Print Thread
Hop To
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
These are the two different shooting sessions, COAL is set at mag length out of a Tikka T3 SL. H4350. Thinking I should start seating bullets deeper and see what happens. Should I try with-in the powder charges??? Adjusted scope for second target.
But both aiming points were center of diamonds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Clos

NRA Life Member

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by clos
These are the two different shooting sessions, COAL is set at mag length out of a Tikka T3 SL. H4350. Thinking I should start seating bullets deeper and see what happens. Should I try with-in the powder charges???

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What cartridge? I'm assuming 30-06? I'd try IMR4831 instead. Went through the same thing with my rifles. They seemed to prefer that powder with that bullet. Your target pics are small, hard to see, although it looks like you have some 3 2 groupings there, which suggests the bullets need to be seated deeper..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
pics enlarged.

Last edited by clos; 09/11/16.

Clos

NRA Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Interesting. 55.9 gr. and 56.2 charge weights veddy interesting... Keep plugging away, you might get it.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My old Win 670 in 30-06 liked the Hornady 190 with IMR 4831.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This is 56.8 gr loading may drop it down a grain. Will mess with seating depth.

[Linked Image]

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to figure what your concern is. (I'm assuming these aren't prairie dog, or even antelope loads for sniping at 450 yards.) Perhaps you're concerned about the way the groups moved on the target? That could either be a light issue, or a mechanical problem which changed between the first and second session. I'd probably just adjust left and up and inch in both directions, shoot 3-4 more groups, and call it good. If you can't kill your moose or elk with that combo, the fault isn't with what, but rather how or where.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Hard to figure what your concern is. (I'm assuming these aren't prairie dog, or even antelope loads for sniping at 450 yards.) Perhaps you're concerned about the way the groups moved on the target? That could either be a light issue, or a mechanical problem which changed between the first and second session. I'd probably just adjust left and up and inch in both directions, shoot 3-4 more groups, and call it good. If you can't kill your moose or elk with that combo, the fault isn't with what, but rather how or where.

I hear ya! Just always wanting that 1 ragged hole grouping I guess.

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well then, unless you have a large supply of those bullets (which aren't in production anymore I hear), I think I'd drop back to 165 or 150 grainers for seeking itty-bitty groups (and less abuse on your shoulder). It your rifle is capable, it'll probably show it more readily at the mid weights. BTW, I really like that 190 Interlock and use it on my first moose as well as a more recent one. They're good bullets, but with so many good and suitable bullets on the market, they apparently didn't make the cut in Grand Island.

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well then, unless you have a large supply of those bullets (which aren't in production anymore I hear), I think I'd drop back to 165 or 150 grainers for seeking itty-bitty groups (and less abuse on your shoulder). It your rifle is capable, it'll probably show it more readily at the mid weights. BTW, I really like that 190 Interlock and use it on my first moose as well as a more recent one. They're good bullets, but with so many good and suitable bullets on the market, they apparently didn't make the cut in Grand Island.

I have about 370 of them left, been in my safe for the last 4 yrs. I will shoot these up, then switch to 180 or 165's. I need to start using instead of hording at the moment.

Clos

NRA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to start using instead of hording at the moment.

Good advice, as long as we can still get powder and primers. laugh

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I need to start using instead of hording at the moment.

Good advice, as long as we can still get powder and primers. laugh

think I will keep buying those two items LOL>

Clos

NRA Life Member

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Those 190 HBTSPs work really well in the. 300 WM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Suppose I had the same question - what's wrong with the group? You did well. Was it too slow for you? My 2 cents - if you want tighter groups with that powder, maybe go down to the 165gr bullet. If you want to stick with the 190 and perhaps get more velocity, go to a slower powder.

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This is my final load testing
Mag length than .005 and then .010 deeper
Mag length wins
56.8grs H4350, win brass, fed LR primers.

[Linked Image]

Clos

NRA Life Member

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nice. I have 200 of the Hornady 190 BTSPs, but have yet to shoot any of them. Should be good in either my .30-06 or .300 WSM. Too bad Hornady discontinued them.

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw

Suppose I had the same question - what's wrong with the group? You did well. Was it too slow for you? My 2 cents - if you want tighter groups with that powder, maybe go down to the 165gr bullet. If you want to stick with the 190 and perhaps get more velocity, go to a slower powder.

Speed was never the issue it was just the group size that I was after

Clos

NRA Life Member

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This is a 10 shot group out of the Tikka T3 SL in 30-06
Hornady 190gr H4350 56.8grs. Sadly this bullet is discontinued.

[Linked Image]

Clos

NRA Life Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They used to be a favorite bullet of mine in a .300 Mag. Sendero but I found them finicky in the few 06's I tried them in. I suspect the bullet's long tapered heel to be the main issue rather than load development/seating depth. The barrel crown must really be pretty good with these bullets in my estimation.

I sold off my remaining stock before they were discontinued. If I was heavily invested in them and couldn't get them to shoot to my satisfaction in a known value rifle, I would seriously entertain a re-crown job prior to more load testing.

A couple of your groups show potential but I trust five shots or greater to give a better picture of what you have. Also, don't be surprised if 200 yard groups with this bullet look about the same as 100 yard results.

Last edited by Captain; 10/01/16.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
614 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.