Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
About halfway through a 5-mile walk a few days ago I started feeling discomfort where my heel joins the arch of my left foot. I was trying out shoes I hadn't ever walked any distance in. By the time I got home it was painful and 3 days later it's still pretty bad. D'oh!

I have a difficult (rugged, no trail) pack hunt in 3 weeks. It's a premium tag and I'll crawl in if I have to but I'd rather walk.

I have been following an ice, ibuprofen, and rest regime these last few days. It's a lot better but I still can't walk normally.

So--- advice? This is a new one for me. What's my best path towards having a functional foot in 3 weeks?

As a side issue... my nice stiff Asolo boots have become unwearable due to pinching down on the bone of my big toe (on the other foot) painfully, right where there's a rivet in the boot. Seems that I bruised the bone last fall packing out my deer, probably, and didn't know it until I put those boots on this spring for a hike. So, I've been walking/hiking this summer in some relatively soft-soled, flexible Merrels. I am not opposed to buying new boots if, for instance, a really rigid footbed (last?) is desirable to help heal this plantar issue.

All advice appreciated. I'm 51.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://thesock.com/

Two weeks will make a huge improvement if you've caught it reasonably early. Also no bare feet until it heals.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bummer! The Sock works great. I also found that KT tape helped. YouTube has videos on how to apply it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stretch it and the symptoms will go away

If you have a set of stairs you can a lot of good in 30 min of stretching....rolling the soup can is another stretch

Sit on the floor with your legs straight and flat on the floor. Pull you're first third (toes) with a looped towel as hard as you can for several 2 to 3 min. Sessions

Google it

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs, thanks for the link. I'm on it!

No bare feet? I have hardwood floors and am usually barefoot when I'm inside this time of year. Hmmm.

Talentrec, I'll look into KT as well. Thanks!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hardwood floors make it worse. I had a bad case that took months to get rid of and among other things my doc said no bare feet on the floors, especially when rolling out of bed in the morning. He recommended a pair of Super Feet sandals, which I keep by my bed and wear around the house.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mine got so bad I thought I would have to quit work.
Doc said no bare feet, no flip flops, no cheap shoes. Even when sitting around at night at home he said wear shoes with good insoles.
I used a "boot" at night that held my foot upward. ($25 ebay)
Between that and powerstep pro insoles ($65 at doc, $40 online) and a couple of months it has went away.

I feel for anyone who has it and cant get rid of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Powerstep Orthotics insoles in every single pair of shoes I own

Truly the best

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good advice so far. I had a bad case several years ago in my road running days. Laid me up most of a race season. I tried the sock but it caused pain in my toes, the hard boot that you can get off ebay worked better for me. I also did some therapy where they hooked my foot up to an electric current devise of some type, but the best was the deep tissue massage they did after treatment. I know a lot of runners who had the cortisone injections and it helped but are pretty painful to get. I've read where too much will also weaken the plantar tendons and cause more problems in the long run. Good luck, many of us have felt your pain!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
It took almost 1 year for mine to heal up. My pain was worst in the morning, I'd have to hobble to the bathroom to pee. I don't know if the last doc was a genius but I did recover quickly afterward. He said first thing in the AM to get a handball and put it on the floor then roll your heel over it to "crush" the scar tissue that had built up in the night. His philosophy was that stretching and walking would re-tear but crushing would allow it to stretch after being crushed. He said to use a towel and stretch through the rest of the day. I also tried every pair of shoes I owned and my zero-drop shoes allowed my heel to make less contact and my foot hurt less.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some common sense goes a long ways. It might feel a lot better in 3 weeks but to take off on a long trip packing weight could leave you in a real bind a long ways from the road. It needs time to heal properly and that could do a lot of long term damage.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Naproxen Sodium is more effective than Ibuprofen. A doctor can write you a prescription for a more powerful dose. But my orthopedic DR advised me to simply take a double dose of the over the counter version as needed after my knee surgery. I have problems with flare ups with plantar fasciitis and have used the same treatment. Last time I took a double dose of Naproxen Sodium at 8AM and 8PM and a double dose of Ibuprofen around noon. Did this for about a week along with stretching and it cleared up faster than in the past.

Be aware that long term use of these drugs will damage the liver. My doc says that for occasional short term use this is OK. You don't want to be taking either of these even at normal doses long term. If the problem doesn't get better within a week or 10 days I'd go off the meds and see a DR.

I had to do that once. They gave me a shot of steroids directly into the heel. Very painful, but it cleared up very fast. Something to consider if you're getting close to time to go and need relief NOW.

Stretching and ice treatments are important too. Sit on the floor with your leg extended and try get the back of the knee joint flat on the floor. Wrap a belt or strap around the ball of your foot and pull on the belt to stretch. You'll feel it in the calves too.

Instead of a handball fill a 16-20 oz Coke or Gatorade bottle with water and freeze it. Roll it under your foot. A bottle with some texture on it will provide a massage and ice treatment at the same time. I used the same bottle later for the ice treatment.

Once you know you are susceptible to plantar faciitis the best treatment is prevention. It sounds like you're at the early stages and should be able to knock it out on your own before it gets bad. I've limped around for 2-3 months in the past.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been dealing with it for months. Good advice above.

