Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
By necessity I guess. I wanted something for the kids to be able to shoot, so I ended up getting a Glock 17. Of course I started shooting it too and loved it.

One of the biggest reasons these days, is the economical ball ammo and outstanding defensive ammo. What's not to love.

GB1

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you to all who responded.

If I can play devil's advocate for second. If a high capacity magazine came back limiting you to 10 rounds, would you still select?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by leomort

If I can play devil's advocate for second. If a high capacity magazine came back limiting you to 10 rounds, would you still select?

It's still more shootable than .45 ACP or .40 S&W, and will still fit ten where those will fit less, so sure. For example, the single stack, compact, 9mm wouldn't become less popular if mags were limited to 10. Those same sized guns in .40 or .45 are much less enjoyable to shoot, and harder to shoot well (not to mention having less capacity).

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you can carry a spare 10 round 9mm magazine in your pocket easier than a spare 10 round 45ACP magazine.

Truth for me is that you read that trauma surgeons really cannot tell the difference between pistol caliber wounds in the operating room. That major federal, city and state law enforcement agency's are moving to the 9mm. That better bullets abound. If you add it all up with weight saving, shootability of the 9mm, cost, and commonality the 9mm seems to be winning the popularity contest. On the other hand there are perfectly good reason for wanting to fire a cartridge that throws a heavier faster bullet for more penetration, this has more to do with 4 legged animals than two legged animals.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Wish the SIG .357 was cheaper to shoot smile

Yes. I have a strong liking for the cartridge.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
how about an artillery P8 luger with a 32round snail drum mag?

This!!!

Because Parabellum 08's are uber cool!!

[Linked Image]

KAYWOODIE contra SEAFIRE

I think those earmuffs work better when they are on your ears. laugh

Yeah I know. Caught hell for that! Says a lot for your hearing when their use don't really matter.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Certainly. Read all the other reasons to go 9 rather than just firepower. The SIG P938 is all the reason I need. It doesn't hold much more than many revolvers. Ultra concealable and packable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9mm is the new 38 Special, which is not damning it with faint praise.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
SIG938 is one cool little gun. Practical and useful small guns in 9mm like the SIG938, Kahr PM9, Glock43 plus bullets like the federal HST have changed the whole CCW algorithm over the last few years.

So you can carry your LW Commander with 8 45ACP HST Cartridges in it or you can carry you very LW G43 with 8 9mm HST Cartridges. The Commander is much easier to shoot and hit with, the G43 is much lighter and will work just fine out to 15 yards for me anyway, then again the trauma surgeons just don't seem to be able to tell the difference based on my readings anyway. Hard to justify a G17 or SIG226 or Beretta 92 in 9mm these days unless your in a combat zone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Call me retarded (it's ok! Many here do) but I've also become a fan of the .38 Super.

you just caused rjm to rollover in his sleep.
insteady of that 1930's round the 38super, you COULD look at the modern day version the .357sig.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had never owned a 9mm, cost of ammo was a good reason/excuse to buy one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Federal HST 147 and 124
Open reliably regardless of medium and penetrate within than FBI 12-18" protocol
Really make the 9mm viable IMO
Pick your poison

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/08/16.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Call me retarded (it's ok! Many here do) but I've also become a fan of the .38 Super.

you just caused rjm to rollover in his sleep.
insteady of that 1930's round the 38super, you COULD look at the modern day version the .357sig.

Ha! What would be the fun in that????

Might as well buy an AR -15??????

Geez Ron.

laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

If that happened, I would continue carrying my standard capacity (15 & 17rd) magazines. Some things are more important than obeying a politicians desire to disarm you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

If that happened, I would continue carrying my standard capacity (15 & 17rd) magazines. Some things are more important than obeying a politicians desire to disarm you.
just buy what you need now... any future legislation would probably only ban the future sale of hi-cap mags, i doubt it would require you to turn them in or not be allowed to use them....

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/08/16.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Because Glock makes a 33 round magazine that fits the 17.

and 19,26,34 and all the .40 double stacks with a lone wolf drop in 9mm barrel grin

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Because Glock makes a 33 round magazine that fits the 17.

along those same lines...you can get 30 round mag for another 9mm, the H&K VP9

i have one of these for the glock and it would be great in a RED DAWN/SHTF situation but I generally leave the magazine empty but hey more options, thats why were talking 9mm!

― George Orwell, 1984
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
You should keep that 33rd mag loaded - they make a nice thumping stick too.

Then again, if you used it that way, it might be an "assault magazine". smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering
You should keep that 33rd mag loaded - they make a nice thumping stick too.

Then again, if you used it that way, it might be an "assault magazine". smile
hahahaha true
i could even use it as a bat!

― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
SIG938 is one cool little gun. Practical and useful small guns in 9mm like the SIG938, Kahr PM9, Glock43 plus bullets like the federal HST have changed the whole CCW algorithm over the last few years.

So you can carry your LW Commander with 8 45ACP HST Cartridges in it or you can carry you very LW G43 with 8 9mm HST Cartridges. The Commander is much easier to shoot and hit with, the G43 is much lighter and will work just fine out to 15 yards for me anyway, then again the trauma surgeons just don't seem to be able to tell the difference based on my readings anyway. Hard to justify a G17 or SIG226 or Beretta 92 in 9mm these days unless your in a combat zone.

I personally find the Glock 17 perfectly comfortable for all day carry. I don't even notice it at the end of the day. While it's true that a smaller, single stack like a Ruger LC9S Pro, prints less for all usual body positions; a Glock 17 is easy enough to conceal so long as you watch your posture a little. That being the case, I personally find it hard to justify carrying a compact single stack (with its comparatively limited round capacity), apart from rare circumstances. But they are well worth having for those rare circumstances.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.