Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So last week I successfully tagged an average 130lb (dressed) New England black bear. The shot that was given to me for a split second was one with the bear slowly walking away around 80 yards looking back at me in the wind carrying my scent despite the cover/attractant scents I was using to combat this situation. I instinctivively shot to drop the bear in its tracks by lodging a 150gr Barnes TTSX in a Kimber Adirondack .308 between its shoulder blades, essentially leaving him immobile and dead in his tracks. However, the shot freehand pulled left 2-4" outside the intended area and punched a clean hole through his left lung leaving me tracking him for a good 1/8th mile through the thickest, muckiest terrain I've ever experienced, in the rain, all after the well known death moan 30 seconds after the shot.

I was surprised how little damage the round made in this circumstance, however I'm asking you all if I used the correct bullet choice, or should I opt for something different for this species?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Classic mono performance.

Lead cores destruct tissue much better.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The never ending debate continues

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A buddy shot one about 200 pounds with a 340 Weatherby and 210 Partition up in Maine, a hair too far back. It went about the same distance.

Sounds like a difficult angle,and tough shot especially where you catch one lung and you can expect them to travel a bit after a hit like that. I have used mostly Partitions and Bitterroots on mine....no problems.

You can't fool a bear's nose.... smile

How do you like the Adirondack?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Are those 1-12"?

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
220 yards tracking job on a bad shot placement single lung shot? I don't think there is a bullet performance issue here. Some other bullets would have led to a lost animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An animal with one good lung can go a long ways.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Poor shot placement and the HORSESHIT about monos as the usual suspect comes out every time...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Poor shot placement and the HORSESHIT about monos as the usual suspect comes out every time...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1

Tis a poor workman who blames his tools.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Should have used the 130 TTSX. That said I have leveled big black bears out to 325 yards with the 168 TTSX OUT OF A 300 Rum. You really need speed to get the TTSX to work best. I doubt any bullet would have faired much better in your scenario

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So what I got out of that was the OP pulled the shot, missed the spine, took out a lung, had to track in rain, but still killed and recovered the bear. I'd say the problem wasn't in the bullet, but the shot placement. Rushed shots rarely have the immediate desired results.

I've not shot a lot of Barnes or other mono metal bullets, but I have friends who do. I also use them in my daughter's deer rifles just to manage the recoil for her by using lighter bullets than I'd use in a cup-n-core bullet. I have faith in the Barnes bullets and their effectiveness on game.

I still love the Nosler Partition and if I want a bullet that I know will get the job done every time I still reach for that one first. I know it's not the sexiest bullet, or the best long range option out there but it simply works well at the ranges I usually shoot. I used the Partition to secure my black bear in my avatar in one shot, but I had better shot presentation and was able to punch through both front shoulders. While I hastily took the shot at 200 yards, I wasn't offhand (off shooting sticks) and the bear didn't know I was there yet.

Here he is in larger pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
At typical New England shot distances, I don't see an issue with a C&C type bullet(Hornady, Nosler, Core lokt, take your pick), especially a 180 RN which is going to open quick and do alot of damage. As for bullet failure in this case, I agree with the others, poor shot placement can not be called bullet failure

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One shot lung shot kill on a soft skinned animal, I don't see any problems here.

You only got one lung and it ran a little but you heard death moan within 30 seconds so it obviously did some real good damage somehow that you are not seeing. Again, you should be tickled pink with the outcome.

Last edited by southwind; 09/14/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

There IS that...of course. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
.... punched a clean hole through his left lung leaving me tracking him for a good 1/8th mile through the thickest, muckiest terrain I've ever experienced, in the rain, all after the well known death moan 30 seconds after the shot.

I was surprised how little damage the round made in this circumstance, however I'm asking you all if I used the correct bullet choice, or should I opt for something different for this species?

It's not uncommon, after a shot, to second guess a bullet. The reality is that there is no single bullet which is always the best choice for the circumstances. However, it sounds like your bullet and your shot did the job about as quickly and humanely as any could have. "Shocking" an animal to the ground where it stands, regardless the projectile, caliber, or power is nowhere near as reliable as making a solid CNS hit.

It's very possible that a Partition or Interlock might have dropped the animal with less tracking, but it's almost certain that the next shot you take will be a completely different set of circumstances too. But nothing drops animals faster than breaking major bones, and nothing beats hard, expanding monolithics for breaking big bones.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barnes work great when they hit bone. Soft tissue wise I would look to a 165 Ballistic Tip or 165 Hornady BTSP.

On the plus side you still have a dead bear! Congrats.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a caribou with a 375 Rum using 270gr TSX killed it deader than hell. End of Story

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
One 225 gr TTSX (338-06, i.e., lower velocity) broadside low and behind the shoulder and this guy just dropped. A 100 yard shot. Bullet whizzed through with substantial destruction.

[Linked Image]

Same with this guy though quartering towards. A 150 yard shot.

[Linked Image]

We used the 200 gr TTSX with the 358 Win (slow again) in Africa in 2012 on all manner of game. All dropped at the shot.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all the input fellas. I see free hand shooting drills using cup & core bullets in my soon future ✔️

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
. How do you like the Adirondack?

I love it! The ergonomics fit me perfect, it's accurate, and a handy light rifle when hiking through the deep NH woods I hunt. My Adirondack shoots MOA or better, with minimal change of POI using 150gr Remington Core-Lokts, Hornady American Whitetail, Barnes Vortex, Winchester PP, and Winchester Balistic tip ammo.

Reloading will show more promise off the bench but I'll settle for factory loads until my house remodeling project is complete smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.