Its no fun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff,

My biggest relief came after being taped by the phys therapist. It took a while (1 month +/-) for me to get into one after seeing my doctor and I wondered why in hell he couldn't have done it, the relief was that immediate. Not perfect, but it allowed me to get back to doing nearly normal things.

Slippers with padded heels in the house, esp on hard floors. I hate it as I'm a barefoot guy, indoors and out. OH well.

The sock has helped too. I'm guessing the hard "shoe" type sold on amazon and such might work also.

Heel pads in my work shoes and boots. Even the $5-7 pairs from Wally World work.

My PF is almost all gone now, at just about year into it. As I said, the taping worked wonders. I haven't had to taps since June or so. The brand my PT used and I got from him was Leukotape P available on Amazon. I could get three days or so from a tape job, even showering and working.

Good luck getting ready for your hunt. I did one quail hunt on some steep stuff with mine last year and was a wreck after about 3 hours. I'd bet I could have easily doubled that after taping and with the heel pads in my boots, maybe gone a whole day.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Sock listed by pugs and these inserts have worked for me.

https://heelthatpain.com/

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My sister suffered for about a year.

Never ever go barefoot.

Stretch in the morning and several times each day.

She swears that what helped her the most was to freeze bottles of water and roll them back and forth under the arch of her foot as much as possible in the evening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LostArra
The Sock listed by pugs and these inserts have worked for me.

https://heelthatpain.com/

Those look good. I've also used these with good results. I wear them in everything including boat shoes, slipper, boots and running shoes.

https://secure.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds/signature-karnazes/

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had PF about a year ago. I used much of the advice given on this thread and it still took a couple months to go away. A couple of things that helped me. First I was doing a fair bit of running. My shoes were worn out - new shoes helped. Don't know how old the Merrells you have but a new pair might be in order. The biggest thing that helped me were the frozen water bottle rolled under my foot and a golf ball using the same rolling deal. I found the golf ball was smaller and allowed me to hit more specific spots than the water bottle. I also did stretches 3-4 times a day.

To keep in shape, I would lay low on any running or other forms of foot abuse and concentrate on something that doesn't pound your feet. An elliptical, bike, or something similar would be my choice.

Good luck.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever fought a bout with calcaneus bursitis? Any luck ever curing it? This is the bursa sac on the bottom of the heel being inflamed. Worse thing ever and I don't seem to be able to find a cure. Have thrown lots of money at it without any luck. Thanks for any real experience.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sorry to hear about your injuries, Jeff.
My advice is to consult with a foot doctor and follow his advice.
I'd be surprised if you will be in shape to go hunting in 3 weeks. As a retired construction worker, I've been injuried a good bit and have seen many also injuried. Stuff like that often takes months, not weeks to heal.
You might consider turning in your tag/permit if you aren't 100% in 3 weeks and getting a full refund.
If it were my decision, I'd think long and hard on an off trail, back pack hunt. Being badly injuried in a place with no good trail system, or even one that did have such trails, is a real disaster. It can be life threatning. Off trail, it would easy to injure yourself more. Such activities places all sorts of strains on us that we are often not conditioned for.
Do be careful. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^^good advice

I put up with this for more than a year, working on concrete in a factory. Only after my wife started getting it did I know what was wrong. I was so screwed up it took over a year to be able to painlessly walk first thing in the morning.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good advice, but start stretching right now. The calf bone connecta to da plantar fasciatis bone. Stretch your calves. Stretch with knee straight, knee bent, on stairs, any and every variation of a calf stretch possible. Not saying you won't do everything else above, but it all starts with stretching the calves.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Stretching, ice, medication are all great. I would add a couple of things.
First, get custom orthotics. Wear an hour the first day and add an additional hour every day or two afterward. You won't have them ready for your trip , but it will help for the future.
Second, stretch the calf as explained above. Also add standing (not full weight) on a dowel or rolling pin for a few seconds at a time. Let the curve fit into the arch of the foot to help stretch that area out. Make sure you get down into the heel. Follow with ice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad I found this thread. Have been having issues for so long that I now have bone spurs as well to deal with. Going to go back to stretching, ice, heel inserts and see if I can get some relief. Prolotheraphy injections helped for one yr but then wore off. I suspect that calf muscles are too tight. Also going to scrape the foot bottom and calf as well. It has been an ordeal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One more vote for no bare feet around the house.

Ten years ago or so, I suffered terribly in both feet. Doctor advised house shoes. Wearing slip-ons in the house soon had me fixed up. Also, replace your shoes or insoles when they start to wear out. Trying to stretch them out for a bit longer to save money will cost you.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I run up to 20 miles per week and have had PF twice over the last 4 years. It does suck, especially first thing in the morning.

I had the steroid shot both times, the first one worked great and the 2nd didn't eliminate the problem. I just had to cut back on my running, use an elliptical instead, and do stretching exercises occasionally. It took 6-8 weeks to go away the 2nd time, but I didn't stay off of it completely either.

I'm pretty sure both times were caused by going too many miles before swapping shoes

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife took care of her's by wrapping it tightly but she started doing it almost immediately after the symptoms appeared. It still took over a month.

