-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've dealt with chronic pain issues for decades. I thank God that I'm one of those people who really don't like the effects of opiates. There are times I'll dip into the pain meds, when I just need a break. But I know that A - I won't get "high" or any euphoric feeling. B - I'll get stomach cramps, C - Constipation, D - Irritability, E - Insomnia...and the list goes on.

I tried MJ as an alternative to opiates once...OMG that sucked!!! People find that pleasurable? I thought I was having a freaking heart attack.

I've found the best medicine is no medicine. 99% of the time, it's just not worth it.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I lost my Nephew a little over a year ago to drug addiction. OD'd on a cocktail of multiple drugs including heroin. I wish I could have a hunting license...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
It's tragic that people are dying from taking this drug, but after all they ARE knowingly taking illegal opioids.

That's the kicker, they take this schit voluntarily, there is no one to blame but themselves and that takes the blame off of the medical industry as well.

When I had my back fusion done they had me on hydrocodone, I don't think I could have made it through the first two weeks without it. Two weeks was plenty and I put up with the pain after that.

I choose to quit and move on, how anyone could think this schit was a good idea is beyond me.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
It's tragic that people are dying from taking this drug, but after all they ARE knowingly taking illegal opioids.

That's the kicker, they take this schit voluntarily, there is no one to blame but themselves and that takes the blame off of the medical industry as well.

When I had my back fusion done they had me on hydrocodone, I don't think I could have made it through the first two weeks without it. Two weeks was plenty and I put up with the pain after that.

I choose to quit and move on, how anyone could think this schit was a good idea is beyond me.

The sad part is, it's often someone rather young, who gets convince by their druggie friends that it's safe...you know, because they do it and they're still alive.

With street drugs you just don't know what you're getting. If you push 8-10mg of Heroin that's 60% pure, and then the next time you get lucky and get some 90% pure, you're in a lot of trouble.

This is exactly WHY we have an FDA.

But the econo-anarchists would say, "Hey, just don't buy from that guy anymore"...when you're dead, that's guaranteed.

Last edited by GunGeek; 08/26/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on-the-right
Another tip is too never treat to the point there is no pain, once you reach the feeling good/euphoria level it's over. They are to make pain bearable not turn you into a slobbering idiot.

Mike

Well, that's the hard part, isn't it? Since pain is subjective, the prescribing physician has nothing to measure the effectiveness or suitability of the treatment except the patient's report of pain and pain relief.

Prescription drug addicts always complain of terrible pain. Differentiating between real pain, psychological disturbance, and addictive behaviors is a nightmare.

Doc I probably should have used a different word than treat, I was talking about the patient who needs meds and doesn't want to risk addiction.

I took Percocet for 1 month prior to an epidural in my back, wrote it down every time it was taken, even though it quit working in 3 hours always waited the full 4 hours to take and never took more than prescribed daily amount.

The day of my 1st epidural about an hour prior I took the last one and 5-6 hours later broke out in shakes and sweats and completely soaked my clothes in sweat, felt like the flu for 2-3 days and then for a full week when walking the dog and tweaking my back a little I would get a nauseous feeling in my stomach as my body craved the meds and I was only on a 7.5mg dose I think.

Haven't taken one since and hope I don't ever need to, but that's how quick your body starts to develop an addiction whether your mind does or not.

Gunner

I went from gut wrenching pain that was quickly becoming unbearable, to gut wrenching pain that was basically bearable as long as I did nothing but sit still.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I broke my femur, the thigh bone, right in the knee in a logging accident. Came close to getting the leg amputated.
Doc put the femur back together with 4 screws. I was on crutches for 11 weeks.
But the surgery failed and I had to get total knee replacement.

Well, I have been injured plenty, had lots of stitches, broken ankle, broken wrist etc etc.
But the pain from these knee surgeries was through the roof.
They gave me a scrip for 10 mg Vicodin. I wanted Oxycontin, I figured, good enough for Rush, good enough for me.
But I got Vicodin. A big bottle and I could get refills.

