Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I realize it wasn't suggested you part it out, BSA wouldn't do that. Just using a part by part reference to it's monetary value gives me the willies. crazy

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Bottom metal does not appear to be original to the gun, all that I've ever seen have been stamped SUPER GRADE....

The floor plate on the 458 looks like an anodized aluminum fwt. floor plate. It does need the correct supergrade floor plate for sure, or the price should be adjusted since it would have to be changed... I also WOULD NOT list these on gunbroker with a penny start and no reserve like some of these guys are mentioning here. You'd be much better off selling to one of these good guys here at a fair (to both of you) price. That, or list it on gunsinternational. Again, not gunbroker.

bsa's right. $.01 starts with no reserve on Gunbroker are not a given. A .458 is not on everyone's radar and you would have to hope for all the stars to align. Right people watching, availability of funds, etc.

Myself, I would be hesitant to sell at all. If I were that worried about buggering the 2 really nice ones up, I'd only take them out on sunshiney days and possibly only to the range, but it's pretty likely they'd get shot some before leaving my stewardship.

The other 2 I would likely first offer here at a fair price to give true sportsman a chance to own them. That way, I'd at least know they were going to a good home and have a very reasonable good notion that they would end up doing what they were built to do.

BTW, that .458 is beautiful. But, if you're dead set on selling, I'd get that bottom plate replaced with a Super Grade to get your best and highest dollars out of it.

All of the above is JMHO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch

Your 375H&H is interesting. I wish the pictures were a little better. I'd value it as such:

1. Receiver with bolt and bottom metal: $1,000.00
2. Original 375 H&H barrel: $1,000.00-$275.00 (lack of rear sight) and subtract $40.00 for lack of front hood: $685.00
3. Stock: Stock itself is damn near worthless, sling swivels and sling: $50.00
4. Scope and mounts: put it on ebay and see what they are worth????

Total: $1,735.00 + scope and mounts...

I understand why you broke it down that way BSA, but the thought of him parting out Grandpas rifle is just sad.
Following this thread, I could probably understand selling the .300 Win Mag because he really never used it. The two H&H's I couldn't see ever parting with. I would however have the crack in the .375s stock stabilized, and then use them both sparingly. The .458 I probably would keep also because it represents a dream he never got to realize......and it's just unbelievably cool! As to what to do with them when "the time comes". I'd be looking at other family members and/or close family friends who would be appreciative of not only the rifles themselves, but the history of them. Myself, I'd give them to someone who'd revere their connection to Gramps rather than peddle them for cash to someone who didn't give a darn. But here again, it's just my opinion.

tmitch, I'm not suggesting tearing the old rifle down at all. Sometimes it's easier for me to look at a rifle as parts. The actual value of the rifle may differ a small amount from the way I broke it down, but with one like this it's easier to visualize as parts and pieces. Like I said, I'd never part a cool old rifle like that one out. It still has many years left in it and it would be a shame to part it out. I'd find the right McMillan stock for that one and hunt the heck out of it. Kind of like I did with my 375 H&H.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwhntr350
Originally Posted by tmitch

I understand why you broke it down that way BSA, but the thought of him parting out Grandpas rifle is just sad.
Following this thread, I could probably understand selling the .300 Win Mag because he really never used it. The two H&H's I couldn't see ever parting with. I would however have the crack in the .375s stock stabilized, and then use them both sparingly. The .458 I probably would keep also because it represents a dream he never got to realize......and it's just unbelievably cool! As to what to do with them when "the time comes". I'd be looking at other family members and/or close family friends who would be appreciative of not only the rifles themselves, but the history of them. Myself, I'd give them to someone who'd revere their connection to Gramps rather than peddle them for cash to someone who didn't give a darn. But here again, it's just my opinion.

I did not take it from the way that he did that, that he was suggesting I part it out. I just took it as an overall estimate of what I have.

To your part about finding someone who would value this gun with connections to my Grandfather, well, this is why I started this thread. There is not really anyone.

My kid got into trouble at 15 years old. He cannot be around firearms. He can fix that but he is too lazy to do so. Also, our relationship is not good and, if he got the rifle, it would be sold immediately, in my opinion.

My brother would value them greatly! When my Grandpa passed he got a couple Colt pistols. One of which was owned by and found on the dead body of Harry Tracy. This is debated as someone else claims that they own the pistol. We have written documentation on it, for what good that does a guy. I asked my brother about it, challenging it, but he don't care much about it, anymore. I offered to buy the two Colts, years ago for $10,000 but he would not sell. If you want some good reading, google Harry Tracy. Kind of interesting being he is Washington's biggest outlaw, ever (minus Washington D.C. of course, could never quantify that). Anyway, my brother is older than I am. Cannot see leaving it to him. Plus his kid is a two time felon. Man, our family is dysfunctional.