As I said before, a hard trip now will likely aggravate it and make it far harder to get rid of, not to mention being downright dangerous. It's hard to cancel a long planned trip but its just asking for trouble.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you go, at the very least carry a SPOT or similar signaling device. Rescues are pretty expensive but SPOT does sell rescue insurance that pays for it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
So, I've been walking/hiking this summer in some relatively soft-soled, flexible Merrels. I am not opposed to buying new boots if, for instance, a really rigid footbed (last?) is desirable to help heal this plantar issue.

Lose those soft-soled Merrells and get a boot with a proper shank. Especially if you will be backpacking. Having a whimpy sole is the worst thing you can be doing to that foot right now. It needs good support, not more stress. Some good insoles with appropriate arch support and a gel heel insert are a good idea as well. There are some semi-custom ones showing up at the big hunting and outdoor stores now. Get a pair when you get some new boots. But dang that is not a lot of time to break a pair in.

The rest of the advice is good too, but those boots may well be the cause and continuation of the problem. Don't rely on those if you are going to pack into a rugged place. They might finish crippling you for your hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jaguar, any particular insoles like described which you like?

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jaguar, agree that new boots would be a bit of a disaster. This whole thing is a bit of a disaster. The positive to new boots is I can handle "surface" pain like blisters.

I may try to modify my Asolo's. They are properly stiff.

While I am REALLY appreciative of the help, this thread has been very depressing and concerning. This is a real problem. Shït!!

Here's where I'm packing in by the way. Rugged to say the least. It's about 5 miles to where I'm going... takes about 7 hours.

[Linked Image]

It's going to be a tough crawl <grin>.....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful country. Sheep?

I actually wear custom orthotics because of very high arches and the need for metatarsal support, but I noticed those at a Sportsman's warehouse recently, then saw them at Bass Pro as well. They have some kind of pad that analyzes how your foot meets the ground, similar to what they did when I had the orthotics made, and it recommends the best insert to fit your foot. Partner had a problem like this that developed just as we were heading in to pack out a bull. Could barely walk coming down with meat. That was a bad experience. It was due to a boot with no shank, a little predisposition to the problem, and country like your photo.

If you can find a shoe repair place they may have a stretcher with a ball where they could relieve the pressure on the toe from your Asolos. Is there maybe room to put one or two of those corn doughnuts around the problem spot on the toe? That might take the pressure off the trouble spot. I hate it when a well broken in pair of boots suddenly gives problems. Had it happen though, more than once. Sometimes due to the boot breaking down over time even though not looking worn out.

You should seriously consider taking some good hiking poles or at least one good hiking staff. It might save your bacon. It does make a difference when you have a bad limb, regardless of the reason. Take it from me on that. I have plenty of experience with limping along due to bad parts. Leaning on a stick helps in several ways, but most definitely with taking a little weight and helping with balance so you don't have to make quick, and painful moves to catch your balance. Being injured makes it less fun.

I hope you find a way to get around it. (CLC carried by Ace Hardware makes some great kneepads...be slow going, though eek)

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This will be my third hunt up there. There's sheep, but I'm hunting mule deer. The pack starts at about 9400 feet. It's gorgeous country (SE Oregon).

Couldn't agree more about a stick! I used one the other two times. The first time, my knee started glitching halfway in and was FUBAR by the time I finally got to the co-ords I was headed to. That stick saved my butt. That turned out to be my first incidence of IT band pain, though I didn't know that at the time. Isn't getting older GREAT? Anyway, a stick lets you take the load off a malfunctioning joint... mostly. I also used it a lot for balance and as an anchor point when picking my way through the cliffs (rimrocks). Invaluable.

You may be onto something there with the Asolo's.

Here's a pic from last year. This is at about 8800 feet. I got my buck in the sage, out of the frame towards the left. I packed this one down, through that aspen grove. Not fun. But SO MUCH FUN! smile

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Jaguar, any particular insoles like described which you like?

Im not Jaquar but...

Powerstep Orthodics are in every pair of shoes I own

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question for those who have had PF - is the recurrence rate high?

I ran all my life, done Karate since College off and on since being on the team. So all that was barefoot, been in sales on hard soles much of my career, and yes, been barefoot around the house a good bit.

When I shop for new running shoes, it seems most are all junk, the soles are seemingly cheap lightweight foam, and it does not hold up well. Also the arch support in many shoes is a simple cheap material that is ineffective IMHO.

Anyone else feel that quality of shoe materials and construction has been cheapened over the years? I feel there is a correlation for those who run. Yes, I have also tried stretching using shoes beyond the life, but the new ones seem like junk out the box......thoughts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a pair of Merrel's almost ruin my feet. If the Asolos pinch, try Solomon 4D's. I am an Asolo guy, but the Salomons are just as rigid and don't pinch. They wear fast but are great otherwise.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you don't treat it right and get it completely healed, then yes. It'll usually come back and bite you when you need it the least.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 65BR

I ran all my life, done Karate since College off and on since being on the team. So all that was barefoot, been in sales on hard soles much of my career, and yes, been barefoot around the house a good bit.

When I shop for new running shoes, it seems most are all junk, the soles are seemingly cheap lightweight foam, and it does not hold up well. Also the arch support in many shoes is a simple cheap material that is ineffective IMHO.