After about 4 weeks on the Vicodin, I noticed it didn't do much for pain relief any more. Also I noticed I felt like hell all the time. Only, if I took a Vicodin I felt OK for about an hour.
Then I realized I was hooked on this stuff.
I said to hell with this stuff.
I mixed up a double gin and tonic. I popped a Vicodin and chased it with the gin and tonic.* Then I flushed the rest of the Vicodin down the toilet. I stayed away from the Vicodin after that, and made do with Tylenol and Motrin.
I must say, the Vicodin and gin is a very nice buzz and makes the pain go away.

*Do not try this at home. Can cause liver damage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by ready_on-the-right
Another tip is too never treat to the point there is no pain, once you reach the feeling good/euphoria level it's over. They are to make pain bearable not turn you into a slobbering idiot.

Mike

Well, that's the hard part, isn't it? Since pain is subjective, the prescribing physician has nothing to measure the effectiveness or suitability of the treatment except the patient's report of pain and pain relief.

Prescription drug addicts always complain of terrible pain. Differentiating between real pain, psychological disturbance, and addictive behaviors is a nightmare.

Doc I probably should have used a different word than treat, I was talking about the patient who needs meds and doesn't want to risk addiction.

I took Percocet for 1 month prior to an epidural in my back, wrote it down every time it was taken, even though it quit working in 3 hours always waited the full 4 hours to take and never took more than prescribed daily amount.

The day of my 1st epidural about an hour prior I took the last one and 5-6 hours later broke out in shakes and sweats and completely soaked my clothes in sweat, felt like the flu for 2-3 days and then for a full week when walking the dog and tweaking my back a little I would get a nauseous feeling in my stomach as my body craved the meds and I was only on a 7.5mg dose I think.

Haven't taken one since and hope I don't ever need to, but that's how quick your body starts to develop an addiction whether your mind does or not.

Gunner

I went from gut wrenching pain that was quickly becoming unbearable, to gut wrenching pain that was basically bearable as long as I did nothing but sit still.

Mike

You were taking an opiate every 4 hours for a whole month. That is a schist ton of drugs sustained over a long period of time.

Folks think something is safe just because a doc gives it to them.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it was every 6 hrs I don't remember it's on the bottle either way was too much for me and I hope to never need them again.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The doctor who gave that prescription should hang up his license. He was blatantly and purposefully trying to get you hooked on drugs.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My sister who is 55 years old and suffering significantly from RA is now raising a step-great grandchild who is 3 or 4 years old.

Step-granddaughter caught into drugs, ultimatley heroin. Many opportunities to straighten up. Caught and arrested many times. My sister's husband paid over $10k for a rehab a year plus ago. She relapsed. Lost the kid and my sister and BIL are now attempting to raise a toddler. It is slowly killing both of them.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 12344mag

The sad part is, it's often someone rather young, who gets convince by their druggie friends that it's safe...you know, because they do it and they're still alive.

Yup. These kids grew up getting codeine cough syrup every time they got a runny nose and a family full of goof balls that think keeping pain meds laying around is okay. Taking the stuff that Dad says makes his back feel better is just not scary. Hell, half the addicts out there have no idea that they are, and as long as they can pay the bills, nobody is gonna try to convince them otherwise. Then one day, after they lose it all, they'll be worthless scumbags.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tarkio
My sister who is 55 years old and suffering significantly from RA is now raising a step-great grandchild who is 3 or 4 years old.

Step-granddaughter caught into drugs, ultimatley heroin. Many opportunities to straighten up. Caught and arrested many times. My sister's husband paid over $10k for a rehab a year plus ago. She relapsed. Lost the kid and my sister and BIL are now attempting to raise a toddler. It is slowly killing both of them.

It is tough for a grandparent to find himself/herself in the position of surrogate parent when they are on the high side of 50, but the child is very lucky to have family members who care enough to step up and sacrifice themselves for the good of the child.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.