in the first place has been greatly reduced, so just what am I getting in return for this increase? I guess it is simply that I get to "buy" the privilege to hunt. Every time I think about the "Parks and Wildlife" I want to puke. I realize there are some good folks that work there, but the management/bureaucracy keeps making it worse and worse and anyone that thought merging with the Parks Dept. would help the hunters was smoking something.

I do disagree that filling out the survey will make any difference. The fix is in and I know there will be no turning back.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try buying a non-resident bull elk and Mule Deer buck tag if you really want to complain!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just applying for Colorado tags almost kills me and my wife

Elk x2
Deer x2
Pronghorn x2

Add in the habitat stamps and a small game license

Over 3K just for Colorado

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by 30338

I've said this for a long time. Usually met with "well then they will have a seat at the table and a say in how wildlife is managed".

Well guess what, they already have a say, a big one. Might as well pay for the privilege like hunters do.

Yep.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess they will raise the park passes also? For all the revenue from the marijuana industry, you would think they could get their hands on that.

But in reality it doesn't matter, the more they get the more they want and what do they have to show for it?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
True but with what they charge NR's, to tell the truth I'm embarrassed to pay as little as I do for resident tags. In that respect, I don't mind paying more.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tag price increases! They are already too high. With all the revenue from the pot boom they want more money? Vote the jackasses out and protest physically.It is time for hunters and fisherman to stand up to what is tyranny. Happy with your "blue" state?

Last edited by Palidun; 08/31/16.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I generally like Texans but I'd be happier if you stayed in Texas. And minded your own business.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Compare the cost of hunting a and fishing licenses in CO, both resident and nonresident, to the cost of lift tickets for a week of skiing for your family in, say, Vail.

It's all a matter of priorities.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.