Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Bottom metal does not appear to be original to the gun, all that I've ever seen have been stamped SUPER GRADE....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
BP-B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Great collection. Poconojack, it almost looks like the bottom metal on the 458 is aluminum?

I'd love to own that 375, I've been looking for one that needs a new stock. I have a mint condition 375 that I can't bring myself to hunt with.

The 300 looks to be in great condition as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question I would ask myself is what is going to become of the guns once you are gone?

They will become the property of your estate and could be sold for next to nothing to some peddler looking to double or triple his money. Let's face it, your wife and kids probably don't give a damn about those guns.

If you don't have a clear prospect in your family that wants to keep the guns: you are going to do yourself and your family a tremendous favor selling them before you leave this earth because you are probably the only one in your family that knows the monetary value of them.

And that way you can leave this place knowing the guns went to somebody that knew the value of the guns and is going to appreciate and enjoy them.

Like Fireball said: If you decide to sell them, take lots of pictures and start them .01 no reserve. The right guys are going to see them and they will probably go for crazy money.

JMO

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Bottom metal does not appear to be original to the gun, all that I've ever seen have been stamped SUPER GRADE....

The floor plate on the 458 looks like an anodized aluminum fwt. floor plate. It does need the correct supergrade floor plate for sure, or the price should be adjusted since it would have to be changed... I also WOULD NOT list these on gunbroker with a penny start and no reserve like some of these guys are mentioning here. You'd be much better off selling to one of these good guys here at a fair (to both of you) price. That, or list it on gunsinternational. Again, not gunbroker.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP can do what he wants. It don't matter to me.

But he certainly doesn't want himself and his family to get paid too much for the guns and won by one of the bad guys bidding on gunbroker.

I'm sure he will rest a lot better when he's dead knowing one of the "good guys" from the campfire got the guns, at a "fair" price...

Jeez

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem. If it were a savage 99, I could see starting the bid at a penny... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Do you have the swivels that came with the 458?

You know, I may have them. I have a couple boxes of stuff that I also got. Do not, specifically, remember seeing them but they may be in there.

B
OP Offline
B

I wondered about that floor plate. Seemed kind of weird. Good catch! I know my Grandpa never had anything done to this gun. He must have bought it like this. Wonder why they would have changed it out? Bummer, but nothing I can do about it.

B
OP Offline
B
I, also, have many boxes of older ammo that my Gramps had stock piled. Not sure how good it is but the brass would be beneficial to someone. It's kind of funny, though, there are sticker type price tags stuck to some of the boxes. Cannot remember for sure as it has been a couple years since I looked through it, but some of it was 6 or 8 bucks a box. I will never do anything with it. Some of it is starting to corrode and some is like new, well, as new as 40 year old ammo could look, I guess.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the input! I've learned some things here and appreciate the time that you guys took to respond!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
There's nothing wrong with 40 year old ammo. If it's been stored some place that's dry and somewhat cool, it'll be as good as the day it was manufactured. There a market for it too.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your grandad had some really nice stuff.

Last edited by southwind; 09/08/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwhntr350

I wondered about that floor plate. Seemed kind of weird. Good catch! I know my Grandpa never had anything done to this gun. He must have bought it like this. Wonder why they would have changed it out? Bummer, but nothing I can do about it.

The floor plate is an easy fix. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you can find them on ebay from time to time..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.375 H&H

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Your 375H&H is interesting. I wish the pictures were a little better. I'd value it as such:

1. Receiver with bolt and bottom metal: $1,000.00
2. Original 375 H&H barrel: $1,000.00-$275.00 (lack of rear sight) and subtract $40.00 for lack of front hood: $685.00
3. Stock: Stock itself is damn near worthless, sling swivels and sling: $50.00
4. Scope and mounts: put it on ebay and see what they are worth????

Total: $1,735.00 + scope and mounts...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.300 Win Mag

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.300 H&H. This one I could hunt with, and maybe, someday, I will.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That 300H&H is awesome. Looks like it was made around 1950 +/- 1 year. Serial # probably around 150xxx. Obviously it is missing a front sight and hood, but a damn nice collectable rifle. Definitely has some wear. I'm betting it was one of your grandfather's favorites.. You can tell, he carried it and shot it more than the others. I don't blame him. I'm not going to give you an estimated value on that one because you should probably keep it and not be temped by the almighty dollar. wink

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Your 375H&H is interesting. I wish the pictures were a little better. I'd value it as such:

1. Receiver with bolt and bottom metal: $1,000.00
2. Original 375 H&H barrel: $1,000.00-$275.00 (lack of rear sight) and subtract $40.00 for lack of front hood: $685.00
3. Stock: Stock itself is damn near worthless, sling swivels and sling: $50.00
4. Scope and mounts: put it on ebay and see what they are worth????

