24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a tune done on a 5.7 Corvette, and it made a noticeable difference.

GB2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Black Bear works well on GM 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 gassers. You'll most likely need to run 91 octane, minimum. Very noticible improvements in performance.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I doubt If I'll do anything. But if I do I'm specifically looking at 2014 F-150 with 5.0L V-8, 3.55 gears. I don't feel it is short on performance, but if I can get a little more HP, torque without losing fuel mileage I might consider it later.

Just trying to make sure I fully understand the concept before doing anything.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
I doubt If I'll do anything. But if I do I'm specifically looking at 2014 F-150 with 5.0L V-8, 3.55 gears.

I've owned 2 of those; a 2012 and a 2014. I didn't tune either of them, used them for everything from road trips to towing my camper, boat, and horse trailer. Never felt the need to tune and was VERY pleased with performance and fuel economy. I've heard they can really put out the power but never felt the need.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Manufacturers tune their engines to meet EPA requirements, maximize engine life and be compatible with a relatively wide variety of fuels. There is also room for some extra performance if you're willing to give up some engine longevity or run outside of EPA parameters.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
or run outside of EPA parameters.

I'm willing to run..... with scissors.

Far, far, far outside of EPA parameters.

Lol

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Totally OK as long as you have a catalyst on those scissors.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one for my Harley. Basically there's 2 types.

Those that piggy back the ECU and fool it into doing what you want and those that actually re-program the ECU. I went the reprogram route with mine.

Now this is a low tech, 103 inch, NA, 2 cylinder.

I immediately notices a MUCH smoother running bike, lower temps (it adds fuel - lean is hot, rich(er) is cool) and I went from 41 mpg all the time to nothing less than 45 mpg with 54 mpg a few times on leisurely runs with the dealer group. I expect to LENGTHEN the life of my engine because it's running cooler than before.

There's a gold mine of performance to be found in most anything electronically controlled - if you're willing to run with scissors.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Lol

Dave, things are changing up here too. As of July 1, 2016, a "Commercial Vehicle" with a delete will no longer meet the Ontario Safety Standards requirements. Meaning that truck, will be off the road until the system has been restored to factory specifications.

crazy

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
After some answers here and other research it appears that spending $300-$400 will net me about 15-20 HP and a similar increase in torque with the engine I have and will require premium fuel. I can't see the benefit being worth the cost, plus paying 50 cents more per gallon for fuel.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Lol

Dave, things are changing up here too. As of July 1, 2016, a "Commercial Vehicle" with a delete will no longer meet the Ontario Safety Standards requirements. Meaning that truck, will be off the road until the system has been restored to factory specifications.

crazy

There are guys that are starting to "ghost" the ECM of Class 8 vehicles -- basically they present a "dummy" ECM to the plug-in port. If the dealer or enforcement agency plugs in, everything shows A-OK, including speed limiter, but the real ECM tune is different.

Also handy for modifying ELD's without an edit record.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I put a Bully Dog on my 04 Chevy 5.3. A noticble difference in power, but not the gas milage. About the only reason I got it on there is for the temperature gauge that went bad in my dash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Dave, I don't pretend to know that much about the 6.4 as I have a 6.0, but here are a couple of items for your consideration. I'm pretty sure you're going to need a tuner with any 'delete'kits, so factor that into your cost.

EGR Cooler Delete

DPF Race Pipe

Thanks. I can make both of those items in my shop with stuff I have laying around. What I need is the delete compatible tuner. I understand that the tuners will be geared towards additional power/performance as well. I'm not apposed to that, I would just choose a lower level, mainly after programming corrections for these physical deletes.

I can't stand having black engine oil. That EGR chit has to go. I also hate the DEF, my 08 doesn't used DEF cleaning fluid, it simply floods the cylinders with diesel, some of that fuel gets past the rings and down into the crank case. The oil level goes up over time due to fuel contamination from DEF cycles.

If I'm going to keep this truck, that stuff is going away, lol.
The 6.4's can be MONSTERS with just a few basic mods/deletes. I'm near positive 500HP/800Lbs is very attainable with them with nothing other than the basics and a good tune.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/parts-accessories/0910dp-6-4l-power-stroke-power-recipes/

Last edited by k20350; 09/06/16.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.