These two pistols were owned by my Grandfather in upstate N.Y. He was a gun collector with over 300 at one time. He sold off and that is how my Grandfather, here in Washington State got that gun. The N.Y. Grandfather's name was William (Bill) Massey and was a big time decoy carver back in the day. If anyone here is from upstate N.Y. and hunted ducks, maybe you have heard of Grandpa Bill.

My cousin would be the only other that would appreciate the gun/guns, seemingly, but he is the guy that started his ploy of ending up with my Grandparents estate as soon as my Grandpa died. He started doing my Grandma's books for her and, in failing health, got Grandma to change the will and nearly everything ended up being willed to him. I gave him some stuff, years ago, that my Grandpa left me that I did not have any use for, and thought he did, as he seemed excited to get it. He sold it. He is a work of art.

Anyway, my dilema is just this. Who do I leave it too? Do I sell? I, actually, have a few friends who would cherish them but they are all as old as me, or close.

I'm in no hurry. I don't even know what to do. So, I'll take your input, all of it from everyone, and ponder it some more.

Thanks again.

Oh, I can get some more pictures up here if you want?

I say sell the ones I mentioned earlier. Take your wife on a nice cruise, or do something you've always wanted to do. I don't think your family will appreciate the rifles the way they really need to be appreciated. I think your grandfather would be proud of you no matter what you decide. Remember, these are inanimate objects and we can't take them when we go. If there's no one to leave them to, it makes more sense to bank the revenue from selling them. I'd keep at least 1 rifle though, just for the memory and tie to your grandpa. I keep an old Fox sterlingworth shotgun my grandfather gave me, right before he passed away and when I pick it up or hunt with it, I always think of the good times we had. It sounds like you are a very level headed guy that will make the right decision. Thanks for sharing your beautiful rifles with us too...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]I say sell the ones I mentioned earlier. Take your wife on a nice cruise, or do something you've always wanted to do. I don't think your family will appreciate the rifles the way they really need to be appreciated. I think your grandfather would be proud of you no matter what you decide. Remember, these are inanimate objects and we can't take them when we go. If there's no one to leave them to, it makes more sense to bank the revenue from selling them. I'd keep at least 1 rifle though, just for the memory and tie to your grandpa. I keep an old Fox sterlingworth shotgun my grandfather gave me, right before he passed away and when I pick it up or hunt with it, I always think of the good times we had. It sounds like you are a very level headed guy that will make the right decision. Thanks for sharing your beautiful rifles with us too... [/quote]

I could not of said it better, my sentiments exactly!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No problem. If it were a savage 99, I could see starting the bid at a penny... wink

Yeah. You are so much better than me cause you like 70's and I like 99's. That's a pretty tall horse you are ridding.

But at the end of the day any gun is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. And you don't deserve it any more than somebody that is willing to paying more for it than you are.

Just saying... wink

Last edited by 99guy; 09/10/16. Reason: spelling

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a supergrade floorplate..
But you have to make me a deal for the 300..either one..
I also have a brand new 300 win mag in pre 64.
You can PM me a price..If you are interested in selling either.
I am not a seller...I like to collect them

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 99guy
No problem. If it were a savage 99, I could see starting the bid at a penny... wink

Yeah. You are so much better than me cause you like 70's and I like 99's. That's a pretty tall horse you are ridding.

But at the end of the day any gun is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. And you don't deserve it any more than somebody that is willing to paying more for it than you are.

Just saying... wink

You suggesting he starts an auction at a penny on gunbroker is ridiculous. You have to have the right people looking at it at the right time. The 458 WM the OP has could potentially sell for half of what it's worth if the right people aren't looking at the auction. There are better options for selling this rifle and yours is not the best option or it's a big gamble. Is the OP willing to lose his azz if he listens to your suggestion? Probably not. It's not a question of who's better either, as I won't go there. I'll spare you that embarrassment. Just sayin.. wink

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those are some very nice and highly sought after guns.

The 300 H&H although the least value is the one I like the best; hard to beat pre 1958 M70's in my book.

I will venture a guess that the 458 African originally came with an aluminum Super Grade marked floorplate and your grandfather swapped it out for steel.

Last edited by sbrmike; 09/13/16.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by LeeC
I have a supergrade floorplate..
But you have to make me a deal for the 300..either one..
I also have a brand new 300 win mag in pre 64.
You can PM me a price..If you are interested in selling either.
I am not a seller...I like to collect them

Thanks! Still pondering and, knowing myself, probably will for some time.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,316 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.