Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good evening Men,

I have a new rifle I'm going to build a load for using the 150 gr partition bullet, H-4350 powder and look for a velocity at or near 3000 fps.

It's a pre 64 standard rifle in with a 24" barrel, I have only shot game with 200 and 220 gr partitions in the old '06 and have been thoroughly impressed.

This rifle will be mainly for deer, pigs, or maybe a black bear, max range that I can imagine will be 300 yards where I'll carry this rifle.

For those that have used the light 30 cal partition, what did you shoot with it, ranges used, how do you like it, did you get adequate penetration?

I've had 150+ of these old bullets for 20+ years and need to shoot them up on game, Thanks for the help on this light bullet trial.

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I used it in a .300 Win Mag...smoking right along. Killed deer, elk, gemsbok, springbok, kudu,zebra, and eland with it.

It worked good! grin

This is what I looked like when I was young and studly! laugh

[Linked Image]

Should work even better at .30-06 velocities.

Last edited by ingwe; 09/02/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple guys in camp use To shoot 06 with 165 partitions pushing 3000fps.
It was a compressed load.
I don't remember what powder they were using.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Appreciate that Ingwe, and yes, it should hold up a bit better in the '06, I haven't been able to find any info on the '06 and 150 partition, had to wonder why.

Is that really you with that Eland or Tom Selleck? grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Dre, gonna go for 3K with the 150, should zero near 260 yards with a 3" high at 100 yards bullet impact at 550' ASL.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I used it in a .300 Win Mag...smoking right along. Killed deer, elk, gemsbok, springbok, kudu,zebra, and eland with it.

It worked good! grin

[Linked Image]

Geez ingwe, I didn't know you were a colored guy.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunner500
Appreciate that Ingwe, and yes, it should hold up a bit better in the '06, I haven't been able to find any info on the '06 and 150 partition, had to wonder why.

Is that really you with that Eland or Tom Selleck? grin

Thats me AND Tom Selleck ( hes in 'black face') grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Ive been 'touched by the tar brush...' grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
For your intended use, they'll work fine. I've killed a bunch of deer and elk with 180s at 2875 fps and was always impressed. If elk and bigger game weren't on the list, I think I'd go with 165g interlocks--don't need the premium bullets for deer/hogs and 99% of the black bears you're ever likely to come across IMO.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks elkaddict, these bullets have been on my shelf for more than 20 years, my new '06 is the smallest 30 cal rifle I have, they're gone.

With so many rifles, I tend to load the heaviest for caliber bullets, one load for one rifle that works fine on all game hunted in a particular rifles use zone.

This rifle will be loaded with 200 gr partitions once these 150's have been used at the bench and on game.

After seeing Ingwe's photos of heavier African game, the 150's should serve well.

Where I'll hunt this rifle, my shots have previously been about 70% going away rib shots up into the vitals, I'll need all the penetration I can get from them.

Plus, I saw a black rogue of a Russian boar at least 300 lbs in weight this spring, need to be able to put that bastard down hard too, especially on a ground encounter.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner, try them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The 150gr. partition is a tough little pill... Good medicine for any big boar you run across...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Ive been 'touched by the tar brush...' grin
Your "touched" alright. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Bsa, I hope I can get a nice accurate load built, I had a spare set of steel Talley R&B's for the rifle, now to decide on a scope.

The only spare scopes I have left are a gloss 1.5-5 and a matte 6.5-20. lol

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez Gunner. Every red blooded American needs to have a few 3-9x40's laying around... laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I do, cept they're standing up, MOUNTED to rifles. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good evening Men,

I have a new rifle I'm going to build a load for using the 150 gr partition bullet, H-4350 powder and look for a velocity at or near 3000 fps.

It's a pre 64 standard rifle in with a 24" barrel, I have only shot game with 200 and 220 gr partitions in the old '06 and have been thoroughly impressed.

This rifle will be mainly for deer, pigs, or maybe a black bear, max range that I can imagine will be 300 yards where I'll carry this rifle.

For those that have used the light 30 cal partition, what did you shoot with it, ranges used, how do you like it, did you get adequate penetration?

I've had 150+ of these old bullets for 20+ years and need to shoot them up on game, Thanks for the help on this light bullet trial.

Gunner

That ought to work.

Another load that is an old school goody, though for a bit less velocity, is 52 grains of IMR4064.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We'll find out this Novemberwink, I have heard of the old standby 52 gr 4064 in the '06 with 150's, iirc vels around 2870 fps.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gunner, try them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The 150gr. partition is a tough little pill... Good medicine for any big boar you run across...

