-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I spent time around Grizzlies I'd probably carry a G23. Or more likely, a S&W Shield in 45 ACP or .40 S&W.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd carry a 480 Alaskan, maybe two.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
If I spent time around Grizzlies I'd probably carry a G23. Or more likely, a S&W Shield in 45 ACP or .40 S&W.

Dave

In that case, what would you have your shield stoked with?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Glock 20 10 MM with 220 grain Buffalo Bores. I can shoot it better than my S&W model 29 in rapid fire.

Its also easier to grab and go with 3 loaded 15 round mags for a quick plane trip or boat ride.

One 10 MM 220 grain might not work but its got 14 friends.
ŷ.

Put me in the Glock20 10mm camp.
I heard that Swedes that patrol in Greenland are issued those as protection against Polar Bears...I guess they should know.
As a backup a revolver for sure..say a Ruger SRH in 454Casul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm kinda partial to the 480 srh, something about 400 gr @ 1200 fps that gives me a warm fuzzy. That said I'm likely going to pick up one of the Ruger 4" 45 colt redhawks. Much handier and 330 gr @ 1200 fps isn't much in a drop in balistics.

For a self shucker, a Glock 20 has much appeal.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger's 4 inch Redhawk in .45 colt.
I shoot 2 loads in this. One is a 250 gr. SWC with a mild dose of Unique. The other is a 330 gr. GC, wide meplate both are made from wheel weights, with a max dose of H110 which is the bottom end of a Casul load. The second load is quite the handful, but I doubt you would notice it in an adrenaline charged situation.
It is packable, accurate, and you can plink with the first load.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by j2dogs; 09/17/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Glock 20 10 MM with 220 grain Buffalo Bores. I can shoot it better than my S&W model 29 in rapid fire.

Its also easier to grab and go with 3 loaded 15 round mags for a quick plane trip or boat ride.

One 10 MM 220 grain might not work but its got 14 friends.
ŷ.

Put me in the Glock20 10mm camp.
I heard that Swedes that patrol in Greenland are issued those as protection against Polar Bears...I guess they should know.
As a backup a revolver for sure..say a Ruger SRH in 454Casul

Swedes?

Greenland belongs to Denmark. Not sure what the Danes would think about Swedes messing with polar bears. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swedes, Danes - damn near interchangeable!

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I only lived in Alaska for 33 years, and had a few incidents with the various animals that will bite or stomp you. Like most gun people I have a number of guns in various calibers that I felt comfortable with. I mostly carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. More important than caliber (starting with 44) is the quality of Ammo. I'm VERY confident in the Buffalo Bore ammo LBT. There are other good ammo, that will work but that is what I have the most experience with. Examples of gun that I've carried over the years.
Super Blackhawk 44 Mag
Ruger Redhawk 4" in both 44 Mag and 45 Colt.
Ruger Alaskan in 44 Mag, 454 (that I carried 45 Colt ammo in) and 480. I'm also a believer in something light and handy enough that you will have it with you. Closest incident was a moose that I had the hammer back on and caressing the trigger. I've drawn my gun on several occasions because of bears who were too close. One never knows what's going to come up. For Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUG8UPsgE3U This also shows that full contact isn't necessary to need your gun real bad.

By the way, the Ruger 480 is alive and well, I trust it thoroughly.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by teal
So - ideas on a general hip companion? Thinking stainless, revolver, probably starts with a .4

And to be clear - this is totally bench racing. I'm not living there, not visiting etc - just thinking.

I'd have to think a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag? 5.5 inch barrel?

That's my carry.

Manageable w. Buffalo Bore 310s @ 1235 and not undergunned.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MojoHand
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that chest holster. Have one coming for my Glock 21 on Friday. Should be handy when I'm on the tractor or the utv at our place in Virginia.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yesterday, on one of Paco Kelly's forums, I came across a really good quote on shooting critters with a handgun. I thought that it was worth sharing...

“I have heard it said..."that if you want to eat it, use jacketed hollow points. If it wants to eat you, use hard cast.”

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CraigD
Yesterday, on one of Paco Kelly's forums, I came across a really good quote on shooting critters with a handgun. I thought that it was worth sharing...

“I have heard it said..."that if you want to eat it, use jacketed hollow points. If it wants to eat you, use hard cast.”

Good saying, IMO.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Written by a really stupid person and believed by morons. Why? If you think the goal is to kill a big bear - you're a fool (and likely to show up in the scat). The goal is to stop the attack. A JHP will put a bigger hurt on a critter than hardcast and the critter's attention to turn to the owie and away from you.

Thats the reason bear spray works. Only gays and fuecktards believe they will actually carry a hip cannon that will quickly kill a bear with hardcast.

And Deflave will still be eating Cheetoes out of Craigc's [bleep] while responding.

Last edited by dla; 09/25/16.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla

Written by a really stupid person and believed by morons. Why? If you think the goal is to kill a big bear - you're a fool (and likely to show up in the scat). The goal is to stop the attack. A JHP will put a bigger hurt on a critter than hardcast and the critter's attention to turn to the owie and away from you.

Thats the reason bear spray works. Only gays and fuecktards believe they will actually carry a hip cannon that will quickly kill a bear with hardcast.

And Deflave will still be eating Cheetoes out of Craigc's [bleep] while responding.

This is the dumbest crap I've read in a long time, infact it is hilarious! Phil Shoemaker a few weeks ago killed a 900 pound bear that charged his fishermen that he was guiding useing hard cast infact he killed the bear with body shots from a 9mm shooting 147 grain hard cast. Folks with experience know that penetration is your friend Phil has over 30 years experience with big bears.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

Geezzz...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Along with Phil's recent incident, maybe dla should read Larry Kelly's bear story. If I remember correctly, the jacked bullets failed miserably on an attacking bear,which was killed by the guide's .375 H&H. Later using hard cast bullets in the same handgun killed a bear with a single shot. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
Along with Phil's recent incident, maybe dla should read Larry Kelly's bear story. If I remember correctly, the jacked bullets failed miserably on an attacking bear,which was killed by the guide's .375 H&H. Later using hard cast bullets in the same handgun killed a bear with a single shot. memtb

Yup. at point blank range, he emptied his revolver into the bear. If memory serves me correctly, this was the point at which Larry Kelly went with heavy-for-caliber hardcast bullets. Penetration is your friend.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
not an Alaskan so not speaking from experience but i would go any of the full size offerings from Glock, H&K, SIG, S&W etc that hold 16-18 rounds in 9mm

More bullets, less recoil, faster follow-up shots for me anyways...
I would load these..

Lehigh xtreme penetrators. expensive? yeah but my survival is worth it for that situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA

Seems it would penetrate like crazy, while still potentially doing more damage than say an FMJ and like I mentioned 16-18 rounds

Last edited by DAMARA; 09/25/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
maybe dla should read

I think this covers everything nicely....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.