Print Thread
Hop To
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
In my apartment complex it is common to find things of value in the dumpsters, found an old and in rough condition KA-BAR knife with sheath yesterday.

It is partially blued in finish, I had to cold blue areas where it was ground to make it look nicer, the leather handle is totally loose, the frame of the knife is still welded to the end from the blade though, seems to be missing one of the steel handle spacers. The sheath is very old looking and has a loosening of the threads near the tip, rivet is gone too.

It says "KA-BAR" on one side of the blade near the hilt, and "USN" on the other side of the blade. Is it worth trying to restore it or should I just leave it alone? Sorry, no photos as of yet. I know that the US marines carried these in the island fighting, and that the Army may have used them, also, KA-BAR still makes these knives.

Last edited by HE112; 09/12/16.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
must be they got enough of the blood stains off of it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HE112
In my apartment complex it is common to find things of value in the dumpsters, found an old and in rough condition KA-BAR knife with sheath yesterday.

It is partially blued in finish, I had to cold blue areas where it was ground to make it look nicer, the leather handle is totally loose, the frame of the knife is still welded to the end from the blade though, seems to be missing one of the steel handle spacers. The sheath is very old looking and has a loosening of the threads near the tip, rivet is gone too.

It says "KA-BAR" on one side of the blade near the hilt, and "USN" on the other side of the blade. Is it worth trying to restore it or should I just leave it alone? Sorry, no photos as of yet. I know that the US marines carried these in the island fighting, and that the Army may have used them, also, KA-BAR still makes these knives.

Fellow on ebay supplies cut leather washers, and what steel spacer are you talking about...same question as to the welding (pommel should be pined).

Please post some pictures of this one.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

ps...good find, and terrific project to play with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As they say, this thread is useless without pics...,

IC B2

H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ok guys, you convinced me. Attached are the photos, I was comparing it to my Dad's old Navy pilot knife that he carried made by Camillus and there is a metal part near the pommel that is missing, just need to install a replacement and the handle should tighten up.

Attached Images
knife 001.JPG (73.77 KB, 389 downloads)
knife 002.JPG (74.83 KB, 362 downloads)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nothing missing on that at all, just knock the pin out of the pommel and replace the shrunken washers, compress washers and reset pommel and pin.

Shape, and Bob's your uncle.

Upped the estimation, really really good find.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"must be they got enough of the blood stains off of it."

ha ha brilliant!

exactly my thoughts!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very good find and if you aren't interested in it yourself it would sell quickly on fleabay.

These were issue knives in 1095 steel, to seabees and frogmen. There are cheap knockoffs but it looks to be an original.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
That is pretty cool. My Dad found a large Buck 307 Stockman stuck into a tree in his yard about 4 years ago while doing yard work. He carried it until he passed and now I have it and have got a lot of use out of it. Sometimes you get lucky and find worthwhile stuff.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 300_savage, 222Sako, 30378, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,510
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.