Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like a good choice for my wives kitchen knives. I have been promising her to sharpen them for about 30 years...

Tim, does the 154 sharpen up more easily that the S30V?

Defend the Constitution
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not Tim, but IME the answer is "yes"........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VinceM
I used to shy away from D2. Recently though I have gotten in some boning knives by Bret Dowell . Pretty high Rc,high satin polish & super thin slicer grinds. I have yet to see a spot,used daily in my kitchen & we cook a lot of salt water seafood. I can't dull it & it cuts & cuts.

Don't over think it. Like Dale Howe says & word is,it's more about the grind & heat treat.

I've never came across too many outdoorsman that would take an expensive knife afield , and deliberately neglect it.

I'm with you Vince.....seems like all the new "super steels" are a lot like computers or smart phones in that as fast as as one comes along that you just gotta have to be a real man something else shows up that's even "better" and that knife you just spent $200-$300 on is obsolete.....it's exhausting trying to keep up...
Most of my knives are D2 or good ol 1095 Carbon and I get along just fine.....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
close enough, thanks...I imagine he's headed out to the beach...:)

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In my humble opinion from my experience with 400 or so knives using the steels I mentioned above and sharpening from a blunt edge----
I do not see all that much difference in sharpening (or grinding) between the different steels. The difference in edge performance is more about the geometry of the blade/edge and the heat treatment.

I historically went with an approx 59/60 Rc using 440C, A2, 154CM, CPM S30V and 52100. All not too difficult to sharpen and holds and edge thru multiple animals.
ie: quite similar to sharpen and hold and edge.

This batch of blades I am doing now is out of CPM 154 and I am going with 61Rc. I did not notice a great difference, (possibly a few more strokes) to get sharp and seems to take and hold and edge EXTREMELY well.

I do not have any measured or retained data on this, just my fading senior memory.

I would think that most any blade from a reputable maker will perform quite well (that is why he is reputable). Certainly should be better than most production blades.

Just my opinion from the beach.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The top 1% do get a lot of beach time....and all those women...

Humor me here...so if a guy wanted a knife that sharpened up quickly at the expense of maybe doing one critter rather than several--a 59Rc would be more applicable?

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No, a 55 to 57 Rc would be good for about one animal.
A lot of production stuff is (or at least was) in this area.
Hence the many pictures of deer camp with guys setting around spitting on a stone and stroking their blades.

I used 59 Rc on all steels to allow multiple animals with one sharpening and still be 'soft' enough for most semi capable sharpeners to resharpen their own blade.
------------------------------------------------------------
Re read the above quote from me.....
"I historically went with an approx 59/60 Rc using 440C, A2, 154CM, CPM S30V and 52100. All not too difficult to sharpen and holds and edge thru multiple animals."
------------------------------------------------------------

The 61 Rc on this batch of CPM 154 will take a slight bit more work I imagine. But I don't see much difference on my Edge Pro with clean stones. I am expecting a longer edge retention at 61.

You must have had too many martinis for lunch.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Tim

Yeah, old butchers idle their days away giving martinis a bad name. I haven't seen any of those guy's stroking pictures--must be perusing different web sites than you...:)

That 55-57Rc may go a long way to explain my favorite, but long extinct, Olsen boning knives...

Will talk to you soon.

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

"Will talk to you soon."

-----So the steelies are moving in??????

Albert Einstein

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I abused this blade the last couple weeks, saltwater, butchering fish, cutting sausage, cuttin bait, it's elmax from Dale, bastard holds a edge and still looks new. Seems to be excellent blade material...
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Slight deviation from stainless steel...but steel related, none the less.

Saw a couple guys gandering over the Newaygo bridge. Young GSD can't drink w/o full immersion and he came back up smelling like a whole herd of fish last nite...so yeah, the salmon are coming up

Steelhead to follow...another month or so should be good...be ready...:)

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
hmmm....maybe bring some elmax....

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LostHighway
If looking for a stainless steel knife what stainless steel would be you be looking for? I'm favoring stainless for multi use on trips where I'm likely to encounter wet conditions.

Great thread. Enjoying the read.
Can you define "multi use"?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have made a few out AEB-L from Aldos. They seem to hold a keen edge well.
My wife has one that I made her for the kitchen everything else seems to be left alone now that she has it.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by j2dogs; 09/06/16.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Journeyman
If looking for a stainless steel knife what stainless steel would be you be looking for? I'm favoring stainless for multi use on trips where I'm likely to encounter wet conditions.

Camping, multi night float trips, and elk/deer hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is asking a lot of 1 knife.

For the price of that First Edge knife , you could get a camp knife and a hunting knife.

I would look at the Kabar Becker, Bark River, Ontario, Tops, or Esee knives for a camp knife. Not stainless but who cares?

Then get a nice stainless deer/elk knife.

For $300, I would rather 2 knives, each better suited for the task at hand.

JMO.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might add:

If I were to use one SS knife for all, be it not a custom, I would check out the Bark River Gunny or Bravo in Elmax or some Fallkniven VG-10 offerings....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Camping, multi night float trips, and elk/deer hunting.

Honestly, a stainless Mora will serve you perfectly for less than $20, but where's the fun in that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A $20 Mora would have a pretty small blade for a camp knife, IMO. But when I think of a camp knife it has a larger blade than something I would use on a deer.

The Moras are a great value.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I might add:

If I were to use one SS knife for all, be it not a custom, I would check out the Bark River Gunny or Bravo

Good advice....it's hard to go wrong with any of Bark Rivers knives....
I only own one BRK but the one I have is built like a tank and the fit & finish is excellent....

Originally Posted by 2muchgun
A $20 Mora would have a pretty small blade for a camp knife, IMO. But when I think of a camp knife it has a larger blade than something I would use on a deer.

When I think of a camp knife it looks a lot like a small axe.... smile

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/08/16.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.