Total: $1,735.00 + scope and mounts...

I understand why you broke it down that way BSA, but the thought of him parting out Grandpas rifle is just sad.
Following this thread, I could probably understand selling the .300 Win Mag because he really never used it. The two H&H's I couldn't see ever parting with. I would however have the crack in the .375s stock stabilized, and then use them both sparingly. The .458 I probably would keep also because it represents a dream he never got to realize......and it's just unbelievably cool! As to what to do with them when "the time comes". I'd be looking at other family members and/or close family friends who would be appreciative of not only the rifles themselves, but the history of them. Myself, I'd give them to someone who'd revere their connection to Gramps rather than peddle them for cash to someone who didn't give a darn. But here again, it's just my opinion.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The floor plate is an easy fix. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you can find them on ebay from time to time..

Yep, easy fix for $400.00+ and one must also be very diligent as there are fakes out there....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
OP Offline
B
Serial numbers:

.458 Win Mag 481XXX
.375 H&H 481XXX
.300 H&H 192XXX
.300 Win Mag 556XXX

Thanks again for the input. The reason I put all the serial numbers up here is for you to see how close you got, especially, on the .300 H&H

You know your guns!

Thanks again!

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by tmitch

I understand why you broke it down that way BSA, but the thought of him parting out Grandpas rifle is just sad.
Following this thread, I could probably understand selling the .300 Win Mag because he really never used it. The two H&H's I couldn't see ever parting with. I would however have the crack in the .375s stock stabilized, and then use them both sparingly. The .458 I probably would keep also because it represents a dream he never got to realize......and it's just unbelievably cool! As to what to do with them when "the time comes". I'd be looking at other family members and/or close family friends who would be appreciative of not only the rifles themselves, but the history of them. Myself, I'd give them to someone who'd revere their connection to Gramps rather than peddle them for cash to someone who didn't give a darn. But here again, it's just my opinion.

I did not take it from the way that he did that, that he was suggesting I part it out. I just took it as an overall estimate of what I have.

To your part about finding someone who would value this gun with connections to my Grandfather, well, this is why I started this thread. There is not really anyone.

My kid got into trouble at 15 years old. He cannot be around firearms. He can fix that but he is too lazy to do so. Also, our relationship is not good and, if he got the rifle, it would be sold immediately, in my opinion.

My brother would value them greatly! When my Grandpa passed he got a couple Colt pistols. One of which was owned by and found on the dead body of Harry Tracy. This is debated as someone else claims that they own the pistol. We have written documentation on it, for what good that does a guy. I asked my brother about it, challenging it, but he don't care much about it, anymore. I offered to buy the two Colts, years ago for $10,000 but he would not sell. If you want some good reading, google Harry Tracy. Kind of interesting being he is Washington's biggest outlaw, ever (minus Washington D.C. of course, could never quantify that). Anyway, my brother is older than I am. Cannot see leaving it to him. Plus his kid is a two time felon. Man, our family is dysfunctional.

These two pistols were owned by my Grandfather in upstate N.Y. He was a gun collector with over 300 at one time. He sold off and that is how my Grandfather, here in Washington State got that gun. The N.Y. Grandfather's name was William (Bill) Massey and was a big time decoy carver back in the day. If anyone here is from upstate N.Y. and hunted ducks, maybe you have heard of Grandpa Bill.

My cousin would be the only other that would appreciate the gun/guns, seemingly, but he is the guy that started his ploy of ending up with my Grandparents estate as soon as my Grandpa died. He started doing my Grandma's books for her and, in failing health, got Grandma to change the will and nearly everything ended up being willed to him. I gave him some stuff, years ago, that my Grandpa left me that I did not have any use for, and thought he did, as he seemed excited to get it. He sold it. He is a work of art.

Anyway, my dilema is just this. Who do I leave it too? Do I sell? I, actually, have a few friends who would cherish them but they are all as old as me, or close.

I'm in no hurry. I don't even know what to do. So, I'll take your input, all of it from everyone, and ponder it some more.

Thanks again.

Oh, I can get some more pictures up here if you want?

Last edited by bwhntr350; 09/08/16.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm in a similar position as you are. I have one daughter who couldn't care less about having one or more of "dad's" guns. It would get sold (probably for pennies on the dollar) to the first person who made an offer.

I'm in the process of cataloging all the guns and giving them a value as of today's current prices. Within that documentation are the names of trusted people to contact regarding selling them at a fair price.

I hope to be able to do this myself as I would like to have control over not only the price (I know what there worth and what I paid for them)but where they go. I'd like them to go to someone like myself who would appreciate them not just try to flip them to make a buck off my cold dead corpse.

If you decide to sell I think you have probably figured out by now that the people here would A) treat you fairly and B) They would go to other like minded folks who would appreciate them for the pieces of history that they are.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
574 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.