Print Thread
Hop To
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not a bad flick, sort of an OK, not-bad, whatever, wait-for-TV, kinda movie.

Probably because it was NOT as advertised!

During the lead up to Opening Day, there was NO mention or hint of the Southern-Black-Slave-......Experience!?!?!?

Out of 5, for me ***+

You may see it differently however.

Last edited by muffin; 06/25/16.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found it interesting because it highlighted a little known part of the civil war history.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My family is from Jones County which is called The Free State of Jones. I lived there for a long time. There are to this very day still active family rivalery that comes out of that whole time. I know all the Knight family.

What many people do not know is that Newt Knight and his men fought BOTH the Union and The Confederates and both armies chased, caught, and hung members of his band. Newt and his men did not want to participate in the war on either side. They said they were poor Scottish red dirt farmers and they had no reason to fight anybody about anything. But they ended up fighting everybody and attacking both the Yankees and the Confederates when they came into The Free State.

I hunted along Leaf River in the exact spots Newt Knight and his men used for hide outs. Newt and many of his band continued to wage war against the yankee carpet baggers that decended on the south like a swarm of locust after the war. They called it Reconstruction. It was actually 12 years of rape and robbery. There are many stories still told by people removed from that time by only one generation. I personally talked to Tom Knight who was one of Newt's sons when Tom was 90 years old. He was blind, but his mind was as sharp as ever and he remembered everything.

If any of you are really interested, you can get Ethel Knight's book The Echo of the Black Horn on Amazon. She tells the story like it really happened. I have bought several rifles and shotguns over the years from The Free State Sporting Goods store in Laurel. And that war continues to this day because the truth about it has never been told to the American public and it never will be because if it were to be told, people would realize that many of the laws used today are illegal because the 14 th and 15 th admentments to the Constitution were NEVER legally ratified by all the state legislatures which is required by the Constitution.

It's all water under the bridge now, but the America as our founders envisioned it died the day Lee surrendered and the all powerful Imperial Federal Government we have now was born. THAT is what the war was about. It was about power and control. It was not about slavery. Slavery was the excuse and it only came up after the war had been going on for three years in order to justify the carnage caused by the way. The victors always get to write the history and most of what you have been taught about that war is wrong.

Last edited by BobWills; 07/24/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob,
Good insight from you here.

I'm also from nearby Covington county and I've lived and worked in Jones county at times for years at a stretch. My good friend Pine Purvis and many of his friends played parts in the movie, much of which was filmed in Louisiana.

The book by Ethel Knight was always considered the gospel on the subject by some, but many others expressed the opinion that nobody living today really knows for sure what the heck happened back then.

With the recent research into this dark subject that the movie has caused, that opinion has somewhat widened in the community back home, especially among my many friends who are lifelong Free State residents.

One thing is certain, that life was a far cry from the one we live today, no matter how rough it may sometimes seem.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Apparently the 'Free State of Jones' was a remake of the original 'Tap Roots' from 1949.
That full movie is available on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9GaKhva7JQ

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (338reddog, 35, 44mc, 2UP, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.