Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Kenetrek Hardscrabbles

I've logged well over 200 miles in these boots but most of those miles were on mild terrain with a light pack. In the past few months I've been training for a backpack coues hunt. The training consists of a 55 lb pack and as much elevation as I can find in south Alabama (which isn't much). With duration of any significance, sweat, and hills, combined with the pack weight, I am getting hot spots despite a callused heal. Liners don't help. Leukatape helps but I don't want to get on the coues mountain and learn it doesn't help enough.

Looks like I better pull the trigger on another pair of boots fast and start logging the miles. I'm thinking the Lowa Tibet GTX will get the first shot.

This is a callus, not a blister. You'd think it would offer enough protection. But then again, the fact that there is such a callus is reason for concern.

[Linked Image]

GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my Lowa Tibet boots! They are very comfy and well built.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you tried a sock liner?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on his statement that liners don't help, I can only assume he has...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Try a pair of Hanwags!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Smartwool liners could help possibly if you haven't tried them.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
CT--Moleskin works pretty well for me when I have those issues with my boots. So far, I have left it on for as long as it holds up and only change it when it gets loose or wears out. Always carry extra supply when hiking/backpacking.
Usually if the boots are close for a proper fit, that will work.
Good luck.
Joe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Hardscrabbles were great everywhere except steep uphills. There, despite two years use and a LOT of miles, they kept turning my heels to hamburger.

They have been relegated to everyday hikers, and my backpacking boots are now HanWags.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had similar hotspots for years until I tried Schnee's Beartooth.

No blisters or hotspots for 5 years now.

Something out there will fit you right.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the responses. Liners havent done much good. Leukatape seems to work but I have been resisting relying on it.

Rick, a burn on steep sections is exactly my issue too.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There are multiple ways to lace that might help. The problem is that your heel is slipping up and down in the boot. Google it and see some of the options, seeing it is probably better than trying to read what I'm thinking.
Ways to fit boots. Lace them up, kick your foot forward and hit it on the ground with the entire sole. If your toes touch the end, they're too small, or potentially way too big.

Then put one foot behind the other at a 90 degree angle if you don't have a steep hill. Hold the sole of the boot down with one foot and try to lift heel out of the heel pocket. If you can, they're too big or just don't fit. You can also try this on a steep hill, leave your back foot down and see if you can raise your heel leaving the boot on the ground.

I've fit a lot of boots and had great luck with those two initial tests. After passing those, wear them for 30 minutes and see if they're comfortable.
Try them on at the end of the day as your feet swell towards the end. Then try them in the morning.

Good luck

Keep Smiling
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Jon, I appreciate the tips. The boots pass all the fit tests and feel perfect. I am confident they are sized correctly. They are very comfortable with my favorite toe box of any I've ever tried. Everything goes great until you get in the steep stuff.

Tape seems to work. Maybe I'll get through this year with it and reassess after hunting season.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I just bought two pairs of Crispi's about a month ago and am loving them.

I have very wide feet so fit is sometimes problematic but the Crispi's have been great.

Kenetrek's absolutely killed my feet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

I just bought two pairs of Crispi's about a month ago and am loving them.

I have very wide feet so fit is sometimes problematic but the Crispi's have been great.

Kenetrek's absolutely killed my feet.

Kenetrek chewed up my feet too. I also have very wide feet. I wear a size 13 and boots are usually too narrow. Never thought of Crispi's being a good choice for me, but Ill have to try some.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I know there are mixed opinion's on the Meindl's but I added a 2nd pair of Perfekt's to my rotation last year. I simply don't get blister with them. I change socks at lunch when I'm on the hunt and I only wear wool. these boots have been good to my tender feet (and I don't have callouses )

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crispi's have been great for me. I've used Kenetrek, Lowa, Hanwag, Scarpa, Meindl and several others. Crispi fits me best and I have no heel slippage with them. I have a wide forefoot/toebox but a very narrow heel and they are the only ones I've found that work for that type foot. I use the Nevadas and the Hunters.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Ebby, it seems like me and you are alike in fit; most boots cramp my toes and are big in the heel. I like the leather Nevadas but does the insulation prevent summer use? I assume so. My hunting of recent years is limited to the warm southwest and I've no need for insulation. My preference, because extreme cold is not part of the equation, is one boot and one sock system for everything; summer, fall, winter, spring. Training now, in 90+ degree temps would be tough with insulation.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Salomon Quest 4D GTX work great for me.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
prm, I've been thinking about the Salomon Quest 4D and will probably try some due to really good pricing right now ($149 on Amazon) but the below quote has me hesitate for my current purpose. I will be hunting exactly the same terrain this November. I've been there recently (January of this year), a little below coues elevation, and it can be very very tough on boots and body. Me and the Kenetreks held up great, a lesser boot would concern me, but on one very steep climb I got hotspots (no tape) which is when the worry started to build. I will be doing those steep climbs multiple times per day with more weight on the next go.

Meanwhile, the border crossers are proficient on those mountains wearing tennis shoes. LOL

Originally Posted by STS45
The Salomon 4D GTX is hands down the most comfortable boot I have worn. It is an excellent boot. The only time I wished I had something stiffer was when I was hunting coues deer literally RIGHT on the border with GregW. We were climbing a super steep rocky nasty tough mountain and the Salomon's had too much flex. The terrain was so steep and rocky I felt my feet where moving and slipping in the boot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Nevada's haven't been too hot for me. I use them in 70-80's without any problem. They are not really well insulated and below 35-40, you will notice it unless you are moving. I've found the fit of Crispi to be pretty similar across their line. I had a pair on Laponia's which were a lighter weight and un-insulated option. They fit the same. They have some un-insulated boots if you want to try them out. I think you will find the fit to be good if you have the same foot type as me. Black Ovis carries most of their line in the US.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.