Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use precision bushings when chambering short barrels in my lathe. I have quite a few but still have to make new ones all the time.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Butch,
No problem, I am not that thin shinned....lol
I use that name because of all the skeet, sporting clay, and trap I shoot.

The reason I posted what I did is here is his description:

Hole throught spindle=1 13/32 ID
Headstock center taper=#2 Morse

I agree, most headstocks have a #5 MT in them, but that is what he posted so I had to ask

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pullit
Butch,
No problem, I am not that thin shinned....lol
I use that name because of all the skeet, sporting clay, and trap I shoot.

The reason I posted what I did is here is his description:

Hole throught spindle=1 13/32 ID
Headstock center taper=#2 Morse

I agree, most headstocks have a #5 MT in them, but that is what he posted so I had to ask

I understand. Just ribbing you a little. I was visiting with a friend, Britt Robinson, a couple days ago and we chuckled over it a bit. Britt said he had used that word about a million times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I use precision bushings when chambering short barrels in my lathe. I have quite a few but still have to make new ones all the time.

Hey, Dennis,.....IIRC, you are getting dead nuts results, working through the spindle, per above on your Monarch, Eh ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pullit
Something I saw in the description does not seem right. He says the thru hole in the head stock is 1 13/32" but has a #2 Morse taper. The large end of a #2 is only .700 of an inch. That seems like a small taper for the head stock. Most lathes have a #5.
I will be the first to say I have run a lot of different lathes in my life, but have never had a chance to run a 10EE.

One last note, I am looking for a lathe myself and found one in CA that I am thinking about. I was quoted $550 to truck it all the way to TN. You might shop around a little on freight.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

10EE's take 5C collets, so definately not a 2mt in the headstock. The headstock is a No.12 Jarno, the tailstock is a 2mt. Monarchs seem overbuilt compared to many similar sized lathes.

Shipping can be a killer, but if your budget shipper damages your lathe in transport it won't be such a bargain.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've received fair pricing from Freight Pros on stuff like diesel engines and lighter shop machines, as long as I picked it up at the depot. My own lathe and mill were fairly local purchases for which I hired a professional machinery mover with the right equipment.

For extreme precision, a tool-room lathe like this (the OP's 10EE), or a Hardinge chucker, would seem a very desirable addition to your "big" lathe.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pal; 09/21/16.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pray tell, what are we looking at in the photo?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're looking at my ancient Index Super55 vertical mill and 12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe being delivered by a professional machinery rigger. Paid $2k for the pair with quite a lot of lathe tooling included, but very little mill tooling. The ~16-mile move cost ~$600 IIRC but was a fascinating experience to watch.

Edit to add that by "tool-room lathe like this", in my first post, I was referring to the 10EE, not my Logan. I'll correct that post to clear this up.

Last edited by pal; 09/21/16.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not "if" you will have to service that variable speed drive on that Logan,....it's gonna' be when, particularly if it's been sitting for years..

Tread lightly, and be sure to double up your pullers and "restraint" devices before unwinding the counter opposed springs.

Edited to add, there ain't a thing in the world wrong with that old mill, either, a actually envy the thing.

Luck,

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 09/21/16.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Logan lathe if well tooled wasn't a bad buy, the Index mill on the other had is about as club footed a vertical mill as ever was made. Not even in the same class as a Bridgeport and awkward at best to use.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many years since your keel was laid, anyway,
....oh Wisest of the wise ?

GTC

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
...there ain't a thing in the world wrong with that old mill, either, a actually envy the thing.

Luck,

GTC

Thanks. It is contraption. But is my first mill, so I don't know the difference. I'll attach photos of my very first part I made on it, this past year--an end fitting for a 4" sailboat boom, to my own design. I made everything but the (2) off the shelf plastic sheaves. To prevent the stainless axle from turning, its cap sits in a milled recess and is press fitted onto the axle, then tig welded. A machine screw retains it.

Heard a story about a machinist dying and being revived. He said he kept following a blinding light down this unbelievably long white corridor. When he finally got to the end he saw God running his Index mill. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The Logan lathe if well tooled wasn't a bad buy, the Index mill on the other had is about as club footed a vertical mill as ever was made. Not even in the same class as a Bridgeport and awkward at best to use.

I have a couple Bridgeports, but I will not throw rocks at an Index.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.