Anyone else feel that quality of shoe materials and construction has been cheapened over the years? I feel there is a correlation for those who run. Yes, I have also tried stretching using shoes beyond the life, but the new ones seem like junk out the box......thoughts?

I'd guess I'm younger than most around here, and I've only been running regularly as a hobby for 4-5 years. So I don't know how good the running shoes of yesteryear were, but I've put 1000 miles on a few pairs myself. And many of those were on rough dirt roads and trails. They didn't fall apart.

So no sir I don't think running shoes of today are junk. But I will say if you're buying based on looks, or using nike, reebok etc they may not be what I'd call real running shoes. The serious runners I know wear Brooks, Saucony, Asics, new Balance etc. Most big box stores I've looked at don't carry many pairs of serious running shoes. I buy most of mine from Runningwarehouse.com.

On your question about recurrence of PF among regular runners, yes it can be a chronic problem. I realized after my 2nd time that I need to pay more attention to wear on my shoes, So I only go 500ish miles now before swapping, and try to alternate shoes also. I'm currently using 3 different pairs of New Balance. my current favorites are the Leadville 1210.

Another important issue with running shoes is picking the right pair, with the right amount of arch support for your foot and stride. Shoes vary from "barefoot feel" (almost no support) all the way to motion control shoes that look like those "shape ups" with the super thick soles. I use shoes on the very moderate support side.

I also made a conscious effort to improve my stride and try to land mid foot vs. all on my heel when running. And I run mostly on pavement now as well, which is better on the feet than rocky roads. Lastly, when my feet start hurting I back off the running for a few days and do lower impact exercise, like riding my elliptical trainer.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to try a conditioning ride today. I use clip-in pedals/shoes on my road bike and they have carbon soles that are stiff as a board. I've been putting them on every day and standing on the pedals, but was still feeling pain. Today, not so bad, so I'm going to at least give it a spin.

I'm in very good aerobic shape, mostly from cycling, so I've got a bit of buffer there, but this is a high altitude hunt and I've got to find ways to not backslide too far.

I also found a way to lace the Asolo's that keeps that [bleep] shoelace eyelet rivet from digging into my toe bone. I'm going to try wearing those exclusively the next few days and see if it helps.

I'm a big guy @ 6'4" 210 lbs and I've always had surprisingly good wheels. However I can see it's time to start really taking care of my damn feet.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Was able to ride a solid ride with a buddy... 26 mi.... so that's good in terms of keeping other parts of the carcass in good trim.

The very rigid soles of the 'spensive bike shoes kept the forces up on the balls of my feet.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

This helped me INSTANTLY...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF7HkfcPrU4

Stretches and knead soles to break up scar tissue then rebuild strength.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I will check that out as soon as I'm back on my wifi. Thanks!!

I bought an insert proclaiming itself to be for fasciitis. I also got some "donuts" per another suggestion to protect my toe from the rivet in the other boot. I'm wearing the boots now and intend to continue. It's a cut-to-the-chase move; I gotta be able to function in these boots, might as well press that issue forward.

I can walk with minimal limp now but I'm still rolling onto the outside of my foot at the last bit... y'all know what I'm talking about. But it's improving. I've got 2.5 weeks. I'm making my peace with the idea that might have to modify my hunting plan BUT I'm not giving up yet!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you currently in PT or have you received any type of steroids yet?

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No... should I? Is the steroid shot enough of a solution that I should just get my doctor-hating ass in and get the shot?

Last edited by Jeff_O; 09/12/16.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm currently doing PT for my knees 2x a week for strengthening of torn Patellars left 80% right 20%

I'm doing it at a sports medicine specific training facility

I asked my PT Ryan Press if you would benefit frome either or both?

His reply was without a doubt he could help but the window is short.

Visiting an understanding doctor will also get you an Rx for better than otc meds

3 and 4 times a day 10 minutes of stretching the calf and underlying foot asap

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, that shot is said to have mixed results......likely odds are, it varies in effectiveness from one patient to the next. You might ask a reputable Orthopedic MD in your area.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Time is short- you need to get injected ASAP.

I had both of my heels injected 5-6 years ago. That was the only thing that cured my plantar fasciitis and I've had no relapses.

It should burn and sting like a sonofabitch at first- that means they injected the right spot. Then stay off it til the last minute.

Good luck. Could be worse- Morton's neuroma which can cause you sever sharp pain even when laying down and is exacerbated by tight shoes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I started eating six or eight dried cherries every day as a home remedy for arthritis since sour cherries have known anti-inflamitory chemicals. After a couple of weeks the plantar fasciitis went away. After a year or so cherries or cherry juice once a week or so seems sufficient. Not going barefoot in the house is a big help.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had three outbreaks of plantar fasciitis and two of them were a month or so before CO elk hunts. One of the hunts was a backpack hunt. My doctor suggested that I reduce my (running/walking cardio) training and spend more time with stretching exercises and rolling a frozen bottle of water on the bottom of my foot. He also suggested taking Ibuprofen. I muddled through both hunts only minor discomfort.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ibuprofen is my friend. Do not be a tough guy and avoid "pain" medicine. You are taking it for the anti-inflammatory affect. 800 mg generic Naproxin, I think, prescribed by an MD will be cheaper than OTC.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I echo what Tony Soprano said, get the steroid injection ASAP.

