Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
So then, should a guy who is not a dedicated long range hunter and has the ability, but would take a long range shot, have two loads for his hot rod magnum?

Yes, that's exactly what I do. I carry a mag full of TTSX bullets for close encounters, where time is of the essence and shot angles may not be ideal, and a few LR loads using an AM or Berger that I can slip in the chamber in a more relaxed, LR spot-and-stalk scenario. It's worked flawlessly for many years for me.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I do what Jordan does these days and its worked like a charm...

Its easy. And you are going to be spinning anyway, no biggie.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not exactly a long range kind of guy, as 500 yards is long range for me, but I do this too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, boys. It looks like I will try that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The absolute last thing you need is another load to develop...... If you finally get one figured out, stick with it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ryanjay11

The absolute last thing you need is another load to develop...... If you finally get one figured out, stick with it.

You have no idea what I need.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Then that makes two of us. Your knowledge of reloading of long range shooting and reloading isn't expanding, despite your obvious interest in the subjects. Why don't you do some actual reading and learn about it, so you don't look like a fool constantly?

If you really think the answer to your dilemma is to work up two different loads with different drop charts to remember, when it's clear you can't even decide which powder or bullets to try next, then I guess you should go for it. Over and over, you make things more complicated than they should be, because you refuse to do any actual research on your own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ryanjay11,

Why don't you do some actual reading and learn about it, so you don't look like a fool constantly?

When I was young I did lots of reading about cars. But when it came time to actually work on them it took on the job time to get things right.

because you refuse to do any actual research on your own.

You need to proof read your post. You contradicted yourself.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ryanjay11,

Why don't you do some actual reading and learn about it, so you don't look like a fool constantly?

When I was young I did lots of reading about cars. But when it came time to actually work on them it took on the job time to get things right.

because you refuse to do any actual research on your own.

You need to proof read your post. You contradicted yourself.

No contradiction. It may seem that way to you, because your idea of research is asking random folks on the internet questions. When it comes time to actually read up on a subject so you might understand it, you would rather get on a forum and ask for the cliff notes version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No need to work up the TTSX load with the utmost LR scrutiny. Don't care about ES/SD, since it's a sub-400 load. Simply pick a powder charge, seat the TTSX at 0.050" off the lands, and go. Zero scope for the LR bullet, and as as long as the TTSX hits close to POA at 100, it'll do the trick out to at least 300-400.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
No need to work up the TTSX load with the utmost LR scrutiny. Don't care about ES/SD, since it's a sub-400 load. Simply pick a powder charge, seat the TTSX at 0.050" off the lands, and go. Zero scope for the LR bullet, and as as long as the TTSX hits close to POA at 100, it'll do the trick out to at least 300-400.

Sounds like good advise.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nope, but still pretty impressive.

Here's a hog hit with a 120 gr. E-Tip. Tore quite a hole.

DRT, of course.

DF

[Linked Image]

That's for damn certain! Knocked the hide right off 'em!! grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Find ONE LOAD...that'll work at all ranges and stick with it!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Find ONE LOAD...that'll work at all ranges and stick with it!

So, we have two schools of thought.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tcp
Although not "long range" by the standards of many here, can anyone relate first hand experience with Barnes TTSX bullets on game at ranges beyond 400 yards?

I am specifically considering the 30 cal 150 grain TTSX as an all around bullet for my a 30 '06. Muzzle velocity is about 2860fps, accuracy is good, but, I do not want to question whether the bullet will expand adequately at ranges between 400-500 yards.

Thank you

They'll be fine, but frankly you need to step on the gas a lot more. I'm firing 168 TTSXs at a it faster than that from the '06.

Oh, and disregard ANYTHING said by Ringman. Ever. Ditto Savage_99. Ever.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With that short bearing surface I'd be ticked if I couldn't tease 3100 fps with 150 TTSX's from my 22" '06. I can with 150 NBT's.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Shot thru a steel plate with a 300 win mag recently at 382 yds with a 150
Ttsx I like them a lot

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

I agree with him, with the troubles you have....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My experience was with 168 ttsx's out of a 300 weatherby. No idea as to the velocity as i did not have a chrono when I was 15, but they would ring a 10 inch plate consistently at 600. Wanted to shoot one long, because why not. Whitetail does came out at 150 yards, and I let them go out to just under 500 before I plugged one. She ran about 70 yards before she stumbled over and died. Entry wound was maybe 1/2 inch and exit was 2" or so, so I would say there was decent expansion. But again, I do not know velocities of that load. I liked them though. Also it was a behind the shoulder shot, and i am sure it would have been more devastating with a shoulder shot.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another pair of caribou fell to the 168 TTSX out of my 300 Rum. Shot my bull at 323 yards high shoulder shot, dropped at the shot.

[Linked Image]

Batted cleanup on this bull. It was hit in the rear end and limping away at 657 yards entered back of rib cage and exited high on far shoulder. This bullet never fails to impress.

[Linked Image]

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.