Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Read the hunt agreement over with cynical eye. Auction hunts are rather famous for careful wording, that sort of exclude much of what you thought you were getting. A free hunt can quickly add up to a boat load of money. So much so that many hunts are never taken. An example would be SCI pressuring exhibitors to donate hunts, and the operator working it so he either turns a profit on the hunt he gave away or the buyer coming to his senses and not going at all. Somewhat better is when the hunter chooses to take some extra animals and he makes it back that way. Better, but expect a little pressure to do so. Alcohol can place a part in the bidding process.

They are not all like that, but bear in mind that the best auction hunts that well and truly include everything usually go for close to fair market value.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TALK TO THE OUTFITTER AS MUCH BEFORE HAND AS YOU CAN. Get their price list and build a wishlist on what you can afford. Also figure out what are good animals for the region you will be hunting. Keep in mind that just like whitetail deer in the States, the species of animal vary their by region based and not all species are necessarily native to that area. That makes a difference to many folks.

Talk to your taxidermist now and figure out what their charges are/could be and keep that in mind.

When I went, I rented a rifle there and it worked great for me. I would recommend that as well. I knew what they would offer me and I shot the same set-up here before going.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good advice from everyone so far.....the only things I would like to add are:

1.) if you're not in shape, do your best to get in shape prior to going. Talk to your physician about a weight loss program (if necessary), start walking, etc. You really don't want to loose out on a good trophy because it walked over a hill and you just didn't have the physical ability to go after it. I lost 25lbs prior to going, and it made all the difference in the world when we were climbing hills and my PH spotted that kudu on a distant hillside!

2.) taxidermy: I have my own personal feelings on this, but all I will say (or suggest) is that the cost of taxidermy can get WAY out of hand rather quickly....not only with mounts, but dip/pack, govt. paperwork, shipping, etc. I decided that I would have 2 shoulder mounts (the species I most wanted to take) and the rest would be skull mounts. One of the other fellows I hunted with had all shoulder mounts done, and the cost of the taxidermy quickly surpassed what he paid for his safari!!!

3.) Tips: While tipping is a personal matter, it is generally regarded that is should be done if you had a good time....and everyone gets a tip: the maids, the cooks, the trackers, the PH. etc. There are guidelines elsewhere for this, so I won't go into it in detail (consider it your "home work":)), but it's also nice to take some items to leave: Lifesaver candies, hard candies (South Africans all seem to have a big sweet tooth), tick repellant, first aid supplies, etc. I left my binocular straps for one of the assistant PHs because his was falling apart; and he greatly appreciated it. We take for granted all the access we have to gear and such, but they don't have the stores, Cabelas, etc. that we have here in the States that they do in S.A. HOWEVER!!!!! please note that leaving items behind is not the same as leaving a tip!!!
I've heard people say "Well, I left my shooting sticks behind...that was his tip"......to me, what that says is "I'm a cheap-ass SOB"......but that's just my opinion.
Congrats on your upcoming trip..........I'm jealous!

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Who are you going to be hunting with?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take no more than one large bag with wheels and a back pack type carry on. In the carry on have all the essentials you'll need to the point you could do without the main bag if you had too.

If you bring a rifle a good option is to use a take down case that fits in the duffle bag. You will be doing site in any way so doesn't matter if it holds zero when taken down.

Take extra time off if you can to check out the parks and other sights. Don't go crazy buying new gear but if you do get a better camera. Better to have multiple cameras than multiple guns. Bring a point & shoot camera and let the staff take photos with it.

Agree on the taxidermy advice costs add up fast and by the time you have it all shipped there may not even be a good spot for it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not done it but a buddy has. It's taking him years to complete the taxidermy stuff (treatments, shipping and mounting). Far exceeds the safari. Primary reason I've not gone.

1Minute
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Pack a pair of hunting clothes in your carry-on plus your binos and camera. Wear your hunting boots on the plane and pack a spare pair in your checked luggage. If the airlines looses your baggage you will still have the gear to hunt. Ask me how I know..... : > ) Have fun!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Not done it but a buddy has. It's taking him years to complete the taxidermy stuff (treatments, shipping and mounting). Far exceeds the safari. Primary reason I've not gone.

Why not hunt and just take photos of your quarry?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's entirely practical, but is a mental hurdle to overcome. There are lots of downsides to trophies. They take up a lot of space, there's shipping, permits, brokering, running out of space, and the feeling that everyone in the whole process from beginning to end thinks they have you over a barrel. After all, they have your trophies and if they want to see them again, send money. Its sort of like a hostage negotiation. smile

I started out taking trophies home like just about everyone else; have have mostly transitioned to leaving stuff behind.The first ones are the hardest. After you start having to give them away or never even unpacking some it gets easier. Trophy care can easily cost as much as the hunting trip did, and another trip might be worth more to you. Besides, most trophies will end up in a land fill eventually, nobody wants them when you're gone.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,175 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.