Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Guy has a restored CJ2A at work, too much $.
I can't do a 5 unless the ride softens.
If I got one it'd be for puttin around town, no top.
Just a sun runner.

MB grill on that 2A would look way better.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by SU35
I'm looking at an extra vehicle and will be looking at this one.

Anything I should know or look out for?

Never been a Jeep guy and don't know a whole lot about them.

1997 lifted Jeep Wrangler TJ - low miles - new top
97 wrangler TJ. 5spd. 4cyl. 109k miles. Winch, bumpers, lift, lights, stereo, sliders, 33" toyos, and other upgrades. New top, fenders, rear bumper. Has new brake booster, master cylinder, and new starter. Has had recent work such as new radiator, new battery, manifold gasket, driveline balance, pinion seals, and clutch.

guys asking $7,800

A '97 really isn't "older". Lol

'72 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

'78 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

Nice stuff, you lucky dog you! smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a few jeeps and just traded off an '08 to get a new'16. The one you're looking at is not one I'd consider. EVER

Just picking up a Jeep for a "second vehicle", could be anything from a DD to a toy. What you intend on doing with it has much to do with what would a good choice be.

I liked Cj5's, fun as can be but squirrly. Had a Cj2a that was more of everything but leg room. Truly crazy fun but...

In the price range you mentioned I'd look for an even older Cj7 that's had someone else's money spent on it. Again, depending on how you plan to use it, beefy axles with traction devices add to it's ability tremendously.

Look for one that has DANA 44's front and back. Disc brakes, gearing, lockers, and engine mods. If it has been screwed with you'll want to be sure it is well done or you may be buying someones headache.

My BIL sold his after he had tricked it out pretty well. I'd have liked to get it at the time but couldn't swing it. It was a STEAL of a deal for the guy who bought it.

Newer Rubicons are very well equipped stock. The X model could be ordered with good options.

If it's just a second rig with no real off road plans I'd get something else. The fuel milage isn't good, ride is rougher, it's limited in utility.

That said, I've owned at least one jeep most of my life. They really can be amazingly fun.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had 2 TJs, a '98 and an '05 Unlimited. I wouldn't do the 4-banger for a couple reasons.

1) Power .. not much. If you have A/C, don't even think about the 4 cyl. Even the 4.0L I6 was somewhat short on horsepower at freeway speed ... good torque on the trail.

2) They came with the AX-5 instead of AX-15 transmission which was weaker yet. (:ater they switched to an NVG 3550 .. and later yet, to a 6 speed.)

3) They came with the weaker Dana 35 rear axle. Both mine had the Dana 44, the first as an option, the second as standard equipment.

Gearing ... both mine came stock with 3.73s. In the first I swapped twice, once for a Detroit Locker and 4.10s, then later swapped the 4.10s for 4.56s. The 4.10s are a bit stronger because the 4.56s (and 4.88s) have a neck-down section on the pinion shaft. In '04 or '05 they went from the 5-speed to 6-speed manual with deeper gearing so it wasn't necessary to swap gears when I went from 30x9.5s to 33x.12.50s with the '05. With the '98, before I swapped gears, the 33s were doggy.

Soft tops ... the soft top on my '05 was quieter than the hard top on my '98. It was kinda weird 'cause stopped at a light I could hear people outside talking and yet at freeway speed, I didn't get flogged or buffeted. They call the newer material "sailcloth" ... it's a 4-ply bonded fabric. I think you can get it from BesTop now as a replacement for the older soft tops.

If I could find another '05 Unlimited with a manual transmission in decent shape at a sane price, I'd own it. Very very good rigs. At 12-ish years old they're still selling for 2/3s what I paid for mine new. Sanity doesn't seem to be part of the equation.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The 2013 and newer have the new V-6 engine. Lot better mileage ,

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by SU35
I'm looking at an extra vehicle and will be looking at this one.

Anything I should know or look out for?

Never been a Jeep guy and don't know a whole lot about them.

1997 lifted Jeep Wrangler TJ - low miles - new top
97 wrangler TJ. 5spd. 4cyl. 109k miles. Winch, bumpers, lift, lights, stereo, sliders, 33" toyos, and other upgrades. New top, fenders, rear bumper. Has new brake booster, master cylinder, and new starter. Has had recent work such as new radiator, new battery, manifold gasket, driveline balance, pinion seals, and clutch.

guys asking $7,800

A '97 really isn't "older". Lol

'72 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

'78 with upgrades

[Linked Image]

"It's a jeep thing"....

They suck balls...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
97 TJ lifted with a 4 banger is going to be like a woman . Everytime you drive it somewhere you are going to have to buy it something.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (Ashworth, 35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.