About 10 years ago I got PF in my right foot. Did all of the treatments listed in the above posts, including night splint/boot, ice rolling treatments, massage, anti-inflammatory meds, custom orthotics, stretches, etc. Did all of that stuff for about a year and a half. I did get a steroid injection a couple times (the docs say you shouldn't get them more than a few times/year as it could cause damage to surrounding tissue); the injection in the heel is super painful, and the injection site was very sore for a couple days. But after that, it was fabulous, no pain at all. However, after a couple of months, the pain returned and I'd repeat that treatment cycle. My doctor talked to me about having surgery done, where they go in and clip the ligament, allowing it to then "lengthen" as scar tissue grows back and reconnects to the bone. It isn't always successful and I was leery of it. Then my podiatrist recommended an alternative procedure called lithotripsy, via an instrument called an Ossa Tron. Insurance was reluctant to cover it but finally did. It is a shockwave treatment that "zaps" the insertion site where the ligament attaches to the heel. It sort of traumatizes/causes an acute "injury," which the body usually responds to and heals (PF is a chronic injury where micro tears keep occurring each morning after rest/healing during the night, and that is why it is so hard to get rid of). Anyway, this Ossa Tron treatment worked and I've been fine in that foot ever since. If you can get it down the road, it might be worth a try.

THEN, about 5 years ago I developed PF in my left foot. I started the various treatment cycles again, including the steroid injection, which again, was the only thing that worked. I'd had the condition for about 6-8 months, and then the strangest thing happened. I was playing tennis and went to plant my left foot hard to push off and go to my right when I heard and felt a loud POP in that foot. I went down to the ground immediately, scared of what happened. Long story longer, I went to the ER and MRI showed that I had ruptured the ligament, torn from the bone. However, that wasn't such a bad thing as in effect, I had "performed" self-surgery, and it really wasn't all that painful. I was in a walking boot for a couple of months and after that and to this day, no problems. The ligament had healed/tissue lengthened and it was fine.

Anyway, sorry for the long story. But if you really want to go on your hunt, I say get the steroid injection about a week to ten days before the trip and you will be fine. Just double-check with your doc to make sure he doesn't think you could further injure yourself. I've had these injections in my heels, knee, thumb, elbow, and shoulder, and they always take the pain away for a couple months, at least.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I've had three outbreaks of plantar fasciitis and two of them were a month or so before CO elk hunts. One of the hunts was a backpack hunt. My doctor suggested that I reduce my (running/walking cardio) training and spend more time with stretching exercises and rolling a frozen bottle of water on the bottom of my foot. He also suggested taking Ibuprofen. I muddled through both hunts only minor discomfort.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT! OPTIMISM! smile

Lot of stretching and icing going on. Also unfortunately plent of standing on concrete (lathe work) but I do have anti fatigue mats.

My working hypothesis is that I'll get this [bleep] healed up enough to, as Biggs says, muddle through the hunt.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
PF sucks. My foot Doc suggested Superfeet Green insoles https://www.superfeet.com/

Amazon and other places sell them.

They helped a lot but it took a shot to get it under control for me.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had PF in both feet about 20 years ago. I hated getting out of bed in the mornings because I knew how bad it was going to hurt walking across the floor. I went to doctors for several years, and tried about everything.....exercise, therapy, cortisone (steroid) injections, medicine, and special made insoles. The shots helped the most, but eventually they didn't want to give me anymore. I finally had surgery for it, and that fixed it. I would recommend to anyone to have the surgery, and bypass all the other things.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Powerstep Orthotics insoles in every single pair of shoes I own

Truly the best

I do the same tedhorn.. Powersteps in every pair of shoes/boots I own. They last a long time and normally out last the shoes and I just move them to a different pair.

Another thing I do is after sleeping overnight I never stand up right away when getting out of bed. I always roll out of bed on to one knee, then place the other foot on the floor, then place my elbow on that knee and put some light weight on the foot, then do the other foot some, swap back and forth and increasing the weight place on the foot. I repeat on each foot about 3 or 4 times to stretch out that tendon/foot some before standing. That way it has less chance of damage. I've done this for nearly 20 years now and I have minimal problems now.... yes it is a PIA but not nearly the pain of my plantar fasciitis tear, it only takes about 90 seconds or so... beside it gives me a good opportunity to pray about the day I fixin to start.

Be Safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Last year a very similar thing happened to me. I was getting ready for a dall sheep hunt in AK and went out 2-3 weeks before I left and tried "superfeet" green insoles in my boots on a 7 mile hike with my pack in the biggest mountains I could find in central IL (in other words - little tiny hills). Someone suggested them to me and stupidly I tried them on a "big" hike as I was getting ready.

When I returned to my truck I could already tell I had done the wrong thing and by that night my left foot was screaming at me. I was really worried I had messed up my entire hunt.

So off to the podiatrist I went and started doing most everthing stated above - stretching, frozen water bottle, etc. For me it calmed down in time for me make it on my hunt and I did fine (and got a beautiful ram).

What I learned from that experience was:

- never introduce something new to my feet that close to a hunt/trip
- introduce new things to my feet in small doses, not big long pushes
- all the remedies stated above really do help

The green superfeet was just to rigid right at my arch - I need less support right there and more cushion.

