Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Yep, sounds promising. Let us know how it works out.

Exactly. I'd like to know too. Hopefully they treat him right..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Theyre good looking trucks. I saw a new one with the Cummins in it last week. They're huge!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So why don't they make a 3/4 ton? They brag about payload but they don't build one with it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't think they want to compete in the 3/4 ton market. I agree it's kind of strange they are trying to start a new segment (essentially a heavy-half ton). Payload is in the 2k lb+ range which is beyond what most half tons are currently rated for, especially with a crew cab.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did the get you fixed up?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep. They even came and got it and gave me an Altima for two days.

I checked the milage, city driving most of it. 12 mpg, eh. Now that was with some of it with a bad catalytic converter. I will be putting a K&N air filter in soon. Hopefully that will help.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Mine is a 2007 with over 100k on it. Mine is 4wd, extra cab and it has the towing package. I knocked the resonators out of mine and later on I knocked the cats out. The manifolds are bad to crack and most guys replace them with headers, gas mileage will plummet if they crack.

I had an uprev tune ran on my truck. I get 17-18mpg on the interstate as long as I'm not heavy on the skinny peddle and I get 13-14.5mpg in town.

Everyone else I know gets 27mpg with the (fill in the blank) but my family has owned full sized trucks for 30yrs and they have all been around 13-15mpg in town if calculated off the odometer and not using the on board MPG deal. A friend had a diesel that showed he was getting 22mpg when he calculated it by hand it came up to 13.7mpg.

I have an 05 or 06 crew cab Titan. I like a lot of things about it. Gas mileage not being one of those.

My truck has around 145k. Drives and handles well. I drive a lot and it's fairly comfortable for long runs.

I am guessing I get around 12-13 mpg. When I used it to pull a camper trailer a few weeks ago, it was around 9 mpg.

90% of the time I am running with some gear in the bed. Wondering what tuning you used and it that was the result of the increase in mpg or was it opening up the exhaust?

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

When I knocked the cats out the CEL was on and it ran funny, I went to www.titantalk.com and found this tune was very popular going through a dealer on the forum for my 2007: http://uprev.com/secure/store/management/osiris-standard

I also did this air box mod around the same time: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/15837-diy-air-box-mod.html

The result of the tune was the 0-30 detune was removed, CEL is off, fuel mileage was back up where it should have been and it runs likes a raped ape.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by viking
Yep. They even came and got it and gave me an Altima for two days.

I checked the milage, city driving most of it. 12 mpg, eh. Now that was with some of it with a bad catalytic converter. I will be putting a K&N air filter in soon. Hopefully that will help.

It won't. They are a complete waste of money. My Tundra came with one and it now sits in a box. I prefer swapping out a Wix's and being done with it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's an interesting comparison of air filters. K&N did very poorly.
FILTER TEST
In each of their tests, AC Delco came out on top.

Here's a chart from the report showing the amount of dirt that got through each filter. Higher is worse.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

When I knocked the cats out the CEL was on and it ran funny, I went to www.titantalk.com and found this tune was very popular going through a dealer on the forum for my 2007: http://uprev.com/secure/store/management/osiris-standard

I also did this air box mod around the same time: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/15837-diy-air-box-mod.html

The result of the tune was the 0-30 detune was removed, CEL is off, fuel mileage was back up where it should have been and it runs likes a raped ape.

$500. No thanks. Not worth it. Thanks though.

Montana MOFO
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
+1 on keeping your paper filter. Any horsepower gains are placebo effect and advertising blather.

Dusting your engine is NOT what you want to do. You may not see the effects right away but dirt is getting through with K&N etc.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
So I got a couple of other questions for those of you that have the knowledge.

What causes the Cats to fail, and secondly what's the benifets of headers. If a guy puts headers on will the vehicle pass emissions.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

The cats will clog and create mucho heato and the manifolds will crack. Headers will run cooler, increase power, not clog or crack.

I can't answer the emissions question.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been out of the car biz for a long time but I'll tell you my understanding of things.

Catalytic converters fail when too much fuel, oil, antifreeze and junk get sent into them over a period of time. If the engine runs clean with a correct mixture and no crap in the exhaust the converter should last a real long time.

Headers in theory will help with exhaust flow and efficiency. Race cars use them but they're running a lot more rpm, horsepower etc. I'm not a big fan of headers on a street vehicle. In the old days header leaks, cracking and poor fit were common. I just don't see the benefit matching the hassle.

If you can put headers on and keep all emissions stuff functioning it should be legal.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking
what's the benefits of headers? If a guy puts headers on will the vehicle pass emissions?

Headers increase power through exhaust "scavenging". That is the exhaust flow from one cylinder "sucks" the exhaust out from another cylinder due the bernoulli effect(increased velocity reduces pressure). They are prone to all the problems listed; cracks, leaks, etc.

Yes, providing the headers are not leaking they will have no effect on emissions.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.