Without a doubt. With the few I've shot into jugs and seen a few deer hammered with them I'd really not have any problems running them against larger animals as well. Right now it's the bullet I use in my Granddads 300 Savage.

Looking forward to seeing how you make out. I'd think a 150 Partition or Accubond would be right in the perfect wheelhouse for deer hunting.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thirty+ years ago I used to make a bunch of that 4064 load for my father. He was getting a lot of deer camp invites in a number of states when he was in charge of selecting and buying different kinds of expensive parts and equipment for his company. Strange how that happens. grin

Anyway, it was fun for this kid to be trusted enough to load ammo for "serious" work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It worked good! grin

[Linked Image]

Which one was you?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Info on rifle please,Ingwe.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 09/02/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Without a doubt. With the few I've shot into jugs and seen a few deer hammered with them I'd really not have any problems running them against larger animals as well. Right now it's the bullet I use in my Granddads 300 Savage.

Looking forward to seeing how you make out. I'd think a 150 Partition or Accubond would be right in the perfect wheelhouse for deer hunting.

Good info, Thanks beretz, if I can bust a quartering away buck in the ribs and get up into, or through the shoulder, I'll be gold, and he'll be golden, brown that is. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mathman
Thirty+ years ago I used to make a bunch of that 4064 load for my father. He was getting a lot of deer camp invites in a number of states when he was in charge of selecting and buying different kinds of expensive parts and equipment for his company. Strange how that happens. grin

Anyway, it was fun for this kid to be trusted enough to load ammo for "serious" work.

10-roger on the 'buyer perks' lol, must have made you feel really good, especially when someone took an animal with one of your hand loaded cartridges.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That was definitely part of it. We found out 150 grain Sierra, Speer, Hornady and even early, soft Ballistic Tips were all deer getters, no problems.

The old man could shoot too. He was an NRA small bore guy and did pretty well back in the day. After a few deer trips the regulars that traveled with him asked him why he brought more than one cartridge. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cool story all around MM, it is sad that Men like your Pop, and his shooting skill, and probably the Man he was/is, are largely a dying breed.

Also strange I'd have to ask about the effectiveness of a premium bullet for deer, I wouldn't have too if it weren't 90% thicket shooting.

A clean rib or broadside shoulder shot is rare there.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can't imagine the Partition not getting the job done.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I shoot with an old gunnery "sarge" from Quantico that always says "52 grains of 4064 and a good 150 grain bullet is all you need in a 30-06". While I have my doubts, I don't argue with him. laugh.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I can't imagine the Partition not getting the job done.

I'm gonna give em a fair shake and put em where they belong Mathman, we shall see. cool

I'm ready to get started, just came down off the mountain, the deer have licked the mineral rocks smooth this summer, a black bear tore my trail cam off the tree. mad

I'm gonna punch that bastid with my bow if he shows Oct 1st!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I wouldn't give him much chit either BSA. lol

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am going to put the 150 grain Partition to work this year on feral hogs myself, not at 3000 fps but more like a bit over 2800 fps from my 308. I have zero doubt the bullet will play it's part perfectly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

It worked good! grin

[Linked Image]

You had a hell of a tan in those days, Poobs.

Oh, you are on the RIGHT in that photo..... That makes more sense.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL. Funny stuff, Ingwe. Nice pic of you and your twin brother. whistle

Nothing much an 06 and a 150 partition won't do.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
150g partition
59-60g H4350
Win primer

play with seating depth from touching the lands to .060 off

you will hit a home run

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

It worked good! grin

[Linked Image]

It's amazing how computer programs can colorize photos from back in the black and white film days.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Palidun
I am going to put the 150 grain Partition to work this year on feral hogs myself, not at 3000 fps but more like a bit over 2800 fps from my 308. I have zero doubt the bullet will play it's part perfectly.

Thanks for another vote of confidence Palidun, maybe we can compare notes in another thread at seasons conclusion ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 1Nut
LOL. Funny stuff, Ingwe. Nice pic of you and your twin brother. whistle

Nothing much an 06 and a 150 partition won't do.

Good to hear 1Nut, Thanks!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by keith
150g partition
59-60g H4350
Win primer

play with seating depth from touching the lands to .060 off

you will hit a home run

There it is Keith, I jammed a test load in with moderately heavy bolt close, extracted dummy round measured 3.320" on the money, will start chrono loads at 3.310" and 59 grs H-4350.

I'm waiting on my stock, it's off getting the checkering re-cut, haven't decided on a scope yet, but leaning hard towards a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

It worked good! grin

[Linked Image]

You had a hell of a tan in those days, Poobs.

Oh, you are on the RIGHT in that photo..... That makes more sense.