I talked to the podiatrist about the enjection and he opted to not do that. He did give me a low dose course of oral steriods to take and melixicam (? spelling) - a perscription anti steriod. I never took the steriods because as I started the melixicam and did the stretching, etc it started to feel a lot better.

In summary - you can make it on your hunt and do great - good luck!

Last edited by elkrazy; 09/15/16. Reason: typo
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Elkrazy, thanks for the inspiration and good info!

Today I can walk almost normally. I am still protecting it a bit and get a twinge if I step "through" it normally but it's getting that kind of itchy inside healing feeling, and I don't think I have a visible limp going... or not much of one anyway.

I wore my stiff Asolo boots today, and that helps too. I have been very aggressively stretching and icing and ball-rolling (ouch) the sucker every evening. I've slacked a bit on the ibuprofen; it sucks the life right out of me in big doses, so I've been mostly taking it in the evenings and overnight.

There's hope!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decided once to wear some high end court shoes to work and lighten the wear on my regular boots (Whites). Within a week both feet were killing me. Went back to my boots and life was fine in two days. I think the court shoes where just short on arch support. I've lived in those boots since about 1983 when I chipped in for a custom pair, and currently have 5 pair. No charges for custom builds after the first pair. Never experienced a sprain, blister, or rolled an ankle since I started wearing those.

I had a now distant buddy who would consistently bring out his boots on opening day. Days 2 and 3 would find him in camp nursing blisters, and troops having to take care of his pack outs there after. The advice to not tickle what works as the critical time nears is quite sound.

If one finds something that works, get a lifetime supply.

Good luck up there. I'll be steel heading on opening day.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/16/16.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Redwing work boots with insoles are what I wear. Never sneakers. My daughter's hate them, but my feet don't hurt.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
Decided once to wear some high end court shoes to work and lighten the wear on my regular boots (Whites). Within a week both feet were killing me. Went back to my boots and life was fine in two days. I think the court shoes where just short on arch support. I've lived in those boots since about 1983 when I chipped in for a custom pair, and currently have 5 pair. No charges for custom builds after the first pair. Never experienced a sprain, blister, or rolled an ankle since I started wearing those.

I had a now distant buddy who would consistently bring out his boots on opening day. Days 2 and 3 would find him in camp nursing blisters, and troops having to take care of his pack outs there after. The advice to not tickle what works as the critical time nears is quite sound.

If one finds something that works, get a lifetime supply.

Good luck up there. I'll be steel heading on opening day.

True words.

I think I'll go in on Thursday. That way I can spend Friday with my foot in that icy spring on the side of the hill if need be before the season opens on Saturday.

The real problem is, of course, if I kill one. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just cruised the thread but I had a case of PF about 6 years ago and the green superfeet really helped. Most of my shoes have them now.

Best of luck on your healing and hunt.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bought green Superfeet today. Fingers crossed!

My foot isn't right but it's improving and I've got 10 days. I think there's hope. Did a hard ride today to keep the rest of the beast in good trim.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck, I have dealt with PF for years. Aleve, aleve, aleve. Then ice and roll a golf ball or tennis ball under your foot and stretch it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, sorry to hear of your foot problems. I'm not familiar so can't comment.

I can comment on boots that don't fit causing blisters, in the case of you run new boots. Leukotape P. Wrap your feet in the problem area with it. Solved my blister problems as I have never had a pair of boots really fit properly, and tried hard.

Good luck on your hunt.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine has improved alot lately, aleve as needed, often only 1 tab every few days if it wants to flare. Rolling a frozen bottle and a golf ball a few times a day and some stretching the calf muscles has helped alot....

No matter how minimal you feel it, keep stretching and rolling IME. Good luck Jeff, you will likely make it thru it, just be proactive along the way.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the thoughts. I've kinda plateau'd it seems and I'm currently trending pessimistic that this [bleep] will be a fully functional hoof in a week. Still stretching and icing and so on, but I've got a pretty good twinge going still if I step through the motion normally, and that's here on my flat property. It's not helping that I got a bunch of shop work in and am walking & standing on concrete a lot and will have to continue to do so to get it all done before I leave for the hunt. Concrete is the enemy of mobility IME. No surface for old men, haha....

There's a Plan B & C coming together...... even if I can't get to the spot I want to hunt, I might be willing/able physically commit to a shorter pack, and I do have a couple ideas there. One in particular is only about 2.5 miles in and gets me to the fringe of the good remote high country- that might work. Another thought is to go "full tortoise": leave a day earlier, and just go the speed it takes. Maybe break it into two days. The problem there is killing one and the urgency and time constraints around that. It's been a little stressful both other times I did this hunt after I got one down.

Failing that I have good glass and a really dialed long range rig and a 4wd truck with good tires and I can take the full 11 days if I need to. Car camping in all it's glory, me and the other slobs <grin>.... Actually sounds kind of relaxing. Plus the fishing there is spectacular. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ibuprofen is my friend. Do not be a tough guy and avoid "pain" medicine. You are taking it for the anti-inflammatory affect. 800 mg generic Naproxin, I think, prescribed by an MD will be cheaper than OTC.

Ibuprofen is NOT the same as Naproxin.

800 mg is daily reco max for ibuprofen. Naproxin is less.

