-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does missing the "good old days" mean you are getting older ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458Win
Does missing the "good old days" mean you are getting older ?
If you're as old as I am, it means that at least you have some memory left! grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

The other side-effect of the Internet is that when somebody mentions an interesting magazine article here, somebody else often responds with, "Got a link?"

LMAO! True.

Books are better. They still work if the batteries run low.

I think Phil Shoemaker is right.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob,

The other side-effect of the Internet is that when somebody mentions an interesting magazine article here, somebody else often responds with, "Got a link?"

I hate links. The worst aspect is opening a thread thinking it might be of interest and finding nothing there but a damned link.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
When I started writing for magazines in the mid-1970's, the normal length of feature articles was at least 2500 words, often 3000-3500, and occasionally even longer. I didn't start writing for gun magazines until the late 1980's, and length ranged about the same, depending on the magazine.

Around 2000 this started changing, because of the Internet and cable television. Contrary to what some people believe, magazine publishing is still quite viable, but the "communications market" has become more diversified. Most magazines also have some sort of Internet version, along with other Internet content, and many also use TV. Consequently the advertising revenue is split, and since ad revenue pays for printing, magazines that used to run 120-180 pages are often 100 or even less. This doesn't mean they're dying, but just one part of a bigger market, instead of THE market, as they pretty much were before 2000.

Of the half-dozen or so print magazines I write for, only two run 2500 word features anymore. The rest cap them at 2000-2200 words, though occasionally somebody asks for as little as 1500--which was standard "column" length when I started out. These days that's a long column; most run 800-1200 words.

One of the odd contradictions in all this is that Internet article lengths are often much shorter than in print magazines, when in theory they can be longer without adding the substantial extra cost of printing more paper pages. But apparently the Internet and cable have shortened the average American's attention span. We're used to getting information not just in shorter "articles" but in paragraphs or even sentences.

What two magazines still run the 2500 word features? I hate the short cut up writings of today.

I still read your stuff from the 1990's and to compare it to what's being printed today is a shame. It seems today's stuff is pieced together in any order that fits. (Not just your writing but all outdoor articles)

Dink

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The two magazines that still run 2500 words are SPORTS AFIELD and AMERICAN RIFLEMAN. SA will actually run them a little longer on occasion. In fact it's one of the few magazines that publishes actual hunting stories anymore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You really have to love the magazines that are full of one page stories, with the hero photo, of "how I got my trophy". People write them for free just to brag, and to be "famous".

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/12/16.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing that bugs me about the shorter articles is that you feel like you’re just getting into the meat of it and then they

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The thing that bugs me about the shorter articles is that you feel like you’re just getting into the meat of it and then they

That's very

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WHAT, WHAT??

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried to scroll down to see the

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

That's very

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
WHAT, WHAT??

Continued on

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really liked reading the longer, more detailed articles of the past. But times are always changing and we can get lots of information on the internet that didn't used to be available so I'm not complaining.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I struggle to enjoy writing the shorter pieces as much.

One explanation I got was the shorter attention span of modern readers. But I am not entirely convinced that someone spends $9.00 for a magazine and then gets annoyed because the articles are too comprehensive.
The other was that modern education standards are lower and I have been encouraged to write down to readers, and again, making things shorter.
I don't agree with that - people that don't like reading don't spend money on magazines.

What I see are magazines laying out their five paragraph stories interspersed with ads and ending up with lots of attention-grabbing titles and cluttered pages, evidently trying to out internet the internet, essentially competing with the net to meet its greatest fault - lack of real subject matter and thin treatment.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What we really need here (BUY LEUPOLD!!!) on this particular Internet (BARNES TTSX GREATEST BULLET EVER@#%!) site is more ads mixed (WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET?) in with the posts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wow, well into the second page and Savage 99 hasn't shown up to tell us print is dead and how much better the internet is?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is little or no interest in magazine articles.

Nobody gets the 'paper' anymore. No paperboy. The local newspaper building is closed and for sale.

Almost everyone reads and even writes on electronic media like this internet or other personal electronics.

We can afford any books, magazines or paper we want and we get none. The only magazines that come are from the NRA life memberships.

Here on the net I can write about what I want and even ask questions. Never did that with the old 'paper'.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One thing about Dumb Don, he'll never let you down!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
OTOH you can dismiss 75% of what you read on the Internet and never miss a beat.

Originally Posted by Savage_99

Here on the net I can write about what I want and even ask questions. Never did that with the old 'paper'.

Classic.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What we really need here (BUY LEUPOLD!!!) on this particular Internet (BARNES TTSX GREATEST BULLET EVER@#%!) site is more ads mixed (WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET?) in with the posts.

grin grin

youbettcha!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 47 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,721
Posts18,457,249
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.