Poobs hunts such dangerous game, his tracker gets a gun too CT, see that extra rifle at 3 o'clock? laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Geez...post one old pic....trying to help...and see what you get.

Well heres another one for your enjoyment, the .300 Win and a 150 gr. NPT...from back in the day...

[Linked Image]

Out there getting it done with an open sighted rifle and a full head of hair. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh, for a PSA, I couldn't log on yesterday afternoon because I couldn't see.

Went back up the mountain early afternoon to clear shooting lanes, was hot and humid and didn't take my safety glasses, bout midway through and big chunk of wood flew up from an ax strike.

Got my head turned and lid closed in time to no avail, it poked me right in the eyelid/eyeball then slapped my cheekbone. grin

Watery eyes, stuffed up sinuses, and spitting a lot, Wifey doctored me up good last night, much better today, just a 1/2" cut on my eyelid and bloodshot eyeball.grin

Be careful out there Men!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, nice Gemsbok, I remember when I had red/brown hair and whiskers too. cry

What Happened? laugh

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interesting....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, for a PSA, I couldn't log on yesterday afternoon because I couldn't see.

Went back up the mountain early afternoon to clear shooting lanes, was hot and humid and didn't take my safety glasses, bout midway through and big chunk of wood flew up from an ax strike.

Got my head turned and lid closed in time to no avail, it poked me right in the eyelid/eyeball then slapped my cheekbone. grin

Watery eyes, stuffed up sinuses, and spitting a lot, Wifey doctored me up good last night, much better today, just a 1/2" cut on my eyelid and bloodshot eyeball.grin

Be careful out there Men!

That was just Karma for being mean to me on the Innaweb. laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

What Happened? laugh

I earned my grey/white hair. Besides, the chicks think it makes you look "distinguished"...at least until you're 45...then they just say it makes you look old.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Info on the .300 Win Mag,Ingwe.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, did that little 150 NPT make it to the hide on the far side of that Gemsbok?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

What Happened? laugh

I earned my grey/white hair. Besides, the chicks think it makes you look "distinguished"...at least until you're 45...then they just say it makes you look old.

Ya, if you're single, if not, we have to keep out traps closed and keep moving. grin

I could be VEERRRY expensive to stop! laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Interesting....

laugh

How bout You CT, would you take an '06 with a little 150 partition after a BIG hog or a last rib quartering away shot on a 200 lb WT buck?

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Actually it almost did. I popped him right where you are supposed to and off he went, for half a mile. But the .300 left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow..( indeed we followed it from the High Rack)

Heres another from the archives with the 150NPT...first zebra.

[Linked Image]

Damn! I was a handsome Devil!

Last edited by ingwe; 09/03/16. Reason: to add Damn I was a handsome Devil!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

What Happened? laugh

I've been "salt and pepper" for a good while, and the salt percentage has been on the rise. College age chicks have called me sir for years now. When I shop at the grocery store I keep my eye out for the young forty somethings. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, half mile, tough bastids, how far did the Zebra go?

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
About 50 yards...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

What Happened? laugh

I've been "salt and pepper" for a good while, and the salt percentage has been on the rise. College age chicks have called me sir for years now. When I shop at the grocery store I keep my eye out for the young forty somethings. grin

I turned down a very attractive forty something in my late teens MM, I now know what a clustered up mistake that was. cry

I could have learned a lifetime that evening. lol

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
About 50 yards...

Perfect!

Trump Won!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When I was young, green, and clueless I missed what was in retrospect a pass made by a very good looking divorcee of about forty, and if I'd have understood the situation I'd have never turned her down. Man was I dumb. crazy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
When I was young, green, and clueless I missed what was in retrospect a pass made by a very good looking divorcee of about forty, and if I'd have understood the situation I'd have never turned her down. Man was I dumb. crazy

You were not alone in that misguided frustration my friend! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mother B. never raised such a foolish child... whistle

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good Morning, gunner,

At one time the Partition was the gold standard of elk bullets. As me & I'd go with its never losing that status. From my experience with Partitions (mule deer & elk), I'd doubt that one would fail to work as advertised within their intended velocities.

BTW, do you have a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads?

One more BTW, I think that you're gonna find that your '06 will kill just as dead as any .300 magnum w/o punishing recoil.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Mother B. never raised such a foolish child... whistle

TAKER!

laugh laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SakoAV
Good Morning, gunner,

At one time the Partition was the gold standard of elk bullets. As me & I'd go with its never losing that status. From my experience with Partitions (mule deer & elk), I'd doubt that one would fail to work as advertised within their intended velocities.