FWIW.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, amazing how we all have similar tales here.

Mine troubled me for about three years, one year very badly!
It got so bad that at one point I was trying to help a friend find a good mountain goat with his lifetime tag and I was literally hopping down the road on one foot--for miles! Flippin' insanity. Absolutely brutal.

Stair stretches, ice roller, ibuprofen, plastic boot to bed every night, deep tissue message--here come the pain--it hurts like hell, quality orthotics with ALL SHOES you wear.
REST...repeat....

Good luck, you have my sympathies.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Because of the drought, they're saying the deer in so. Idaho are low for the time of year. You might find more low than high.

― George Orwell

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to know, thank you! I won't be that far from Idaho.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Leaving in 3 days. At this point I have to just concede that I'm not packing solo into there in 3 days. Foot still isn't close to 100% and just as bad I haven't been able to hike or walk for 3 weeks so my legs are soft and my balance is off, at least as far as backpacking off-trail in rugged country I mean.

You guys were right. This is a fairly big deal. [bleep]. "Who knew".

Still get a good twinge with every step, though I will say I've got some bounce back and I don't think I'm visibly limping anymore. So, lots of progress but this ain't a foot that can be trusted right now, clearly. smile

On the bright side I'm going hunting on a GOOD tag with a good rifle and glass into some gorgeous country and I'll still be able to get out and hunt it effectively, I think. I just can't get my ass into the really premium areas far from roads.

There's been a lot of great info offered up here and I'm very grateful.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My case took over a year to resolve. Stretching, custom orthotics in all footwear and no bare feet. It sucks big time. Be proactive and patient.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After reading this thread, I bought some Superfeet insoles.

Now I want a pair for every pair of boots and shoes I have!!

No more foot pain!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using supertest in my everyday and casual shoes for a while. I just put a pair of the SF Guide in my hunting boots. They feet great; test will be next Saturday.............

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm up hunting on this foot. Icing it and rolling it on a tennis ball every night around the campfire.... not better, not worse, certainly not good!

The Superfeet ROCK.

I've got 4 days left on the tag so I'm pushing the foot harder now. Basically sat on my butt the first 5-6 days of the hunt, watching.

The thing that is a little spooky is, you know how you end up walking on the outside of your foot? I've actually gotten pretty good at that, lol. But up in some rocks and snow yesterday I almost overbalanced to that side twice. A reminder that things ain't right and to be careful I guess.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Jeff O just wondering how the foot does when going up and down hills in the hills when hunting. Ive had problems since April. End of August I finally got the inserts and foot is doing way better now. I'm up to 40 miles of running and hiking a week now and can feel it but way better than before. The only thing is when i have to go up uneven hills i can feel it instantly. Even with the inserts in.
I'm hoping it just needs more time to heal.

Thanks and good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been fighting it since turkey season-- Stretching, tennis balls, frozen coke bottle and a pair of good feet inserts. It's better but not 100%. I'm giving it a real test next weekend---start of Colorado 1st elk rifle season. I'll be up there at 11500'. We shall see.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck Bob!

Noduck, hills aren't ideal but ironically the sage flats are the thing that sets it off the most. It's the uneven and uncertain footing I guess, partly because of the gopher (or whatever they are) tunnels doing mini-collapses underfoot. Up on the top of the mountain I'm mostly on rocks and dirt and it's more controllable.

It's pretty sore tonight. Rolling with it. Keeping my hunts in the 3/4 mile range. That could still set me up for a deer pack-out that was troublesome.

It's unlike any injury I've had-- I just don't know what to expect! You can't power through it. It won't just go away on its own. Can't walk it off- quite the opposite.

I haven't been taking ibuprofen up here, or Alieve either. I just can't function on anti-inflammatory-level doses of those for this type of activity.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mine has been good for the last 2-3 years. I got some inserts, used a night splint. But for me the most important thing is to stretch. A 30 second stretch by standing with your feet together and just bending over to try to touch your toes. That's all I need to maintain flexibility.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Got my deer packed out today! Went slow, used a walking stick, knee was popping a little from walking wrong with the load, but it's only about a 3/4 pack out so it was ok.

Good luck guys!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good work! Things may not have turned out exactly as you had planned, but at least you made the best of it and ended up with a memorable and successful hunt!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It was the opposite of a backpack hunt <grin> but what the hell, tomorrow is like day #13 out here in this incredible place! I'll take it!

It sure was a bit of a wake up call as far as showing me how dependant I am on mobility to hunt effectively.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
!
It sure was a bit of a wake up call as far as showing me how dependant I am on mobility to hunt effectively.

Did you really just say that on the backpack hunting forum?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Oops! So I did. Guess all y'all already had that inkling <g> .

Interesting little fasciitis factoid.... For 13 days I was pretty much either wearing my relatively stiff supportive Asolo's with the Superfeet in them or I was horizontal in my sleeping bag. Got home, walked barefoot in the house a bit, a damned if it didn't start getting that hot, burning type pain. I hadn't felt that in, well, over 13 days! It had been more just sore.

Clearly my collection of shoes and boots will be getting reworked and replaced with an eye towards maximum support and/or will get Superfeet.

