Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buzzie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've been on 2 trips to SA in the past 4 years. Our first trip I had an Nyala pedestal mount, Kudo, 2 Eland and Impala euro mounted. The 2 Eland and Impala euro's turned out great. The Kudo they boiled the crap out of it and also ruined the horns some. The Nyala, from a distance, looks great. Up close the work isn't the best. Horns were over boiled as well and you can see holes in the skin.

My trophies from last year arrive next week and I had a taxidermist in the US handle them. I had a Bushbuck pedestal mount for a desk made, Red Heartbeest, Black Wildebeest, Warthog and Waterbuck euro mounted. I'll assume the quality is top notch as I have only seen pictures and they look great.

The first trip I also picked up the crate myself and managed all the paperwork thru F&G. I tried to keep costs to a minimum. The current animals had to use a broker, used dip & ship and are being delivered to my house vs. having to go to the airport and take time off of work. Any idea on the price difference??

$1330 difference in price. I love seeing the animals on the wall but then again the taxidermy costs could fund the next trip to Africa as well. Looking forward to my Christmas morning on Monday when the crates arrive.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes taxidermy is expensive but it's hard to have cake and eat it too.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Both in the U.S.A. and South Africa you have to be selective as to the taxidermist. In South Africa you may be "encouraged" to use a specific one because the outfitter and/or PH get a kickback from them. Do some research and ask questions.

On my first trip, I had taxidermy done in the U.S.A. It took about 3 years to get my mounts which, when I got them, were satisfactory. On my subsequent two trips I had the taxidermy done in South Africa. The turn around was much faster (LOL) and the quality of the work just as good.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have made two trips to the RSA and a side trip to Namibia. In total, I have had 14 shoulder mounts done in Africa and shipped back from three different taxidermists.

All were well done, but none were cheap. I chose to get the work done in Africa, primarily because that's what they do, every day. IMO, the taxidermy work is a little cheaper in Africa, but it costs more to ship the completed mounts.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In general the taxidermy in the USA is the apex of the art form world wide. No other country on earth comes even close to the amount of astonishing quality of work.

South Africa, has an enormous volume of work, which reduces the quality time per trophy. It's staffed with marginal skilled workers that have no real concern over the end result. It's just a paycheck. This can be seen in the poor handling of the boiling of skulls and the basic preparation of skins.

I was an instructor at the PH academy to teach trophy handling and preparation. During this time I had quite a few "indigenous" people come through this part of the training to learn the process for the outfitter they were going to work for. They could learn the process mechanically but not emotionally. I know this sounds odd, but it's the best description I can offer. They knew the mechanical process of remove the hide, flesh the hide, and salt the hide. However the emotional aspect of this being an incredibly important item for the hunter was blank. They just slopped the salt on sometimes old used salt and often roughly handled the items.

The tough part for many outfitters is the amount of time invested to get a good skinner up to speed and qualified. They they drift off not really caring, or being properly attentive. Replacement skinners means generally starting over from the beginning and sending the next candidate to the school again. It's a struggle to have the best quality of care from a culture of people that don't grasp the end game or even care. Or at least care for some period of time, they seem to care during the training to get the job, but that fades and your back to starting over.

There are, and have been for me several amazing quality guys that have worked with me a very long time. They are attentive and caring about the trophies. It's difficult to keep them on staff seasonally as they move away or vanish between seasons. Sometimes they just simply vanish during the season for weeks ( after getting some of their pay). Then come back begging to have the job back after having left you in the lurch with 10-15 trophies a day being shot and your best guy just left without a word!

The early preparation of the trophies is critical to the end result. In this we all have struggles from time to time. In our current arrangement our best most experience Skinner has also become a full fledged licensed PH now. So he is on staff all year, he oversees the other skinners and takes this serious. It's the first time in my 25 years we have had such a great resource that completes the circle of the business with confidence.

We had another fella that was equal in every way, but did not speak any english, and had no interest in anything outside of the skinning and tracking role. I could live with that. He was one of the many that eventually passed away under 35 years old from AIDS.

Now that the trophies are properly cared for, they have to go to the dip pack process. We have them dried out as hard as plywood, this process requires they be soaked and processed to meet the global safe shipping regulations from any bacteria or disease etc. This then requires the dip pack to handle them perfectly. Once they are soft and wet again their attraction to hair slip bacteria is enormous.