BTW, do you have a copy of Ken Waters' Pet Loads?

One more BTW, I think that you're gonna find that your '06 will kill just as dead as any .300 magnum w/o punishing recoil.

I'm gonna give her a definite go of it Sako, I've had some really nice kills with the '06 and partitons, but, using the 200 gr version.

Never had any doubt about that combo, it's the 150's that give me pause, sounds like they will be fine on the lighter big game they will encounter this fall by me.

I do not have a copy of Mr. Waters book.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Actually it almost did. I popped him right where you are supposed to and off he went, for half a mile. But the .300 left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow..( indeed we followed it from the High Rack)

Heres another from the archives with the 150NPT...first zebra.

[Linked Image]

Damn! I was a handsome Devil!

What no scope on a 300 Win Mag?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope! Back when my eyes were good I preferred Irons, mainly because I couldn't afford a scope I trusted on the .300 and its counter-intuitive but a nice flat shooting rifle is the way to go with irons. I put a bead on the front that covered 8moa....sighted it spot on at 200 yards, only a touch high at 100.
At 200 yards the bead covered 16 inches, so it could act as a crude rangefinder, if you will.

Bottom line on most critters, if it blotted the vital area out completely, they were too far to shoot at, if not, hold dead on.

Came in handy. My PH spotted a big springbok ( a little critter) at what we later learned was 175 yards. " Can you hit him from here?" I put the bead on him and it didn't cover him up soooo, " Yep!" He went nuts when it actually worked!

Got the Gemsbok above at 250 yards and an elk once at 350, steep downhill
shot.

Another kill with the .300 and 150 NPTs..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 09/04/16.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

What Happened? laugh

Have heard it said, a good surgeon needs graying temples and hemorrhoids; graying temples to give him a look of wisdom, hemorrhoids to give him that concerned look.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Palidun,

A few years ago my wife was hunting in South Texas and killed the biggest feral sow I've ever seen with one 150-grain Partition from her .308 through the shoulders--which exited. (On the same hunt she killed a very nice 6x6 whitetail buck with the same load, which of course also exited, since the buck probably weighed less than half as much as the pig. It also dropped the buck right there.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I am quickly being pulled in the direction of this "niche" bullet! I ordered 600 of them a week ago from Shooters Pro Shop and wish deer season would hurry up and open! I could get some hog hunting in soon though when I go out to the lease for the pre season chores.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Palidun,

A few years ago my wife was hunting in South Texas and killed the biggest feral sow I've ever seen with one 150-grain Partition from her .308 through the shoulders--which exited. (On the same hunt she killed a very nice 6x6 whitetail buck with the same load, which of course also exited, since the buck probably less than half as much as the pig. It also dropped the buck right there.)

Great info JB, thanks, after Ingwe's photos and story and this from you about your Wifes hunts with this bullet, I'll have the confidence needed to send a bullet quartering into a bucks last rib should the situation arise.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Palidun
Well I am quickly being pulled in the direction of this "niche" bullet! I ordered 600 of them a week ago from Shooters Pro Shop and wish deer season would hurry up and open! I could get some hog hunting in soon though when I go out to the lease for the pre season chores.

I fired a couple chrono loads earlier Palidun.

59 grs H-4350......3020 fps
60 grs H-4350......3086 fps

I loaded three each at 59, 59.5 and 60 grs, set c.o.l.'s at 3.300"

Can't wait to see how it groups when I get my stock back and a scope bought and mounted.

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gunner Ive had that bullet at the .300 velocities still exit elk,and some African Elk sized critters. At '06 velocities I wouldn't hesitate on a quartering shot...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Poobs, load will probably settle in about 3050 fps, +3" at 100 should zero bout 260 [will confirm], center chest hold to 300 will be gold for this old '06. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys keep giving ingwe cap about his age but yall need to keep in mind. ...

Ain't none of you ever shared a campfire with John quincy adams

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Ain't none of you ever shared a campfire with Fred Flintstone.
Fixed.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

You guys keep giving me cap about my age and I'll just keep giving you crap about your spelling and grammar....

Its just so easy....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You guys keep giving me cap about my age and I'll just keep giving you crap about your spelling and grammar....

Its just so easy....

Well, none of us have had the years of practice in spelling that you have...

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Its just so easy....

Well, none of us have had the years of practice in spelling that you have...

You'd be picky about spelling and grammar if you were in on the invention of a language....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAHAHAHA, goodun G. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Thanks for the H loads hit Dan, I spect at 3.300" I'm about .005" off the lands, may be the reason my load went 3086 at only 60 grs, also had me thinking there's plenty of throat left. wink

3000/3050 will be plenty for me with this little 150 partition, now, when they're shot up, I'll be leaning on the old rifle a bit to see if it likes my old standby load using the 200 gr partitions at 2715 fps, that load is a hell-bender in the old '06.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Its just so easy....

