Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Is it customary to tip the pilot on an unguided, self outfitted trip? We are paying the service to put us in a good area and haul us and our stuff in and out. Thanks folks.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
We tipped our pilot, on the one fly-out trip I did. I appreciate good service, no matter the venue, so I tend to tip accordingly.

They dropped us off, did a fly-over mid-week, and picked us up exactly when they said they would. We didn't kill a sheep on that trip, but that wasn't their fault.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The whole tipping thing is stupid. It should never have started. It has gotten to the place where people feel hurt if they don't get tipped for doing their job.

Why should you have to tip to be put in a good area? And they haul your stuff in and out; cry me a river. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? Oh, and they get tipped for being on time? Aren't they supposed to be on time? Isn't that what they're paid for?

What is even worse is when some magnanimous big wheel decides to "tip" customs staff, etc. in some of the lesser developed countries. Then what starts out as tipping turns into the necessity to bribe in order for the various officials to do their job.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Tipping is retarded.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Tipping is retarded. Agreed.

Do you tip you plumber, electrician, mechanic, physician? How bout tipping your local utility company for bringing you constant power, and the water district and so on.

How much do you get tipped?

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
We tipped our pilot, on the one fly-out trip I did. I appreciate good service, no matter the venue, so I tend to tip accordingly.

They dropped us off, did a fly-over mid-week, and picked us up exactly when they said they would. We didn't kill a sheep on that trip, but that wasn't their fault.

I'd probably trip for that, have never had midweek flyovers, haven't been picked up when they said, etc etc.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope I've never tipped my bush pilot

But only a few times that it's been my show.

Most of my flying was as a hired hand for an outfitter

Haven't tipped the pilot in the past, am giving it some thought and unless my pilotmhelps me load, unload game outa the aircraft I'm probably not inclined to tip in the future either.

On time is a relative term in bush flying ime, I don't hold it against the pilot for delays

Chit happens

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pilots don't expect to get tipped, but if they do an exceptional job, or go above and beyond in some way then a tip can be a tangible way of showing your appreciation.

And believe me, the pilot will appreciate it and remember it.
It helps make up for the many inconsiderate and thoughtless passengers the pilot has to deal with.

Like the guy that ate an apple and then just shoved his apple core down between the seat cushions. Or the guys that showed up two hours late to the airport without calling, because they decided to stop at the saloon on the way. Now they are half drunk, and the pilot is going to be two hours late getting home that night. And the pilot has a 6:00 AM show time the next morning to fly on two less hours of sleep.

Or the guy that has been told that he can only bring 75 pounds of gear with him, and he shows up with 175 pounds of stuff and blows up at the pilot. And the pilot is just trying to keep them both safe and alive.

Again, the pilot doesn't expect a tip. But if you think he deserves one, then don't hesitate to do it. It doesn't have to be much. Even $10 bucks with a smile and a suggestion to get himself a better meal the next chance he gets is just fine.

In any case, try to thank the pilot for getting you to your destination safely, even if the ride was rough, and especially if the weather was bad.

May your next flight be a safe one and and an enjoyable part of the adventure.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've never tipped a pilot with money.

I have shared food, homemade baked goods, elk sausage, venison and elk meat etc. pilots really seem to appreciate those things they can take home and share with the missus.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tarkio,
That is also a great idea.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I had forgotten about another fly-in trip we did in Canada, a fishing trip, back in '99. On the dash of the Beaver was a placard that read, "Tipping your pilot helps him remember where he left you." grin

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny... I always tip the pilot at least $100, sometimes $200, and you know what? I'm usually the first guy to get picked up, and the first guy to get into the field when weather delays... also get my choice of spots. YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just don't act like a pompous, entitled SOB and I probably won't hear you mentioned with the same disdain I've heard for the Murkowski clan. whistle

Chartered or not, pilots of the smaller planes always seem to appreciate simple gestures of gratitude.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well deserved when they do more than simply pilot a plane. On our trips, they did several circles to show us the lay of the land, pointed out near by game, had to load meat (moose) on their own when we placed it on another lake some distance from our camp. They also pointed out potential camp sites or sheltered areas relative to prevailing weather patterns. They also put us in spots not heavily frequented (no signs of previous camps) such that our party could land in the Beaver, but had to bring us out individually to make it out. Dropped us at a larger pond with room to get off with a full load.

On a moose outing, they once came and moved us at no charge when it seemed game had cleared out of the area. Last, they once stopped a day ahead of schedule and let us know a major storm was on the way. The offer was to be ready to go in 2 hours. The party elected to leave early, and I'm glad I was out voted. It rained for 3 days like I've never seen it rain before.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/14/16.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Well deserved when they do more than simply pilot a plane. On our trips, they did several circles to show us the lay of the land, pointed out near by game, had to load meat (moose) on their own when we placed it on another lake some distance from our camp. They also pointed out potential camp sites or sheltered areas relative to prevailing weather patterns. They also put us in spots not heavily frequented (no signs of previous camps) such that our party could land in the Beaver, but had to bring out individually to make it out. Dropped us at a larger pond with room to get off with a full load.

On a moose outing, they once came and moved us at no charge when it seemed game had cleared out of the area.

Yep that'd qualify to make me crack my wallet open. That's some good service, above & beyond the call ime

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always considered tipping as a way of showing appreciation for a job done above and beyond what they are already being paid for.

When it becomes a must-do then it is a short step until you will have to pay it in advance --- like many guides ask for Asian countries.

If you don't like the idea of tipping you would absolutely hate having a stranger stick their hand out and saying " I would like my tip now" at the beginning of your trip

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that's a pretty good attitude to have about it imo Phil

probably one of the reasons your outfit enjoys the good reputation it has.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All anyone needs to know about tipping and when it's appropriate in the four previous posts. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 64 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,225
Posts18,466,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.