Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11431989 09/12/16
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
What kind of a kit should I look for? A lot of the ones I find listed have lots of aspirin, ouchie size bandaids, but not things like blood clotter, tourniquet, or even a sling.

I am not trained, so that comes into consideration, too.

My thoughts are severe high altitude problems, falling off a cliff, cutting open a leg with an axe, orgunshot.

Any suggestions on what to buy to put together myself? Thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Moleskin,Benadryl, ibuprofen,some ointment like neosporin and some bandages to take care of cuts is what I carry in my pack.

I keep a bigger kit in my truck/base camp.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Rosco1 and I are on the same page. To his list I add a couple Quick Clot trauma pads and an ace bandage,complete with a partial roll of first aid tape. Never had much luck with the little butterfly thingys ace bandages come with. My hope is that I could bind a bad puncture with the ace bandage and Quick Clot pad(s). I hunt alone even with a half dozen others in camp. Too many hororstories afoot regarding knife accidents in the mountains.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wound Seal takes up almost no space and is supposed to be great for stopping bleeding. I carry it but have never needed to find out if it works.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Super Glue.....dermabond....2 tubes
Quick clot
Rubber tourniquet
Lidocaine pre filled syringe....Rx
Suture kit (pre threaded)
Small hemostat
Roll of black tape
Excedrin
Rolaids
Several 4x4 gauze

And if things aren't bad....maybe a couple bandaids

This is my pack first aid kit

I have all of the same stuff listed above in my truck kit with several Rx drugs to cover several possibles

All home made kits

NOTE***** replace the glue each year

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was looking at this kit, Adventure Medical Kits Grizzly First Aid Kit sold at Midway Usa for under a hundred bucks. I will carrying one of these for sure. Horror stories of careless knife injuries. Simple cuts can lead to nasty infections that we don't need.

This kit list blood clotters, sling, syringe for cleaning wounds and a lot of other things.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They used to recommend snake bit kits but they've changed that. They've had more serious injuries from cutting into the bite than what the snakes caused. When people get scared, they take those razors and just start whacking away.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always make sure I save any pain killers I have left over after dental procedures, eye surgery (have had Lasik a few times), etc. and put those in my first aid kit. Falls, twisted ankles, etc. are also a real possibility in the back country so need to be ready for those. Also be ready with medicines in case of cold/flu, stomach ailments, toothaches, etc.

Chris

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aside from the kit, think about a class. I really enjoyed a Wilderness First Aid class I took a few years ago. Instead of the Red Cross class where the first action is to call 911, they work from the premise that you are a few hours from the trailhead. It is knid of a McGuiver Medicine approach, you would be surprised what you can improvise with.

As for my kits, I have two. The small EDC kit has a clotting gauze packet, aspirin tablets, benadryl, some bandaids, super glue, gauze tape, neosporin ointment, small tweezers (i live in cactus country) and a few alcohol wipes. It is in a small plastic container about 3"x4"x1". It also has matches, a magnesium fire starter, candle nub, nylon string and a whistle. I have black electricians tape, probably 3 ft, wrapped around the outside of it. My larger kit, for backcountry trips or to keep in camp, is from Wilderness Medicine Institute. I added a Epi pen to that kit.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Super Glue.....dermabond....2 tubes
Quick clot
Rubber tourniquet
Lidocaine pre filled syringe....Rx
Suture kit (pre threaded)
Small hemostat
Roll of black tape
Excedrin
Rolaids
Several 4x4 gauze

And if things aren't bad....maybe a couple bandaids

This is my pack first aid kit

I have all of the same stuff listed above in my truck kit with several Rx drugs to cover several possibles

All home made kits

NOTE***** replace the glue each year

I'll 2nd the electrical tape and super glue. Tape can aid in a lot of fixes like finger splints or make a tourniquet and it could be used to hold a large cloth over a gaping wound. Of coarse it can also cover the muzzle. I have a least 2 roils with me at all times.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kennyd
What kind of a kit should I look for? A lot of the ones I find listed have lots of aspirin, ouchie size bandaids, but not things like blood clotter, tourniquet, or even a sling.

My thoughts are severe high altitude problems, falling off a cliff, cutting open a leg with an axe, orgunshot.