After this they are again dried in the shade and then crated to be shipped. This crate is going to sit at the airport until there is space on a flight. It's considered non perishable so they are sitting on the outside tarmac often for weeks in the Que waiting to get loaded. This is especially true in Late October through Jan. There is also the complications of this being the warmest time of year, and the the rainy period. If that crate gets wet and the trophies get wet, it's gonna be big trouble upon arrival.

Once these hurdles are managed the crate arrives at the taxidermy shop in America where they get soaked and stretched to order proper sized forms. From there off to the Tannery where they get soaked up again! The fact that any taxidermy gets done with a high level of quality is an amazing accomplishment with the amount of people that have to handle these items with several that don't have a focus on the end result, jut their little piece of the process.

Now when something does not turn out good, or the hair slips, etc. whose fault is it? Think about the process and how many places it could go wrong. It's quite impressive to see African mounts with high quality when you understand the process!

Today I have about 1 in 5 hunters bringing back all the trophies. This is down from 3 of 6 about 5 years ago, which was down from near 100% 15 years ago. The advent of digital photography happened about the same time as trophies being left behind. Coincidence? Maybe, but knowing you have quality photo's on the spot being able to see the pictures the instant they are taken, being able to edit and crop and manage them provided a quality of the hunting memory that became good enough when compared to the cost of the taxidermy.

There are a number of very high quality Taxidermists in South Africa and Namibia. Interestingly many have sent their best guys to the USA to work as apprenticeship taxidermists for a year or more to learn the proper skills and artistic talents they needed. They can do equal work with the quality and skills you would get in the USA. The down side is that the price is also higher then other African based Taxidermy. The savings with shipping and delivery plus the timeline is not going to be much better. It's a tough call to be sure, I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do.

I will give this opinion in closing. Look at the auction houses and Ebay and see what these trophies sell for. It's pennies on the dollar when you're gone and the kids and family have to figure out what to do with them. The space they take up and the value is near zero to anyone but the fella that shot them. I have a client in PA. He has a giant trophy room with well over 100 various mounts and skulls. He bought almost everything from auctions and eBay. He said to me when I visited him,

" I have a beautiful trophy room that consists of trophies that I hunted and now can enjoy seeing them. They are not the ones I shot, But if you look over at the wall that has the fish, they are all fiberglass reproductions from the catch and release. They are not the ones I caught either. With the shipping taxidermy and pack and dip money I have saved, I have gone back to Africa and Alaska 10 times hunting!"

He is the ultimate trophy recycler, with one of the most impressive collections I've ever seen! He hunted and shot every one of the species in there, jut not the "exact" one that's mounted.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jim - Good write up. Although I live in PA I'm not the guy Jim's talking about with the big trophy room. I have however been to quite a few auctions where they were selling taxidermy. Most such auctions have some African mounts. What Jim stated about prices being pennies on the dollar is absolutely correct.

One mount that brought more than the usual amount of $$ was a very nice 40 inch Sable that sold for $500.

Earlier this year I attended an auction with two full body mounts of Lions. Both were large Lions with nice manes. One was just the Lion and the other was the Lion grabbing an Impala which was also a full body mount. Neither Lion sold due to the fact that there was a reserve price that was not met by the bids. I don't recall where the bidding stopped, but it was nowhere near what the taxidermy alone would cost.

I've been to Africa 11 times. The first time I brought back everything. The next time I brought back a few European mounts and since then it's been pictures only for me.

Last edited by Labman95; 09/11/16.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just back from Zim, and I spent a couple of hours at CTI taxidermy. I honestly don't believe the materials they use are as good as what I seen in the USA. Except for one mule deer head, I have had all of my taxidermy done by Jonas Bros of Denver. Their works looks much better IMO, than anything I have seen in Zim or SA (LifeForm). I could have saved about a thousand bucks on my newly-shot buffalo, if I have it done in Zim, but I would rather spend the $1800.00 at Jonas, because I know the product will look great when I first receive it and will still look great 15 years from now (like my previous cape buff heads).

BH

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've not regretted having capes and horns shipped heer and having my Taxidermist do the mounts.I know his work and what I'll get without rolling the dice

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ship them home the work there for the most part is not quality work poor production work at best in my opinion

Scott

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jim, great post.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.