Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A group of seven of us scheduled a fly out Caribou hunt with Arrowhead outfitters on August 26. Near mile marker 366, after a 20 hour drive, we arrive at their base camp. Their two Maule's are in a lake just a short drive north. Three of us in Grant's truck, Grant who lives in Anchorage, Bob from California and me. Since we get there on the 24th before the other 4, we set up our tent and get a good nights sleep. Next day, Grant who has his bow can hunt the road. The rest of the gang shows up and they soon have 3 cows and one small bull on the ground. These guys are all residents so they have multiple tags. Bob and I just brought our guns this year so we are assigned pack mules, ha. After some contortions about the meat to be left when we go out on the flyout, we get to bed late Thursday night.

Friday we (3) fly out to Heart lake and the other 4 are about 10 miles from us. We get camp set up in bluebird weather. We see a few cows right from camp, which is all tundra but a few rolling hills. The group that was there before we were had shot a couple cows right from camp and the carcasses were a couple hundred yards from camp. Grant has a grizz tag, I have a wolverine and wolf tag. Wolverine season wasn't until Sept 1 so I know the chances are slim.

Saturday morning is nice and warm too. We hike in different directions and see quite a few cows and calves. No bulls and really too hot to have meat on the ground. The group before us had ziplocked their meat and submerged it in the lake. Sunday was a little cooler but more cows and calves. Rain and fog started so we were hopeful a weather change would help.

Monday morning rain and fog so we got a late start. Nothing from three different ridges. We met back at camp and were having a discussion about calling for a move. Grant looks across the lake and spots some caribou. I have my binos on my neck and look, one cow and her calf. Grant looks again and said what about that bull? I look and sure enough, a pretty nice bull is in tow. Bob and Grant jump up and head out, which entails going about half way around this lake, which is about one mile by 1/2 mile. I strap my gun back on my pack and head after them. I glass the caribou and they are heading West, which means we have to go around the east end of the lake and then try to catch them from behind. I see this and holler at the guys that I am going to head back and try to head them off from this side. I am running about parallel with them and then I hear shots. Bob and Grant get within 450 yards and can't get any closer. The wind is strong and affects their shooting. After 7 shots out to 600 yards they quit. I am still humping after seeing the caribou all moving yet. Can't move real fast in that wet tundra but I finally get to the west end of the lake and the caribou are getting closer, as we are both gaining a little elevation away from the lake. Finally I am close enough and the caribou are picking up speed as they have seen me. I strip off my pack, unsnap my rifle and prop up the pack for a rest.

I am carrying my rifle with the chamber empty so I have 3 in the magazine. Rack one in and try to steady the crosshairs. Breathing too heavy and miss the first shot. Caribou still moving, cow in the way. Second shot same as the first. Now only one more in the mag, the rest in my pack. I double check the wind and I am mainly shooting downwind. Rack the third one in and really concentrate on steadying the crosshairs and touch her off. Down he goes!!! Flops once and that is it, whoooee. I scramble for more ammo and stuff two in. Watch for any movement, nothing. Check the distance at 288 yards. I am zeroed at 300 with the Remington 300 WM. Handloaded 180gr Nosler Partitions. Stock XCR II except for the newly bedded stock.

Slowly made my way to the bull and no more movement. He is in velvet but when he falls the velvet starts to peel. I stripped it off easily after we get him dressed out. We eventually get him back to camp, the three of us making it in one hard trip across that wet tundra!!

He is a nice bull, nothing large but was the only bull shot out of the seven of us. The other camp took 3 cows but saw no bulls. They all figured the migration was late this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job! Caribou is on my short list.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That bull sure is not anything to be too modest about. It's a good one.

I've killed in excess of 60 - calves , cows and bulls. They all eat real good. (Rutty stink bulls excepted). Especially the calves.

You done good and earned it to get that one!

Me - unless I find a stray local 'bou wandering about , I'll just kill a couple of those mandated "save the herd" pregnant cows when the migration comes thru in November.

Last edited by las; 09/09/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice Job!

I have 8 groups going out this week and next into the Eastern Brooks Range with Bushwacker Air. This is out first year working out there after 17 years working in unit 23. Fingers are crossed for these guys. I am always nervous for my groups when we expand into a new area. Whats nice is Unit 26 allows 2 bulls and an over the counter moose-50+ or 4 brow tines.

Did you see any moose?

Walt

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Walt we did see a moose off the road, first one we have seen that far north. We were south of the Arrowhead base, I would estimate mile marker 350. He was a real nice one with at least 4 brow tines. I estimated him at 55"s and heavy. We cow called and at 650 yards he started towards the road but we did want to bring him too close so we vamoosed!!

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Nice Job!

I have 8 groups going out this week and next into the Eastern Brooks Range with Bushwacker Air. This is out first year working out there after 17 years working in unit 23. Fingers are crossed for these guys. I am always nervous for my groups when we expand into a new area. Whats nice is Unit 26 allows 2 bulls and an over the counter moose-50+ or 4 brow tines.

Did you see any moose?

Walt

You sure about the moose part?? Their is no moose season in unit 26C or 26B.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Awesome! Congrats! Id love to go on a caribou hunt one day!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Nice Job!

Did you see any moose?

Walt

You sure about the moose part?? Their is no moose season in unit 26C or 26B.

Walt must have meant the other Eastern Brooks Range...

No nonresident moose hunt anywhere in 26, and only residents in the western subunit...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/a...6A7E6E94A8410511D806AE91A5908F/gmu26.pdf

it's a four page spread or I would copy the reg page here...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I hope his clients read the regs and didn't take him for his word

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

Funny, he is usually all over these threads...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 79S

Funny, he is usually all over these threads...

I know usually he comes running back calling everyone a dumbass and saying we don't know anything about hunting in Alaska.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts are hard on poor Walt... that's why he likes his idiot Lib arguments... the feelings of his lib fantasies are not the brick walls of facts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.