Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good Morning, gunner,

At one time the Partition was the gold standard of elk bullets. As me & I'd go with its never losing that status. From my experience with Partitions (mule deer & elk), I'd doubt that one would fail to work as advertised within their intended velocities.

BTW, do you have a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads?

One more BTW, I think that you're gonna find that your '06 will kill just as dead as any .300 magnum w/o punishing recoil.

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Mother B. never raised such a foolish child... whistle

TAKER!

laugh laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SakoAV
Good Morning, gunner,

At one time the Partition was the gold standard of elk bullets. As me & I'd go with its never losing that status. From my experience with Partitions (mule deer & elk), I'd doubt that one would fail to work as advertised within their intended velocities.

BTW, do you have a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads?

One more BTW, I think that you're gonna find that your '06 will kill just as dead as any .300 magnum w/o punishing recoil.

I'm gonna give her a definite go of it Sako, I've had some really nice kills with the '06 and partitons, but, using the 200 gr version.

Never had any doubt about that combo, it's the 150's that give me pause, sounds like they will be fine on the lighter big game they will encounter this fall by me.

I do not have a copy of Mr. Waters book.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Actually it almost did. I popped him right where you are supposed to and off he went, for half a mile. But the .300 left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow..( indeed we followed it from the High Rack)

Heres another from the archives with the 150NPT...first zebra.

[Linked Image]

Damn! I was a handsome Devil!

What no scope on a 300 Win Mag?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope! Back when my eyes were good I preferred Irons, mainly because I couldn't afford a scope I trusted on the .300 and its counter-intuitive but a nice flat shooting rifle is the way to go with irons. I put a bead on the front that covered 8moa....sighted it spot on at 200 yards, only a touch high at 100.
At 200 yards the bead covered 16 inches, so it could act as a crude rangefinder, if you will.

Bottom line on most critters, if it blotted the vital area out completely, they were too far to shoot at, if not, hold dead on.

Came in handy. My PH spotted a big springbok ( a little critter) at what we later learned was 175 yards. " Can you hit him from here?" I put the bead on him and it didn't cover him up soooo, " Yep!" He went nuts when it actually worked!

Got the Gemsbok above at 250 yards and an elk once at 350, steep downhill
shot.

Another kill with the .300 and 150 NPTs..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 09/04/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, nice Gemsbok, I remember when I had red/brown hair and whiskers too. cry

What Happened? laugh

I earned my grey/white hair. Besides, the chicks think it makes you look "distinguished"...at least until you're 45...then they just say it makes you look old.

I've been "salt and pepper" for a good while, and the salt percentage has been on the rise. College age chicks have called me sir for years now. When I shop at the grocery store I keep my eye out for the young forty somethings. grin

Have heard it said, a good surgeon needs graying temples and hemorrhoids; graying temples to give him a look of wisdom, hemorrhoids to give him that concerned look.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Palidun,

A few years ago my wife was hunting in South Texas and killed the biggest feral sow I've ever seen with one 150-grain Partition from her .308 through the shoulders--which exited. (On the same hunt she killed a very nice 6x6 whitetail buck with the same load, which of course also exited, since the buck probably weighed less than half as much as the pig. It also dropped the buck right there.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I am quickly being pulled in the direction of this "niche" bullet! I ordered 600 of them a week ago from Shooters Pro Shop and wish deer season would hurry up and open! I could get some hog hunting in soon though when I go out to the lease for the pre season chores.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Palidun,

A few years ago my wife was hunting in South Texas and killed the biggest feral sow I've ever seen with one 150-grain Partition from her .308 through the shoulders--which exited. (On the same hunt she killed a very nice 6x6 whitetail buck with the same load, which of course also exited, since the buck probably less than half as much as the pig. It also dropped the buck right there.)

Great info JB, thanks, after Ingwe's photos and story and this from you about your Wifes hunts with this bullet, I'll have the confidence needed to send a bullet quartering into a bucks last rib should the situation arise.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Palidun
Well I am quickly being pulled in the direction of this "niche" bullet! I ordered 600 of them a week ago from Shooters Pro Shop and wish deer season would hurry up and open! I could get some hog hunting in soon though when I go out to the lease for the pre season chores.

I fired a couple chrono loads earlier Palidun.

59 grs H-4350......3020 fps
60 grs H-4350......3086 fps

I loaded three each at 59, 59.5 and 60 grs, set c.o.l.'s at 3.300"

Can't wait to see how it groups when I get my stock back and a scope bought and mounted.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gunner Ive had that bullet at the .300 velocities still exit elk,and some African Elk sized critters. At '06 velocities I wouldn't hesitate on a quartering shot...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Poobs, load will probably settle in about 3050 fps, +3" at 100 should zero bout 260 [will confirm], center chest hold to 300 will be gold for this old '06. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys keep giving ingwe cap about his age but yall need to keep in mind. ...

Ain't none of you ever shared a campfire with John quincy adams

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Ain't none of you ever shared a campfire with Fred Flintstone.
Fixed.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

You guys keep giving me cap about my age and I'll just keep giving you crap about your spelling and grammar....

Its just so easy....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You guys keep giving me cap about my age and I'll just keep giving you crap about your spelling and grammar....

Its just so easy....

Well, none of us have had the years of practice in spelling that you have...

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Its just so easy....

Well, none of us have had the years of practice in spelling that you have...

You'd be picky about spelling and grammar if you were in on the invention of a language....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAHAHAHA, goodun G. laugh

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 3,378 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.