Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Honda Fourtrax 4x4 here. Bulletproof.

LOL
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking at the Polaris Ace models. 60" wheelbase, single seat, fits in a regular pickup bed, and has a full rollcage.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by contender
I am looking for a new ATV(quadrunner) to replace an old and tired
185cc Honda trike. My land is fairly level and not to swampy. I probably will not do any trail riding. Hauling out deer and firewood logs will be about the extent of my use for it. That being said, I need something that
is at the lower end of the price range; but, sturdy and dependable.
Would appreciate commentary as to prices and brands.

Couple years ago I got in a new club where an ATV is mandatory for moving stands and fetching kills because of rough and hilly terrain. Honda Big Red 250 was down and I'd been thinking of a 4 WD anyway. Ended up finding a 1999 Foreman 450 4X4 with few hours/miles. Never did fix the 3 wheeler and finally sold it about a month ago. No way it would have done the job. You will never understand the difference between even an older 4 WD and your trike until you have used one a while. Even on flat ground 4 WD is amazing at crawling over small logs, thru ruts, over rocks, etc at low speed comfortably. Add grade to the ride and it's more amazing.

Your history with an old Honda probably matches mine. My Big Red was a 1986 I got from a lady owner in IIRC 1995. Thought it was the Bee's Knees compared to the Kawasaki 250 I wore out and I rode it places I had no right going. Based on my experience and experiences of friends I'd go Honda again without a blink. If you can shop around and come up with an older Foreman with a basic 5-speed transmission in good shape you'll save thousands over the price of a new one. If money's no object new is always good. And for me a 2 WD ATV is like a 2 WD truck....only about half as good as a 4 WD. Good luck.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I like polaris. Not as tough as Honda but better power and more comfortable.

The 450 with power steering would be just right for the kind of work you want to do.

4 wheelers with out power steering should be against the law.

You owe it to yourself.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Honda or Yamaha sumthing.........

most machines around here are all SxS UTV's anymore

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd look at the Kawasaki Bayou 4X4 300, or the Honda. Maybe a Yamaha Kodiak 400 if you can find one. The older shift machines are pretty darn reliable.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a fairly large man and the SXS do not fit me very well, even as a passenger. I like the older Honda's because of the old style engine. They use less fuel and seem to have as much power. I had a used one that I finished wearing out, except for the engine. I kept thinking that I would find a good one with a bad engine but never did. I still have it in the shed, just in case. I do like it way better than the newer rancher, although the rancher has worked for everything that I need, it is just not as comfortable nor as gas stingy. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'm looking at the Polaris Ace models. 60" wheelbase, single seat, fits in a regular pickup bed, and has a full rollcage.

I've been thinking of buying one of those for the Ranch just for patrolling the fence lines on the big Hill Country ranch I manage.

Took one for a test drive at the Dealer's the other day, and it rides smoother than our big double seater Ranger 900.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd look at the Kawasaki Bayou 4X4 300, or the Honda. Maybe a Yamaha Kodiak 400 if you can find one. The older shift machines are pretty darn reliable.
I used to have a Bayou 300 but it was a 2x4. It was almost bullet proof. The same thing in a 4x4 with a low range would have gone about anywhere. It was also light enough to be easily maneuverable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
228 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.