Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by RickyD
I use a cheap plastic level I keep in my cleaning/tool box to level the chrono. Works fine.

I throw the rifle up on my shoulder, aim at nothing, turn the scope until it looks right and call it done. Never an issue afield.

At shorter ranges, this can work (for some), but I have seen some pretty badly aligned scope by guys not using a device..

Longer range shooting (in my observation/opinion) really pretty much requires a guy to try to mechanically align his crosshairs versus winging it.

Obviously cant error increases with distance, being exponential.

According to Bryan Litz, a 1 degree cant will produce 5 inches of lateral error at 1000 yards.

So doing the math, an 6 degree cant would equal 30"s of error.

Even if you are off just 3 degrees, that would be 15"s.

That is excluding all other factors that cause horizontal dispersion at extended ranges.

While we are talking a 1,000 yards here, take a 3 degree error at 500 yards and that equals 7.5"s of error.

That is huge in my book, and certainly could be the difference on an animal between a clean kill zone shot, or a badly wounded, suffering animal.

I like the alignment device myself, as it if quick and ingeniously simple, not to mention obviously well made.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I must be doing something seriously wrong. I have a Reticle-tru...tried it a number of times and came away unimpressed...it didn't do any better for me than eyeballing.

Flame on! eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by RickyD
I use a cheap plastic level I keep in my cleaning/tool box to level the chrono. Works fine.

I throw the rifle up on my shoulder, aim at nothing, turn the scope until it looks right and call it done. Never an issue afield.

At shorter ranges, this can work (for some), but I have seen some pretty badly aligned scope by guys not using a device..

Longer range shooting (in my observation/opinion) really pretty much requires a guy to try to mechanically align his crosshairs versus winging it.

Obviously cant error increases with distance, being exponential.

According to Bryan Litz, a 1 degree cant will produce 5 inches of lateral error at 1000 yards.

So doing the math, an 6 degree cant would equal 30"s of error.

Even if you are off just 3 degrees, that would be 15"s.

That is excluding all other factors that cause horizontal dispersion at extended ranges.

While we are talking a 1,000 yards here, take a 3 degree error at 500 yards and that equals 7.5"s of error.

That is huge in my book, and certainly could be the difference on an animal between a clean kill zone shot, or a badly wounded, suffering animal.

I like the alignment device myself, as it if quick and ingeniously simple, not to mention obviously well made.

That's assuming the reticle is held canted and the rifle is held perfectly straight. Hold a reticle canted in relation to the bore perfectly level and the error is inconsequential. A lot of guys have a natural hold that lines the reticle up canted to the bore. Just because you look through the scope and the crosshairs are canted doesn't mean the crosshairs are canted when they are holding the rifle.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
I must be doing something seriously wrong. I have a Reticle-tru...tried it a number of times and came away unimpressed...it didn't do any better for me than eyeballing.

Flame on! eek

I'll join you in the barbecue pit. A lot of folks don't understand cant (including a VERY large number that should know better). A worthless device that imparts the warm and fuzzies.

David

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Flame on! eek

Sheesh.. crazy

You have to TAKE THE SCOPE CAPS OFF THE SCOPE FIRST! laugh

Maybe we can get the manufacturer to make them up in a special leopard print edition!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mackay, while you're helping him, please also advise him that once the caps are off, the scope must be on a rifle.....

The Leopard print edition....I'd buy one to align scopes on my dink-shooters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Flame on! eek

I'll join you in the barbecue pit. A lot of folks don't understand cant (including a VERY large number that should know better). A worthless device that imparts the warm and fuzzies.

David

I've done some research after our earlier conversation on this topic, and I'm surprised at what I've found.

I still have to have them absolutely aligned just for that warm and fuzzy feeling. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A plumb line is your friend here guys. Use it to calibrate an anti-cant level mounted on the scope.

The Reticle-Tru helps minimize scope cant relative to the centerline of the bore, basically. That's nice and all but it's not really the solution to the problem of shooting canted. You can still cant the whole system.

An anti-cant level on the scope (or mounts) CALIBRATED to a hanging plumb line is what solves this issue. A real, hanging plumb line works better than drawing a line on a target with a level.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Flame on! eek

Something tells me you didn't get the vertical crosshair aligned correctly with the Reticle Tru? Took me a couple tries... gotta move your head left and right a couple times to make sure the doo dad is properly aligned with the scope.

I also use three rubber bands to make sure I don't bump the doo dad while it's on the scope. I pull the bolt, align doo dad to center of barrel, tighten screws 1/2 turn at a time alternating screws while making sure everything doesn't move. Once I have everything tightened down check for level w/o doo dad on scope. It's far better than I can get by eyeballing. I can always tell if my scope it a little canted. It bugs the living schidt out of me.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just used mine this morning. Worked great.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I just used mine this morning. Worked great.

I'm pretty sure I need to try it. I've tried just about everything. They all look good till I get them to the range and lay them in the bags grin

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gonna have to get me one of those, didn't know they existed.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.