For those who've come out the other side of this.... is walking barefoot just DONE? For life?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. You'll get over PF. The key to me is good shoes and insoles. I proved that to my self a couple years ago at the ocean. I jogged 3 miles one morning in my bare feet. Looks cool but offers zero support. It took me the rest of the week before I could walk normal. My feet just plain hurt in the entire arch from running in the soft sand. It was a good workout but wouldn't recommend it ever. Since then, I've routinely run 3-5 miles with proper running shoes without issue.

Same goes for walking barefoot. I do it alot but am cautious for how long/far. I also tend to wear good leather slippers if I'm going to be on my feet alot on the hardwood in the house of cement in the garage. Support is the name of the game but I do think it helps to go barefoot a bit. At least for me a combination of some barefoot and foot support seems to work. I did several 20+ mile day hikes this summer with an 18 lb pack in the Smokys. No foot issues at all.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife had a bout with PF last year. She kept it wrapped for a couple months and it healed completely. She spends most of her house time wearing soft soled slippers with no support.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had this bad in both feet a couple of years ago. My dad also had it and bought some orthopedics and he said they worked fantastic. He told me to find a "Goodfeet" store and get some. I did and my PF went away within a couple of weeks. They are not cheap but worth every penny.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Jeff,

It took me a good two years to get rid of it. Exercise, proper shoes etc. all help, but it just takes time. That area of the foot has very little blood circulation and heals slowly.
I kept very active and I don't know if that helped or hindered me.

Lefty C

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Lefty.

Got back from elk camp yesterday. Since I had my buddies there to help pack one out in the unlikely event that I killed one, I pushed the foot harder, probably averaged 4 miles a day with my day pack and rifle (which is way less than I'd normally be doing, but still). It got pretty damned sore a few times.

Now it's time to get this be-atch healed up! I'm going to re-read this whole thread for info. Can't thank you guys enough- great informative thread. The Campfire at its best. Thanks guys.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you see anything?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I had this problem fifteen years ago, did all the stretches, steroid shots, ice, wraps, orthotics etc. just kept getting worse. eventually developed spurs on my heels. shut me down for several years. The podiatrist did the surgury on both feet. they make about a 1 in incision on the inside on each heel, rasp the spurs, and release the ligaments. she didn't want too but I talked her into doing both feet at the same time. I had too use surgical boots, crutches, and painkillers for about a week. as far as i am concerned it was a miracle surgery. 100% cure. Now i make sure I wear quality shoes or boots, take out the insole and put my orthotics in. my orthotics are a rigid carbon fiber, that last fourever. No problems since. the lesson i learned is that somtimes its much better to address the problem sooner than later, rater than thinking you can push your way thru. life is too short

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yesterday for the first time I had stretches of time where I totally forgot about it and just WALKED with joy in my heart and spring in my step <g>. And it wasn't just because Hillary lost. So that's ~ 8 weeks from when it started. Stretched the living [bleep] out of it last night and aggressively rolled with a tennis ball (mmmm.... tennis ball... can't stop....) and it's a little sore today. But I think I've come out the other side of this thing.

Question: as I start walking/hiking again, wtf does one do if one finds oneself a mile or two from the truck, and it's starting to flare up? Cut a cane from a nearby tree? Because that's what got me: I felt it happening, but I was miles from home and pushed through it.

Anyway--- any preventative strategies in that scenario greatly appreciated!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff----My plantar fasciitis is also much better. It seems that wearing my elk hunting boots with the orthotic did the trick. I've not had any pain since elk season. I'm still doing the stretches everyday hoping to keep it at bay. FYI---My buddy killed a cow elk just below me on the ridge---the herd ran up past me. I knew he had shot & let them go. I had several bulls in my scope with the safety off. But 1 elk was enough work & I didn't press the trigger. Bob

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine got pretty sore again <grin>. Looks like she'll be a fickle mistress for a while....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had to take the boot off and find a rock to work out the kinks, might try it!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm addicted to the tennis ball <g>. I have to restrain myself... if I do it every night it seems to cause some bruising in the general area. Once I start I can't help it, I really go for it and grind on it pretty good. Hurts, but feels so good too... you know the feeling! In the early going I could HEAR stuff happening in there, and there was an area that was hard as a rock. Much better now.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm addicted to the tennis ball <g>.

Yup. Got a dog like that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a roller a Wal-Mart specifically for stretching out the foot. I keep it in the freezer and roll my feet over it 20 or so times every morning. It was cheap, works slightly better than a water bottle IMHO and saved a lot of agony.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Had Pf for about 1 1/2 years, did the cortisone shots, stretching, insoles everything the foot doc recommended, it always came back.then had a training class in work from a sports trainer, he said to use ice but keep the ice on until it was numb. Did that for three days, once a day and my foot has been great ever since. I used ice before but I wasn't leaving it on long enough.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm very aggressive with ice- so I was definitely fully numbing the whole area. That said I haven't been icing lately.

After I get back home after the holidays I'm gonna push this thing a bit and try to ramp things back up. In my case, at this point the foot is fairly normal feeling in terms of pushing normal walking levels of power through it... still not 100% but no big twinge anymore. No limp. However, it does get quite sore when standing on concrete and I'm guessing more aggressive hiking will be a bit sporty. smile

Plotting a big pack hunt in legendarily rugged country next fall, so I have a good carrot to chase.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.