They always give us cap, we have no hair left. whistle

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gunner,

The buck Eileen shot was angling almost directly away, yet the bullet still exited. Of course, it was a South Texas buck, maybe the size of an average Montana doe....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll take that JB, that's building confidence for sure, hunting those dang creek bottom thickets and brushey hillsides almost always has me shooting fleeting, or at the very least deer moving cautiously away.

Then you may step out on a gas line right of way/fire break to see a buck 300 yards out, gotta be ready for that too. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Its just so easy....

That's gold Jerry, gold.......

Gerry.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

You'd be picky about spelling and grammar if you were in on the invention of a language....

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Since H4350 is not available, IIRC muledeer says I4451 works just as wel........correct?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I got friends in low places JG, mucho H-4350 right up the road. grin

Don't know about I4451.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

What Happened? laugh

I turned down a very attractive forty something in my late teens MM, I now know what a clustered up mistake that was. cry

I could have learned a lifetime that evening. lol

Sounds like a damn Garth Brooks song to me... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ain't none of you ever shared a sleeping bag with John Quincy Adams... whistle
Fixed.

Damn, that's a low blow. But probably the inspiration to the movie Broke back mountain... whistle

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hey Gunner...With said Rifle n that 150NPT,all you hafta doo iz put da boolit on the spot where ya point,she will doo da rest...ScottyO.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Fixed.

Damn, that's a low blow. But probably the inspiration to the movie Broke back mountain... whistle

You people will all smoke a turd in hell for that....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LMAO BSA, coulda been a top 10er. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ScottyO
Hey Gunner...With said Rifle n that 150NPT,all you hafta doo iz put da boolit on the spot where ya point,she will doo da rest...ScottyO.

Thanks Scotty, hope you may have punched some big N.W. mule deer or maybe even elk with that combo.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Fixed.

You people will all smoke a turd in hell for that....
Yeah,so what. grin Probably some great whisky to sip too in Hell (without ice,of course.) smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Gunner,

Forget all this bullet crap. It don't mean nuthing. You just need to remember to mount two scopes on your rifle. Apparently, this is the new up and coming thing!!!

Sincerely,

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gunner, I killed 25 Michigan Bucks with the 150 PT and IMR 4350 @ 2900 or a little less...Ranges from 175 on in and never caught one regardless of the angle. I always thought the 150 PT was perfect for deer. Used it on a couple of Black Bear too with the same result. You are good to go....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL KW, I'll get a tinny rail cant mount and put a fast fire on it for shooting if I get a crick in my neck ;]

Many Thanks SSB, that's the kind of info I like to hear, sounds like the little bullet is tougher than I thought.

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use 150 partitions with 59 grains IMR 4350. Kills cshit out of deer and pigs.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Perfect, I'm ready to get started Hanco ;]

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I picked up a pound of Superperformance to load under these bullets in my 30-06 but the load data doesn't actually show any real advantage to using 5-6 more grains of powder to get less than 50 fps more than I can get with one of the 4350 variants. Does seem to give the 180's a bit more steam though.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Palidun, I'd stick to the 4350's, all bets are off when I get these 150's shot up, RL-22 under a 200 gr Partition for 2700 fps is where I'll eventually be headed, then I won't have to start a thread like this one ;]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
10-4 Palidun, I'd stick to the 4350's, all bets are off when I get these 150's shot up, RL-22 under a 200 gr Partition for 2700 fps is where I'll eventually be headed, then I won't have to start a thread like this one ;]

Gunner, if you have any 4064 laying around, it might be worth giving it a try with those 150's...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've heard of the accuracy of the 4064 with 150's in the '06, had a couple cans around here forever, but gave it to a neighbor that, IIRC was working up loads for a 243 Winchester.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That 60 gr charge of H-4350 is a clean burning sob, 3080 fps don't hurt either ;]

Trump Won!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Great info JB, thanks, after Ingwe's photos and story and this from you about your Wifes hunts with this bullet, I'll have the confidence needed to send a bullet quartering into a bucks last rib should the situation arise.

You shouldn't have any problem with it bud. I used 150gr and then 165gr Core Lokts for many years until I used Federal Fusion. I've shot them from every angle and only had two that didn't exit.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I appreciate that Tzone, now if the 'smith would hurry up with the checkering re-cut.

I installed the Talley rings to give me something to look through while chronoing, don't think I can shoot very good groups that way though. shocked lol

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.