The basic kits are just that, pretty basic. For the life threatening issues you listed I would look at the first aid kits that are marketed for military or LE. They have tourniquets and dressings to (hopefully)stop the bleeding from a more serious wound like a cut from an axe/knife, or a gunshot wound. These require some training to use, however, as a tourniquet can make a bad situation worse if not used properly. These kits are usually spendy, but you can use them for an item list and get the items by yourself for a lot less.

How to treat a fall depends on several factors, the most important being whether or not the spinal column is compromised. Knowing how to properly move a person in that case is critical.

Also, having a form of communication to get help is vital. Should a life threatening accident happen, the goal should be to deliver a breathing, non hemorrhaging person to a professional health care setting ASAP. Being able to get Life Flight, Paramedics or a Search and Rescue team to your position quickly can be the difference in life or death.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'll 2nd the electrical tape and super glue. Tape can aid in a lot of fixes like finger splints or make a tourniquet and it could be used to hold a large cloth over a gaping wound. Of coarse it can also cover the muzzle. I have a least 2 roils with me at all times.
Don't buy cheap tape. Some of that stuff won't stick to itself let alone to anything else.

― George Orwell

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In addition: Take some eye drops to rinse out eyes. One year I was cutting a branch over my head and the saw dust got in my eye. Turns out the mossy stuff growing on bark does not go well with eyes. By day two my eyes were very goopy and it was hard to see. It went away, but almost cost me a hunt, at least a trip back to truck. Very easy to fix.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Don't buy cheap tape. Some of that stuff won't stick to itself let alone to anything else.

And is nearly useless at temps below freezing.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by prm
In addition: Take some eye drops to rinse out eyes. One year I was cutting a branch over my head and the saw dust got in my eye. Turns out the mossy stuff growing on bark does not go well with eyes. By day two my eyes were very goopy and it was hard to see. It went away, but almost cost me a hunt, at least a trip back to truck. Very easy to fix.

Sound advice. Makes sense to me. I also carry some lip balm. Damn that mountain air is dry.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with Rock Chuck. Add some wound seal or liquid bandaid. It worked great on a cut I got trying to chop up some kindling on the first day of an elk hunt a couple of years ago.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Read "Wilderness Medicine" by Dr. William A. Forgey ISBN 978-0-7627-8070-9. Get the latest edition because Dr. Forgey continuously updates based on medical advances.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
Originally Posted by kennyd

The basic kits are just that, pretty basic. For the life threatening issues you listed I would look at the first aid kits that are marketed for military or LE. They have tourniquets and dressings to (hopefully)stop the bleeding from a more serious wound like a cut from an axe/knife, or a gunshot wound. These require some training to use, however, as a tourniquet can make a bad situation worse if not used properly. These kits are usually spendy, but you can use them for an item list and get the items by yourself for a lot less.

How to treat a fall depends on several factors, the most important being whether or not the spinal column is compromised. Knowing how to properly move a person in that case is critical.

Also, having a form of communication to get help is vital. Should a life threatening accident happen, the goal should be to deliver a breathing, non hemorrhaging person to a professional health care setting ASAP. Being able to get Life Flight, Paramedics or a Search and Rescue team to your position quickly can be the difference in life or death.

A way to communicate is important. Just got a call hrs ago, the hunting party I was supposed to be part of "blew out my knee" had a serious accident. One friend had to be heli evacuated to a hospital in Great Falls.

21 rib fractures, broken arm , crushed liver and lacerated spleen. Were it not for the Satellite Phone he would have died on the mountain. Doc was suprised he survived period. Also lucky was a place for the chopper to land about 100 yards from the injured. 2 hrs is what it took to get to him. Were hunting alone none of this would have mattered , he would be dead now. And lucky for him 1 friend had EMT training.
Prayers to my friend.

Also important is not to take chances , don't care about that 400 bull if things are dicey. JMHO

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a SPOT. That, or a similar device, can be a lifesaver. Just push 1 button and help will come calling.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The spot makes sense and will be added to my pack in the future. However my buddy cound not do squat to help himself. Someone would have gone out to search at some point. However had it happened midday alone he would have been dead by then.
He has family at his bedside ,tried to call but not till after he's out of ICU.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.