Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Our old vacuum packager and sealer is giving up the ghost.

Looking for some recommendations for a really good vacuum packager.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A buddy uses this one and says there is no better. I found some redfish filets he gave me a couple of years ago (got pushed to the back of my freezer and forgotten). They looked, felt and tasted like the day day they came out of the water.

http://www.homebutcher.com/meat-packaging-vacuum/vacmaster-vp215

Good luck .. BP...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Recently I replaced my ancient Food Saver with a new one of the same brand. Bulletproof.

http://www.foodsaver.com/

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a Foodsaver too.

We process 6 deer a year, + other bulk purchased meats & as long as you don't fill the bags to much, it vacuums fine.

We buy the roll material & make bags of the appropriate size
to what we are packing.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If your budget will allow, the vac master is one of the best. We used it in a commercial kitchen on jerky and it was superb.

I own a foodsaver, its my 3rd one over the years. Seems to be fine at getting the job done. No frills and temperamental on moisture.

Also tried out the cabela's commercial one at my buddy's. It worked well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I finally plunked down for a chamber sealer from Costco last year,by once cry once.

[Linked Image]

If you're going to do a lot of vacuum bagging they are the way to go. The chamber packers are much faster, they don't overheat when doing large batches and the bags are much less expensive than foodsaver bags.

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have a Foodsaver for around 10 years. Used it for garden savings and deer processing, 1-2 deer per year. Have hunted pheasants in SD for 8 years and place we stayed had a commercial Cabelas. Both have kept food for over a year without freezer burn. Agree with an above post about buying foodsaver rolls instead of bags.

Lesson learned though was to seal the end of the roll before cutting to size or problems with getting the seal with an open end.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I finally plunked down for a chamber sealer from Costco last year,by once cry once.

[Linked Image]

If you're going to do a lot of vacuum bagging they are the way to go. The chamber packers are much faster, they don't overheat when doing large batches and the bags are much less expensive than foodsaver bags.

And MUCH higher quality bag. That around 1K Paul?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been through 2 FoodSavers over many years and they are both still rock solid.

Not seen the VACMASTER at Costco. Needless to say, if I had one would be in the house. Might be local to Alaska.

Have to look into these for sure!!

I love having 3 full freezers!!! grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My next one will be a chamber unit. Too much money spent on FoodSavers, bags are cheaper too and better quality. Like these guys have said, buy once cry once.

I have been looking at the Vacmaster 112 for a while now.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
A buddy uses this one and says there is no better. I found some redfish filets he gave me a couple of years ago (got pushed to the back of my freezer and forgotten). They looked, felt and tasted like the day day they came out of the water.

Good luck .. BP...

Bookmarked, that is a smoking price on those

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a very good price. Better than 50% off list.

Paul, how much was the one from Costco?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
That is a very good price. Better than 50% off list.

Paul, how much was the one from Costco?

Either $1000 or it may have been on sale for $900. I don't know that all Costcos carry them, there are definately some items in the Alaska Costcos that they don't carry in the lower 48 ones. For me the plus of Costco is they are awesome with returns if something craps out even a few years down they road it's 100% money back no questions asked.

For $670 I'd jump on that without hesitation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good luck .. BP...

Thanks for the heads's up on this.

I just ordered one and look forward to trying it out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Good luck .. BP...

Please give us periodic updates on how you like it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been using a cabelas branded sealer. Middle of the road model ~$180. Works good for the garden and game. Only draw back is the food had to be relatively dry.

For those that use food savers. I get USA made bags off eBay for pretty cheap compared to store China bags.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dropped the hammer and ordered a 215. Thanks for the link!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would eventually like to get a chamber model, but this spring while in Cabelas I picked up a CG-15 from the bargain cave at a screaming deal. This is the older model made by Weston that is the same as Pro-3000, and very similar to the Pro-2300. I went with this due to the fact that it is fully serviceable and every single part is available online. The newer Cabelas sealers can't be fully serviced, and don't seem to have the same proven track record.

I burned up two foodsavers over the years, and admittedly they held up to a lot of abuse with one of them still working (though not as well as it used to) after 10+ years. My buddy bought a newer "heavy duty" foodsaver a couple years ago, and I don't think it works as well as my older one. The new Cabelas sealer works better than either of the foodsaver units ever did, and much better than my buddy's.

My next sealer will be a chamber model for sure, but this Cabelas is a beast that I imagine my son will be using once I'm gone. I like the fact it is 15" wide so I can do very large things (ie - elk roasts) without any issue. There aren't too many of these cabelas units around at the stores anymore, but a few of them are on ebay. The Weston 2300/3000 are still available though from various places.

The vacmaster pro 380 is supposed to be really nice as well.
http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/VacMaster-Pro-380-876380.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Good luck .. BP...

Please give us periodic updates on how you like it.

So I've had the VacMaster 215 for a few weeks now and have butchered an elk and a mule deer.

I am loving this unit!

It kicks ass and I'm pretty impressed with the bags you can buy from Vacmaster as well.

This is one sucking mofo and it seals great.

I would recommend it for sure if you're looking for a good vac unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (222ND, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.